overheating

Feb 18, 2017
portland,or,usa
Got stuck in some stop and go traffic jams yesterday in 100 degree heat and began to wonder how I can tell if the trike is overheating. What to look for in your experience.

Thanks as always for your thoughts.

The rear cylinder should shut down unless that feature has been disabled. The performance will be sluggish. The motor sounds (lifters etc) will be louder. If the trike was under those conditions for and extended period of time (I would say for me over 15 to 20 minutes) I would change the oil ASAP especially if running regular oil not synthetic. Synthetic will tolerate high temps longer then regular oil.

Got stuck in some stop and go traffic jams yesterday in 100 degree heat and began to wonder how I can tell if the trike is overheating. What to look for in your experience.

As Gorilla said, you can tell by the power feeling sluggish.

I can tell you, that even Not in a traffic jam, even at 85* temps, the probability that the engine is running too hot for its' own good is near 100%.

Give this REPORT a read. It has info on how and why the Twin Cams run too hot.

Kevin

Tony, the only thing that will keep your air cooled Harley trike from overheating while in traffic is cylinder cooling fans. The most effective fans you can buy are the Love Jugs dual cooling fans. They are very high quality, water proof and are backed with a 100% money back guarantee. There are lots of testimonials on the forum about them. Trike Talk is a stocking dealer for these. Read more about them HERE.

Amsoil also just completed and published an independent test on the Love Jugs fans in slow speed at idle and the results were that the Love Jugs reduced the rear cylinder heat by 145 degrees and the front cylinder heat by 132 degrees. See their report below:

amsoil test love jugs charts.jpg

IF you are stuck in heavy traffic, at a railroad crossing, accident etc. for any length of time in hot weather, shut the motor off and let it cool. We "Flintstoned it" in Las Vegas a while back until we could get off Las Vegas Blvd and onto a side street and get some air on the engine.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png