Heel shifter?

hardwickbv

1500+ Posts
Mar 5, 2017
Mitchell, Indiana, USA
My triglide has the heel shifter which is a new thing for me since I haven't rode in 20-25 years. Not sure they were even around back then.

Question is do people really use them much, I am thinking of getting rid of mine as I never used one before and really haven't gotten used to it being an option while riding.

Sell me one way or the other!

Thanks

Bob

I never had a heel shifter until I bought the 2002 road king, took off the heel shifter and never did miss it, first bike I ever had that had one, my 2016 triglide has one and I bought the gizmo from HD so I can take it off .

Never could get used to it, I know some like it and some don't, been riding for 50 years and never had one so why start now.

All for now Trampas

I had one on a VTX 1300 & I rarely used it in 40,000 miles. My Switchback did not have one. I tried using it again on my Tri and after about 3000 miles, I just took it off. I moved my floor boards out an 1" (DK extensions), put a spacer on the shifter shaft and moved the toe sifter to the outside spot. This works very well for me. My BIL loves his heal sifter & wouldn't be with out it for anything. So, different strokes for different folks.

I do not care for the stock short factory Harley heal shifters. On the other hand I love a good quality extended heal shifter like the V Twin Manufacturing extended shifter in the pic below that I use. I love the extended heal shifter it gives me all the floorboard space I could want where the stock one did not and confined my foot. The extended heal shifter adjusted low like mine and correct allows for fast and easy shifts with plenty of foot room on the floorboards. The V Twin Manufacturing heal shifter has worked great on every touring model Harley I have owned including our 2017 Trike in the pic below. ThumbUp

I also have the 1" floorboard extension kit installed along with the LA Choppers extended front shift peg along with the V Twin Manufacturing extended heal shifter arm. This is an excellent set up on a Tri Glide Trike for comfort and function. ThumbUp

Ride Safe, :)

Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 588
I enjoy my heel shifter also and it is set up the same way Bill G has posted above without the rear ext. yet and I say yet as I have never used a longer shifter arm on the rear and may try one soon. Doc

I Luv Luv Luv the heel toe shifter. You don't get your boots messed up with shifting up with the top of your foot or the top of your foot sore after a long day of repeated shifting. It takes a lot less effort to either tap down with your toes or kick down with your heal. I rode 40 years with out one and now 8 years with. I would never go back to the old way. If anyone has the heel shifter they took off and don't want, let me know. My daughters ex took the heel shifter off her Harley and who know where it went. She has since had an injury and some surgery. If she could put the heel shifter back on, it would make her riding much easier.

I honestly tried to get used to a heal shifter on all three of my last Harleys. First one that came with it I lasted about a week, second one about two days, current one I only sat on it and told the dealer to remove it before I left the lot.

Riding buddy has been riding over 45 years like me and wouldn't be without one. I just don't like them. Guess I'm too stupid to change.

First, I fought with the idea of a windshield. I got a windshield and would never have a bike afterwards that didn't have one. Second, I fought with the idea of a radio. I got a radio and would never have a motorcycle without one again. Third, I fought with the idea of a heel shifter. My Road King has the extended heel shifter, and I liked it so much that when I rode my FXR I made one for it too.

Getting spoiled I guess.....
:D

I honestly tried to get used to a heal shifter on all three of my last Harleys. First one that came with it I lasted about a week, second one about two days, current one I only sat on it and told the dealer to remove it before I left the lot.

Riding buddy has been riding over 45 years like me and wouldn't be without one. I just don't like them. Guess I'm too stupid to change.

The only time i use the heal shifter is to pop the trans into neutral at a stop or when i start the trike.....

The only time i use the heal shifter is to pop the trans into neutral at a stop or when i start the trike.....

I guess it's what you get used to. The trike is the third bike I've had with a heel shifter and it's use is second nature to me now......along with saving the toe of my boot from getting scraped up. :laugh:

Heel shifter.jpgThere is one other option for the heel shifter, a lot of people take it off because they say that it gets in the way of moving your feet around on the boards. Harley makes one that the end piece pivots back to a 45* angle giving you more room. Mine usually stays folded back and shifts just fine like that.

Last edited:
One other thing I thought of last night on this was for those of us who have bad knees (especially me), it's easier to just let the heel drop down on the shifter rather than picking up with my toe.

I still have a VTX 1300 retro that came with heel-toe-shifter. Never could get used to using it. Just didn't feel natural to me. The only time I use the heel shifter on the '14 Triglide is too find neutral. Found neutral once with toe but only once and by accident. Seems neutral on the Triglide is harder to find than Big foot!:cool:

A lot of folks don't like/use their heel shifter, so they get rid of it. One benefit is full use of the floorboard without the heel shifter in the way.

We make a Heel Shift Eliminator, you can see it HERE.

I tried it out for a while. While I rarely use the heel shifter, when I do, I am happy it is there. So when I did not have it, while I liked the extra room on the floorboard, I really missed it.

Main times I use the heel shifter are to find neutral and to up shift when my feet are on the highway pegs. Coming from the highway peg to the heel shifter and back to the highway peg is far easier than doing the same with the toe shifter.

Kevin

I adjusted my heel shifter one spline down. Allows it to slightly compress the rubber floorboard insert when I use it. Heel lift is way less and makes it much more comfortable to use. I never had one before the TG and now I can't imagine riding a floorboard cycle without it. I also added the heim joint H-D buckshot linkage rod and it took all the slop out of the shift linkage.

Bob :Dorag:

buckshot.jpg

I have done the same thing adjusted the heel/toe shift levers as low as I could without hitting the floorboard.

Liked the heel shifting when I had the TRI.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png