Heel shifter?

I wont ride with out one

maybe just me but my trike does NOT clunk when I use te heel shifter

Now that you mention that, I don't recall mine clunking either. :)

If u look at the linkage, the heel shifter has less mechanical effort involved to shift the gears JMO = less clunk this comes to me via several baggers and 2 trikes with heel toe shifters

I wont ride with out one

maybe just me but my trike does NOT clunk when I use te heel shifter

I am glad someone else has the same impression. I think it shifts better with the heel shifter too. For a while there I thought I was loosing my mind. I also adjusted mine down as low as it would go. May have to look into the extended shifter as well.

I am glad someone else has the same impression. I think it shifts better with the heel shifter too. For a while there I thought I was loosing my mind. I also adjusted mine down as low as it would go. May have to look into the extended shifter as well.

LOL, Dont take my word for it ;)

I just know what works for me

I guess I spend TOO much of my time analyzing every thing:cool:

LOL, Dont take my word for it ;)

I just know what works for me

I guess I spend TOO much of my time analyzing every thing:cool:

I tried all kinds of trickery, preloading the shifter (BMW style), watching RPMs for sweet spots, light, medium and hard acceleration and then the magic heel shifter. Amazing, simply amazing! All I can say is an old dog can learn new tricks.

2 things come to mind with the heel shifter

Actually more

Any way, the MOCO stopped drilling and tapping the primary housing where the shifter shaft runs thru, Problem solved on my last 2 trikes

the shifter levers I have removed and put a wave washer on the shaft before putting the shifter arms back on, Why? Good question, grab your shifter see how much it wiggles? The wave washer will take out most of the slop { years ago on older baggers we would cut an old valve spring down instead to put more tension on, BUT it was hit and miss}

Pingel makes a shifter shaft with a grease fitting in the end so no drilling is needed

{ u can drill and tap the rear brake pedal also} I did both shafts on the trike, if u r careful and drill slow and use a blow gun and pump a lot of grease thru when u r done, there is NO need to remove any parts JMO with 13k miles and NO ill affects on my 17 M8 FREEWHEELER

The wave washers can be had at any Lowes or Home Depot look below

209794.jpg

I wouldn't be without the heel shifter on My Police FLH but on the Tri Glide it just is awkward to me with the seat position. My feet feel cramped on the boards and its just in the way. Just had a spacer made and moved toe lever to outer position. Haven't taken it out for a test yet.

IMG_0766.JPG

My triglide has the heel shifter which is a new thing for me since I haven't rode in 20-25 years. Not sure they were even around back then.

Question is do people really use them much, I am thinking of getting rid of mine as I never used one before and really haven't gotten used to it being an option while riding.

Who says you can't teach an old dog ... after reading more posts I decided to re-install the heel shifter lever. I've removed it on my other 2-wheel Harleys (4) over the years and never had an issue with finding neutral. When the engine isn't up to normal temp., a soft tap of the heel shifter finds neutral like magic! When the engine is hot, as in it's 105 degrees in Las Vegas and I'm riding in stop and go traffic, the heel shifter isn't much good - yet. I ordered and extended heel lever and will try it again. (The stock levers don't leave enough room on the boards for my size 13 boats.)

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/folding-heel-shifter

This will give you more room. Rear shift linkage that allows the peg to move to a 45 degree position.

Bob :Dorag:

Not sure I'd like a swiveling heel pad - doesn't look very safe to me.

The extended lever is much more user friendly. I have mine lowered enough that I hardly have to raise my heel = almost level with the floor board.

I watched one of the gals in our chapter using her heel shifter (not the same one that lost hers). She would raise her foot almost 8" above the shifter. I told her about the extender and lowering it, but she said she liked doing it her way better. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand now. I guess if you get use to doing something, you don't want to change - even if it's better.

My setup is perfect, comfortable and very user friendly. Plus, as I stated earlier, you have a backup - just in case.

Not sure I'd like a swiveling heel pad - doesn't look very safe to me.

The extended lever is much more user friendly. I have mine lowered enough that I hardly have to raise my heel = almost level with the floor board.

I watched one of the gals in our chapter using her heel shifter (not the same one that lost hers). She would raise her foot almost 8" above the shifter. I told her about the extender and lowering it, but she said she liked doing it her way better. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand now. I guess if you get use to doing something, you don't want to change - even if it's better.

My setup is perfect, comfortable and very user friendly. Plus, as I stated earlier, you have a backup - just in case.

Some people feel its more Manly to pound on the heal shifter .... ;)

My triglide has the heel shifter which is a new thing for me since I haven't rode in 20-25 years. Not sure they were even around back then.

Question is do people really use them much, I am thinking of getting rid of mine as I never used one before and really haven't gotten used to it being an option while riding.

Who says you can't teach an old dog ... after reading more posts I decided to re-install the heel shifter lever. I've removed it on my other 2-wheel Harleys (4) over the years and never had an issue with finding neutral. When the engine isn't up to normal temp., a soft tap of the heel shifter finds neutral like magic! When the engine is hot, as in it's 105 degrees in Las Vegas and I'm riding in stop and go traffic, the heel shifter isn't much good - yet. I ordered and extended heel lever and will try it again. (The stock levers don't leave enough room on the boards for my size 13 boats.)

Good to see somebody else that wears a 13 boot. I think I'll try the extender and see how it works. I live in Vegas also, WHEN ITS HOT, ITS HOT.

I've had 7 or 8 Harley's and 6 out of them i use my heel shifter to shift gears. I had a a sore toe and dropping a engine part on it and had to shift that way. Got so use to doing it that way I still do it to this day. :D

Might not be for everyone ! BUT works for me..

I must not be using the right search terms. Anybody have a link to the extended heel lever?

ETA: I tried again and found a link. Thanks

Another add: Ordered

I must not be using the right search terms. Anybody have a link to the extended heel lever?

ETA: I tried again and found a link. Thanks

Another add: Ordered

My extended lever came in this morning. I put it on and lowered it a notch. Rode it a little and with a little time, I'm sure I will like the extra room. Only thing is the one I ordered has poor quality chrome. I can see what looks like copper through some imperfections. Oh, the pinch bolt was smaller than stock, not as beefy.

ETA: I still want that longer peg for the toe shift lever like Bill G shows in post #5.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png