Extra Gas

Got around to ordering 2 30oz bottles for extra gas.........just-in-case stuff. They fit perfectly in the cubby hole on each side of the trunk from Roadsmith. Nice to have the added piece of mind. :)
Amazon.com: MSR Fuel Bottle: Sports & Outdoors

I bought 2 about 2 months ago. They fit great in my MT trunk. I dump them in the tank about every 10~14 days. Haven't been refilling them lately. But will do so before a long ride.

I'd bought some too...maybe not the exact same bottles, but... Thing was the washers in the top went soft with the gasoline inside... yep, gas all over the contents of my bags. And "yes" these bottles were supposedly for fuels. Chumbly-

I'd bought some too...maybe not the exact same bottles, but... Thing was the washers in the top went soft with the gasoline inside... yep, gas all over the contents of my bags. And "yes" these bottles were supposedly for fuels. Chumbly-

How long did it take for that to happen?

Not long. Just saying,...I believe the washers between the stopper and the bottle were made of the wrong stuff, (I think they were made of neoprene or some kinda rubber instead of plastic... if that what they're supposed to be made of)... and they were marked for fuel... store clerk didn't know the difference either. Just beware out there. Ride safe. Chumbly-;)

The MSR brand bottle should be good to go, they hold White Gas no problem.

Do a test fill it up put them upside down some where safe and see. If the seals fail they will do it in a day or less.

This is still always such a scary subject....Yes, I understand the need, and Yes, I know the Bottles are made for this purpose, but still makes me nervous. Yes, I've had lotsa' Tanks between my legs, but those are permanently mounted, and tight crimped/clamped lines. I may hafta' resort to this someday also on a really extended Trip, but I hope not. GOOD LUCK with the Bottles Guys.....:wtg:

Skutter

Your point is well taken, but the MSR bottles are fairly stout, and you need to take care to strap them down in your bags. Normally this is for Iron Butt type rides where gas is few and far between. As in all adaptations care need to be taken and common sense needs to rule.

Have a bad crash, any gas is bad, even the one in your main tank.

I had gas in them for about 2 months, no leaks, not even a whiff of gas. Like I said, I took them out and will refill them and put them back if I take a long ride.

I understand Skuuters concern. One of the reasons I chose this bottle was because of the google search I did. It seems that dirt bikers love these bottles, and looking through their forums there are loads of stories about bikes being dropped hard and no problems with the bottles.

But that's moot. If ya ain't comfortable, case closed.

Don't know, but they ARE fuel bottles. And what about the 5 gallons of gas in between your legs?

Yeah, there is that. Guess one has a double option for where to get burnt - crotch or arse. I'd like to think that if there were an "event" of the magnitude to cause ignition of the tank, I'd be airborne or making my landing many yards away. Neither is a pleasant thought. The solution is, I suppose, to ride like Dirty Harry and know your limitations, and S.E.E. at all times. The leaking bottles reported by Chumbly got my attention.

Now I'm curious. Have there been any Trike crashes reported on this forum?

Bob (RLPCEP)

Have used various MSR bottles for white-fuel while camping & back-packing with my son (did the silk route across China & Asia Minor). Not a days trouble. When the US style white fuel ran out (very shortly) filled it with kerosene which is readily available in that part of the world. Nary a leak!! Having said that, 16 years as a seafarer, mostly on Tankers, & nearly 50 years on 2-wheels of all kinds, has taught me: I will never carry gas on a bike / trike. Way too dangerous. IMHO.

Was considering getting one but had a situation a couple weeks ago that has me wondering. I was towing a closed trailer and had a 2 gallon can of gas in the trailer. It was one of the new style cans with that cumbersom trigger pull nozzles available at all Wally World stores.

during the trip i stopped to fuel the truck --i notiiced liquid running out the front corner of the trailer. when i opened the trailer door i found the gas can had swollen to the point it had split the seams in the can bottom. They are made with no vent so i assume the interior pressure must build up a good deal of pressure.

Was considering getting one but had a situation a couple weeks ago that has me wondering. I was towing a closed trailer and had a 2 gallon can of gas in the trailer. It was one of the new style cans with that cumbersom trigger pull nozzles available at all Wally World stores.

during the trip i stopped to fuel the truck --i notiiced liquid running out the front corner of the trailer. when i opened the trailer door i found the gas can had swollen to the point it had split the seams in the can bottom. They are made with no vent so i assume the interior pressure must build up a good deal of pressure.

FWIW, I had gas in mine for a couple of months here in hot Florida. All the while in the trunk of my trike. I never had a drop leak or a whiff of fumes. The bottle is marked with a line about 1~2 inches below the neck as max fill level, for pressure.

But, you have to go with what makes you comfortable, or uncomfortable.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png