Beads,Gel or Air???

Mar 6, 2010
Wheeler,Texas
Well 6 months and 7000 miles since we got our toy,and although our posteriors have adapted some to the factory GW seat,after a few hundred miles there is still a bit of stiffness/discomfort.

Would love to plop down some $$ on a custom seat,but I just spent a pretty good chunk on a new exhaust system(and boy does she sound awesome):D:D

Thinking about an aftermarket pads for the seat and was wondering which direction to go................So????

Some people go for a sheepskin cover have heard others talk about some kind of cushin from walmart also some of talked about a air cushin calle air hawk,me I went and spent the money on a russell road sofa,a little on the expense side but I like it.
:yes::yes::yes:

I had a neighbor who lost his wife last year, and he gave me her gel pad. It is covered in fake sheepskin. Then, just for the variety, I went to Wal-Mart and got one of the beaded seat covers they carry for a car. I cut it, tied the strings and used super glue to make sure the knots didn't come apart. Instead of paying $40 for a beaded seat cover for me, I paid about $11 for a beaded seat cover for me, and one for my wife.

That said, I switch between the stock seat, the beads, and the gel when I ride for a very long day. Sometimes it keeps me from having any pain, and sometimes it does not.

I am considering a custom seat, and Russell Day Long is at the top of the short list.

I had a neighbor who lost his wife last year, and he gave me her gel pad. It is covered in fake sheepskin. Then, just for the variety, I went to Wal-Mart and got one of the beaded seat covers they carry for a car. I cut it, tied the strings and used super glue to make sure the knots didn't come apart. Instead of paying $40 for a beaded seat cover for me, I paid about $11 for a beaded seat cover for me, and one for my wife.

That said, I switch between the stock seat, the beads, and the gel when I ride for a very long day. Sometimes it keeps me from having any pain, and sometimes it does not.

I am considering a custom seat, and Russell Day Long is at the top of the short list.

love them beads. provide nice air flow

Alaska Leather pad, sometimes I add a gel pad under it...sometimes beads...sometimes nothing but the factory seat. Guess what I'm saying is all butts are different..gotta try and see what works for you.

I bought an Ultimate Seat. It is comfortable, but they have lousy customer service.

Bought a riders back rest when I boght the seat. Paid over $950 and the riders back rest was like leaning against a pencil point. I paid $20 to replace it, but they replaced it with a vinyl back rest. My seat is denim. They now want $100 to replace this. Will not ever deal with them again. Owners name is Des Hockley and how he stays in business is a wonder.

We bought gel pads at the Ruidoso Golden Aspen Rally last September but one blew off while ScalpHunter was riding alone. (That'll teach him!) Didn't really like the feel of them anyway; they seemed to get hard after ten hours or so.

On our trip back East last June, we detoured to B&G Seat Covers in Chapel Hill, TN (south of Nashville) to get their custom covers. Owners were packing to go to WingDings, but customized and installed our choice in about an hour. Nicest folks you ever met! Made of velour and lightly lined with foam, the covers on our GW1800 seats are now a little bit softer, a lot more attractive and much easier on the tush than plain vinyl. Were able to go 14-15 hours a day without problems on the backside and we were comfortable in (very) high heat and in downpours.

We bought gel pads at the Ruidoso Golden Aspen Rally last September but one blew off while ScalpHunter was riding alone. (That'll teach him!) Didn't really like the feel of them anyway; they seemed to get hard after ten hours or so.

On our trip back East last June, we detoured to B&G Seat Covers in Chapel Hill, TN (south of Nashville) to get their custom covers. Owners were packing to go to WingDings, but customized and installed our choice in about an hour. Nicest folks you ever met! Made of velour and lightly lined with foam, the covers on our GW1800 seats are now a little bit softer, a lot more attractive and much easier on the tush than plain vinyl. Were able to go 14-15 hours a day without problems on the backside and we were comfortable in (very) high heat and in downpours.

MJ and I agree B & G people are great. We meet them at Daytona bike week. They setup at Sunshine Market Place on US 1 about 3 miles south of main st.

Well we decided to go whole hog and purchased an "Ultimate" seat while we were at BBBQ. Made a world of difference in the ride home compared to the ride out there(400 miles) as well as all the riding we did while in Fayetteville.

Hopefully we won't need a whole lotta customer service. The guys at the rally seemed pretty customer friendly:confused:

Here's another vote for the "UTIMATE SEAT" !

Over the years I have tried beads, gel pads, sheepskins, seat redone and a few custom seats.
When I bought my new 06, I tried the stock seat for one year.
I then decided to buy a Ultimate Mid Rider (and passenger backrest) for my wife.
We now ride 600+ mile days in pure comfort.

2 from Tx, You'll love that seat!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png