Removing wheels and tires using J&S Trike Jack

Lawless

40+ Posts
Jul 26, 2015
Washington State, USA
If I remove one or both of the rear wheels on my TriGlide while it is up on the J&S jack will it cause the trike to be unstable and unbalanced ?

If so have you had to use straps before removing the wheels ?

:confused:

Good question and I'm not a expert, if it was me I think I would use some kind of jack up front to help it out or put some kind of block under the front tire and even some straps someplace would help out.

I hope you get a answer to this, since I have the J & S jack also, had it up on the jack today and cleaned the underneath it and polish the rims while it was up.

All for now Trampas

If I remove one or both of the rear wheels on my TriGlide while it is up on the J&S jack will it cause the trike to be unstable and unbalanced ?

If so have you had to use straps before removing the wheels ?

:confused:

I've changed the rear wheels 3 times and never had an issue. The first time after loosening the lug nuts I jacked it up just enough to remove the wheel. It was solid as a rock. Last two times I just took it to full stop - no issues here.

jc

I've changed the rear wheels 3 times and never had an issue. The first time after loosening the lug nuts I jacked it up just enough to remove the wheel. It was solid as a rock. Last two times I just took it to full stop - no issues here.

jc

Thanks for the reply. I asked J&S, and they suggested I use straps if removing one or both wheels. I think they thought I had the 2 wheel jack.

Not sure where you would secure the straps anyway.

Just wanted to check with someone who has done it before so I don't drop the trike.

You can strap them to the jack or have some out there that use eye bolts and mounted them into there concrete floor.

I usually exchange each wheel separately while in full lift. I have never strapped a bike to a lift, this one or any other jack. I would suggest loosening the wheels before lifting and tighten after lowering though. Do you use a torque wrench to tighten?

I usually exchange each wheel separately while in full lift. I have never strapped a bike to a lift, this one or any other jack. I would suggest loosening the wheels before lifting and tighten after lowering though. Do you use a torque wrench to tighten?

Exactly Garyd....Just like Dad taught us a million years ago on our cars! LOL......Kinda forgot where I learned that been doing it for so long....

Thanks for the reply. I do use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs and to check all critical fasteners on my trike.

I don't trust the dealership to do it.

I also check them occasionally after reading about people losing their wheels while riding.

As others have said or eluded to, Jack who is the "J" in J&S said to me in a phone conversation about 2 months ago that when properly lifted with their trike lifts, that any or all wheels can be taken off without having to do anything else to maintain stability. Like others have opined, I think I would be doing my heavy lug nut twisting while on the ground for added peace of mind:)

Not a problem at all. J&S trike jack should be raised and then slightly lowered with the safety stop bar in a slotted hole until it locks. The knob floor locks should be down to lock any jack movement. It is not going anywhere.

I have had all wheels off in any combination and it is solid.

Bob :Dorag:

Thanks HD Bob and the rest of you for the replies. Sorry guys if my post sounded like a stupid question.

Just afraid of dropping a 1200 pound trike off the jack and causing major damage.

Better to ask than to regret not doing so later.

Thanks again gentlemen.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png