Belly Pan on a GL1800 trike

Scalp Hunter

TOI - Texas
Sep 12, 2009
Killeen, Tx
Has anyone here installed a belly pan on a gl1800 trike. I am seriously thinking of getting one. What is your opinion and or experience with them pro or con. I am aware of the potential heat issue.

John

I have one on my trike that I had on when it was a 2 wheeler. I put it on mainly to protect the plastic antifreeze bottle from punctures. I can't tell any difference on the amount of engine heat coming off the bike. Because the metal is not thick, there is no issue with lower ground clearance.

I have one leftover from the two wheel days. I had something punch a hole in the anti freeze bottle when we first got the bike. I have compaired temp on my bike with others and have not seen any difference.

Fatman

installed one on the wing when it was a 2 wheeler, its the vented model and it works great on the trike as well, I am sure I would never have made it up to alaska without it on the trike, no heat issues, can change the oil and filter and do not need to remove the cowl. They are definitely a must upgrade given hond allowing the antifreeze container hang out in the open, SHAME ON HONDA for doing that:yes:

Hi John and Blondie,

I had a belly pan on my trike, but while riding in Oklahoma or Arkansas, I went over a hidden curb at a gas station and tore part of the pan. It rattled while cruising down the highway. I signaled to the rest of our group that I needed to stop. I shoved the edge of the pan back up and rode for another 150 miles until I ran over some road kill.

Had to endure the rattling for another 30 miles when we pulled into our motel. There was a Yamaha dealer right next door and they removed the pan for me.

I have checked with two installers and Jim Foster at KPS. All say it is not necessary for a trike and it could be my imagination, but I think the trike runs a tad cooler without the pan.

Yes, i have a stainless steel vented belly pan. A friend of mine didn't and a speed bump cost him close to $2,000

BINGO,,mine save me several times on the alcan, not even a degree difference in temp. I have CSC ground effects and its fitted right up tight:yes:

Ditto Yellow Trike. It gets a little warm in So. Texas but my needle never moves. Would not be without one. Check the GL1800 web site and see the hole in the gentleman's oil pan due to a rock. His cost, $600.

Got one on mine also. Just like Bob's but a red one. CSC with the ground effects. Wouldn't ride with out one. Oil filter protection as well as the anti-freeze over flow bottle. Tom :D

The GL1800 is water cooled and adding a pan will not make any difference in temps. But it may save your oil filter, crankcase or coolant resevoir. Cheap insurance in my book. Had it on my 2 wheeler and if my new 2 me trike doesn't have one it will soon. JMHO

Ordered the louvered stainless steel belly pan from wingstuff. it's supposed to be here on the 16th, and will be instaaled within 2 hrs of reciept. I'm amazed that I got away as long as I have without one. I've thaken some pretty serious hits to the underside and the trike gods have blessed me so far. This should have been the first thing I bought. but then again, maybe if I lost 50 or 60 pounds, I wouldn't need it.

I have always had a belly pan on all 3 of my goldwings. Wouldn't be without it. Protects the oil filter and everything in the front along with the plastic bottle in the rear. Also, it keeps the bottom of the engine clean. I think with the vented ones your engine is going to get dirty. The more dirt on the bottom of the engine, the less cooling you have. I now have it on my '09 Hannigan trike, no increase in temp, no problem installing with running boards. You can get a cheap one from Wingstuff.com and does the same job as the more costly ones.

Installed it last monday. was not as easy as I thought because of the ground effects. took almost 3 hours, but now that I've done it, could redo the job in 45 minutes or less. fits perfectly, and of course it's not visible unless you lie on the ground and look under it. Note: if you're thinking about installing one they recommend wearing gloves. I didn't, instead I spent 30 minutes sanding the edges. Didn't help, I wound up with about 25 razor like "paper cuts" on my hands. Lesson learned: Wear gloves.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png