VW Based

Not ever even owning a Motor Cycle, I don't really know where to focus. Which might be the easiest to acquaint with, MC form (HD, Toy) or VW engine base? I'm not really a mech based person, so simple and reliable is having to be the way with me. Is it OK to have those rear engines exposed to weather? Would most cycle shops be able to work/maintain a VW engine? I have to say, the VW engine type is a cool looker - or, should I get off that tangent? <br />
<br />
I'm going to start in earnest next week on real life looking, (getting off computer).

Just fig. how wet do u think it will get. Not like you will ride it every day in the pouring rain, Keep the carbs under cover and it will be fine . Most Repairshop ( automotive can work on the VW but the fun is wrenching it yourself.

If you're not mechanically inclined, I would try to locate a local VW guy before getting a VW trike. Air cooled VWs are pretty reliable, but do require periodic maintenance (oil changes, valve adjustment, engine tune-up). Air cooled VWs have not been in production for many years, so finding a VW guy may be more difficult than finding a Harley guy. The newer Harleys are pretty reliable, but expensive to work on - even simple oil changes cost much more than a car. HD = hundred dollars. Whatever you need, it's a hundred dollars. Your average local bike shop probably won't know how to adjust valves on a VW, nor will he have the gaskets required. There's Harley dealers everywhere, but they are expensive.

It would be worth your effort to get a shop manual for whatever you get and spend the time and effort to learn routine maintenance - you'll save yourself a bunch - and neither is that difficult to work on.

I suspect your research will reveal this, but VW-based trikes are going to be priced at about half what the MC based trikes are going for. All of them, VW, MC or other (i.e., Stallion) are going to need a bit of basic maintenance. As far as mechanicing, most any local shop can work on the VW (and there's usually a VW specialty shop in most areas), and still the cost is going to be at least half of the cost of MC based trikes.

I'm not biased (obviously I am), but a first-time trike rider could do worse than looking at VW trikes. Just be careful in your shopping - there are good quality VW trikes out there, and there are just as many homemade 'bedframe' trikes that will be a constant headache.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png