Gas Milage

I've just recently gotten my baby within the last year, (last October). I went from a 750 shadow to the VTX1300 trike. I guess my question is about gas mileage. I'm used to 50mpg with my shadow, and my trike gets like 25. I expected it to be worse, but my Subaru Forester gets better gas mileage than my trike. Is this typical for trikes? Thanks everyone, I'm newly registered and I look forward to checking in often.

I've only had one trike long enough to measure gas mileage. I can tell you it was a shock at first. Like you I was used to long ranges on a tank, only to get far less than I thought.

Heavier Bike+Bigger Engine+More Wind resistance+More friction(3 wheels)=Less MPG's

That is a significant drop and I suspect that it has to do with the engine size. A 1300, IMO, just doesn't have enough torque and hp to properly pull a full sized trike kit. My '06 Wing only dropped about 5 mpg after being triked in normal driving. If I'm pulling my fully loaded trailer, two-up with heavy bodies, and running over 70 mph mine will drop to 33. Riding the Arkansas twisties two-up produces a steady 37 mpg if I control my throttle hand. :D

agree%20smilie.gif

YES... What he said all the way!! :xszpv: :xszpv:

I get 33 to 37 mpg on a GL-1800 based on Florida riding conditions.

This gives me a range of about 310 to 350 miles without going empty.

I usually make gas fills in the 250 to 300 range.

Really depends on how we ride. Riding in the Ozarks, lots of twisties we get in the high 30's. The curves keep the speed down and the lower RPM's, lower wind drag and lighter weight carried mean better MPG.

When touring, we are usually going faster, more gear along and most of the time pulling a Bunkhouse camper. Faster speeds mean Higher RPM's, more wind resistance, (Don't forget, compared with 2 wheelers, our trikes have air brakes, also called rear fenders) and the extra weight bring down the mileage from just above the mid 20's to the low to mid 30's on our 2004 GL1800 Champion. Even the weather can make a difference. Cool damp air is better than hot dry air for power and mileage.

It is hard to compare MPG between brands, and even sometimes different models within a brand. Gear ratios make a difference, to some extent weight of the kit, tire size and pressure and even other accessories that affect weight and aerodynamics.

I only pay attention to mileage to keep track of the engine health. A quick drop, or even a rise in MPG can signify something that needs attention. Other than that, I figure the trike is basically a toy, and the gas is part of the price I pay to play.

think this is bad ?

Think this is bad ?

Take 2 ATV's back country, typical 6 MPG riding 2 average 3 MPG out back.

03 wing champ trike, 22 lbs rear tires air.We average 36/40 riding 2 Up the last 15000 miles,cooler, rain gear, gun, tools, dry clothes. We ride 5 over the speed limit to stay out of the way.

Hammer down on my little plane burns 28 Gal per hour at $4 to $6 a gal. $10+ traveling through Canukaland for Avgas..and the exchange rate changes every 10 minutes.

Happy 4th of July Real Americans ! not you LEFT overs

Just filled my 08 GL1800 w/08 Champion Conversion mainly because I was curious after 107 miles around town and got 32.6 ... Pleasantly surprised ... my tri took mega tuning to get anywhere near that,

Thanks everyone. I guess being in Pa where there's lots of hills has a bit to do with it also. I makes sense that the fact that it's a 1300, it may a bit shy on hp to pull the extra weight. I was just very surprised. I don't go for any really long rides, so it's not a big deal for me. I'm definitely glad I got it. I love it! was like going from a VW bug to a Cadillac.

We just got home from a lunch ride to Lake Placid. I fueled on the way home. 4.8 gallons at 191 miles. 39.7 mpg. The last 50 miles home was 70mph on I87. The speed will probably bring it down some. I usually average between 34 & 39 mpg.

You might try playing with your shift points.Early shifting in some cases can reduce fuel mileage as much as reving it.Also when trying this don't be in a hurry to get the revs up.Find what the bike likes and it might surprise you.

Just finished a 1200 mile trip, I haven't totaled up my gas tickets yet but on the way out I checked my first two tanks and they were both right at 39 mpg. As soon as I get a total on my tickets and check what the average was for the trip I will post that, I am curious to see what it is.

So I added up all me gas tickets for our trip, the total miles was right at 1200. I feel my mileage is pretty accurate as my spedo reads the same as my Garmin GPS does. The average mpg for the trip was 37.2, thought that was pretty good.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png