Drive train

Oct 6, 2010
Newalla, OK
I was wondering if anyone has had or heard of any problems with the spring that is suppose to be installed in the drive train somewhere that is suppose to keep the bike from lifting or raising up during acceleration. I have a 2009 GL1800 with a CSC conversion and ever so often after running down the highway and pulling off at an exit. When I pull away from a stop I get a loud pop from underneath the trike. Now the dealership that did the conversion (a large Honda dealership) says that they have never heard it, and I have had it back there at least a dozen times. I am to my wits end, and am thinking about getting rid of it because of it. ANY SUGGESTIONS????:(:(:(:(:(:(

I was wondering if anyone has had or heard of any problems with the spring that is suppose to be installed in the drive train somewhere that is suppose to keep the bike from lifting or raising up during acceleration. I have a 2009 GL1800 with a CSC conversion and ever so often after running down the highway and pulling off at an exit. When I pull away from a stop I get a loud pop from underneath the trike. Now the dealership that did the conversion (a large Honda dealership) says that they have never heard it, and I have had it back there at least a dozen times. I am to my wits end, and am thinking about getting rid of it because of it. ANY SUGGESTIONS????:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm only guessing but it sound like a spring is re-setting itself into mount. Or possibly something is loose on the suspension. Get under it and shack things a little see if anything is loose. Try this jacked up also.

Call CSC and tell them about the noise and your concerns. It is definitely something that can be corrected and probably very easily.

I have a Champion Conversion and it broke from the yoke this last summer.

I learned that a there is a spring in the drive shaft. When mine broke from the yoke with no warning the spring let loose inside. IT HAD LESS THEN 30000 MILES ON IT.

I learned the only way you can check it is to take it off.

You may have better luck with CSC.

Champion could care less the just sold me another drive shaft for $580.00OWNER OF CHAMPION WOULD NOT TALK TO ME OR RETURN CALLS.I was told the new one was redesigned. It looked the same to me...

------But what do I know I just write the checks.-----

There is a recall on that spring on the drive shaft. Once it heats up it won't do its job. Call CSC and they will let you know about it. Or JBJ Cycles in SoCal can give you the info. Talk to John.

have and 08 wing,,,2010 CSC factory install, never been told of any recall? I might check directly with the service guys down at CSC, they are nice folks and very helpful!! if there is a recall they will know,,:yes:

If you were to look at your trike from the rear, do you notice it leaning to the left or the right slightly?

Does the trike seem to bottom out a little more than it did before?

I had a customer with a CSC 1800 Cobra that had the same noise. It turned out to be the anchor/knuckle stud on the left side of the trike which held the rear sway bar end to the chassis. When the customer took off from a stop, or hit a bump in the road, or just rode the trike hard into a turn it would pop.

I myself could not hear it until I rode the trike up to or under an overpass structure to block out all other wind, traffic noises etc. Then and only then was it audible to me. That maybe why your dealer cannot find the problem.

The anchor stud was broken off and would only move or pop under a lot of pressure. It was almost impossible to find. I only found it after inspecting every componnent on the rear end and applying pressure with a small prybar.

This same customer also had a popping noise which was different coming from one of the rear constant velocity joints. The exhaust pipe was cooking the joint boot which would burst and throw all of the grease out. CSC stated that the boots were their hi-temp units? But they kept failing until I made and installed a couple of heat sheilds to protect them from the exhaust.
No more boot failures and rear end popping noises.

Good luck...Mike

If you were to look at your trike from the rear, do you notice it leaning to the left or the right slightly?

Does the trike seem to bottom out a little more than it did before?

I had a customer with a CSC 1800 Cobra that had the same noise. It turned out to be the anchor/knuckle stud on the left side of the trike which held the rear sway bar end to the chassis. When the customer took off from a stop, or hit a bump in the road, or just rode the trike hard into a turn it would pop.

I myself could not hear it until I rode the trike up to or under an overpass structure to block out all other wind, traffic noises etc. Then and only then was it audible to me. That maybe why your dealer cannot find the problem.

The anchor stud was broken off and would only move or pop under a lot of pressure. It was almost impossible to find. I only found it after inspecting every componnent on the rear end and applying pressure with a small prybar.

This same customer also had a popping noise which was different coming from one of the rear constant velocity joints. The exhaust pipe was cooking the joint boot which would burst and throw all of the grease out. CSC stated that the boots were their hi-temp units? But they kept failing until I made and installed a couple of heat sheilds to protect them from the exhaust.
No more boot failures and rear end popping noises.

Good luck...Mike

Welcome aboard Mike. Glad you found us to contribute.

During the install, the Honda spring is removed from the bike and installed over the splines in the rear end part of the drive shaft, this spring keeps constant pressure so the drive shaft does not shift fore and aft. The new kits have a new spring that is to be used instead of the original Honda spring. This is a very new change, there are NO problems I am aware of with the Honda springs.

There was also an issue with the torsion bar making noise under extreme movements, like very harsh turning left to right continually and quickly. From my conversations CSC was aware of this. I do not know to what build dates the noise started and ended.

If you can, please better describe the noise and when/how it happens. perhaps we can help you figure out what it is, seems your installing dealer cannot.

We have built quite a few 1800's and none have had any of the described issues .

Regards,
Chuck

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png