Newbie pre-purchase questions

Jun 23, 2017
Flushing
No trike yet, but I'll be buying a new model Goldwing 2017 or 2018 from an authorized Honda dealer. I'll probably get a Hannigan kit. I have some pre-purchase questions so that I'll make intelligent decisions.

I'm not handy, so I care lots about dependability, ease and comfort. I think I've found a local authorized Honda dealer who can ship the bike to Hannigan to get it triked.

Here are some things I'm thinking about.

• My seating position - Based on about a decade of riding recumbent (motorless) tricycles, I know I like to lean back against good lumbar support, while having the handlebars as far back as practical. Reaching forward for hours and hours gives me soreness in the neck, shoulders and upper back. I've even gone to physical therapy for that. Are there custom bars that are longer and closer to the body? My dealer can install extra cable where it is needed - I already asked. And I'd like the most comfortable seat for touring - willing to install custom if needed.

• Winter parking - I'm in New York City and will be using a shared parking garage. There might be a few months I don't start up the trike. Do I need a trickle charger?

• Rake kit - I do think about smoother steering, but I think Hannigan offers a rake kit.

Anything else to think about?

Are there any other Honda or custom options I should get clear on before my purchase?Anything else to think about?

Thanks to all!

--Greg

Last edited:
Seating position:

1. Call Tom Simmons to inquire about a true custom seat. http://tscustomseats.com/gpage.html

2. Handlebar risers, several to choose from, can be adjusted without having to change cables. I used the MBL wide risers and love the difference. (With a rake kit you will probably want to raise bars and bring them further back. Each mfg. offers a description of what they do.)

Yes, you will be glad you installed a rake kit. I believe Hannigan uses a 5.5 or 6 degree which is what I have on my Roadsmith.

Long term storage I would recommend the Battery Tender. It will not overcharge the battery and can sit for extended periods of time without harming the battery.

Think you will love the Hannigan kit. Probably my next one. Good luck and ride safe.

Check out: www.helibars.com.

Have not experienced this product and do not personally know anyone who has them.

However, a few years ago I was looking for some comfort for a Suzuki 800, then afterwards, for comfort on a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700, then a Kawasaki Vulcan 900....none of which did Helibars have a product design at that time...I believe they do now. I would have paid a high price for relief on those cruisers but they just did not make them at that time.

Wound up putting the regular (Kuryakyn? I think) risers on the current Honda GL1800 trike. Still could have used a little more positioning back toward me. Instead I compensated by purchasing a cushion made to slip over the driver's backrest (from Wingstuff.com) which pushed me a little closer to the bars.

I was just on Helibars website and see that they offer a design for the GL1800. Pricey though. Just offering this as an idea for you to look at.

Good luck...its always fun shopping for and outfitting a new bike...err,,that is trike. :)

• Winter parking - I'm in New York City and will be using a shared parking garage. There might be a few months I don't start up the trike. Do I need a trickle charger

--Greg

Like others said....Use a battery tender.....A trickle charger if left on for months will rune your battery...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png