Selling my trike question

Apr 12, 2012
Welches, Oregon
Selling my GL1800 Trike. My question is, do I let buyer test ride . If a buyer has never road a trike he may be surprised about the steering on trike. It's much different that a conventional bike. What about insurance? Will my insurance cover such a test?

Selling my GL1800 Trike. My question is, do I let buyer test ride . If a buyer has never road a trike he may be surprised about the steering on trike. It's much different that a conventional bike. What about insurance? Will my insurance cover such a test?

The only time i would let a buyer test ride any of my Bikes/Trikes....Or for that matter ATV'S Is if they handed me the sale amount in cash as collateral ....The last two bikes that i sold off my driveway, I took the plates off and told the buyers its not registered and insured......Can't test ride it...

No "Test Pilots" allowed! = My take on the subject. Exception, and still some amount of risk involved, if I knew the person & also knew he was a serious buyer I might let it out on a short road test.

Another exception: as rhino said, collect the full amt from an off the street stranger before any such ride...:Shrug:

All bets are off, if the trike is not current on ins., reg., state inspection. You get the picture....

The same dilemma happens when selling a car. No one wants the responsibility for the what ifs. However, if I'm a buyer, I have no interest of buying a used vehicle without test riding it first. As a seller, so long as I am comfortable with the potential buyer, I let them test ride it.

If you put it on consignment at a dealer, the dealer carries insurance for such.

If I were buying a used Trike, I would do it the same way I bought a used car. I take it, OR, have the owner take it ,to my tech, have him go thru it stem to stern and then I decide if I want to purchase. If the owner balks, I'd walk away quick. I would encourage any potential buyer to do the same.

If you hand someone the key, And say here take it for a test ride...And the buyer doesn't come back, Because you gave them permission to test ride it the Cops can't help you for at least 24 hours... By then it will be in Guadalajara on cinder blocks...Also if you do let it out for a test ride make sure the tester has a MC License..

Remember the All-State commercial ...Mayhem...

Ahhhhh, the Allstate commercial.:clapping:

Classic example for "No Test Pilots" trying out a potential purchase, in my mind.

All of the risk is on the seller in a private sale scenario, IF allowing a buyer to take it for a spin...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png