trike kits

I would try to find test rides on as many of the conversion kits as you can. Then you'll be making an informed decision.

Also, read all you have time for here about the different kits. Lots of info on their strengths and weaknesses. If you stick with the biggies, I think you'll be fine.

The biggest thing that makes or breaks a conversion is the builder. Try to find out as much about a builder before you hire him as possible. If you are going to do the conversion yourself, this will limit your choices on some of the kits. Lots of the manufacturers won't sell to anyone but a dealer. I think it's a liability thing.

Good luck, and like in life, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Consider a Hannigan. Top reason is the rear is off set a align w/the Wings drive shaft output. No severe angles putting constant excessive stress on U-joints! Almost maintenance free, few shots of grease each year is about it! Longer wheel base and wider stance + IRS = smoooooooth ride.

I would try to find test rides on as many of the conversion kits as you can. Then you'll be making an informed decision.

Also, read all you have time for here about the different kits. Lots of info on their strengths and weaknesses. If you stick with the biggies, I think you'll be fine.

The biggest thing that makes or breaks a conversion is the builder. Try to find out as much about a builder before you hire him as possible. If you are going to do the conversion yourself, this will limit your choices on some of the kits. Lots of the manufacturers won't sell to anyone but a dealer. I think it's a liability thing.

Good luck, and like in life, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

:Agree:

I test rode as many as I could before I decided on a Roadsmith. I'm very pleased with my choice. Took me 2 years of research before I placed my order.

Trike decision

I have a roadsmith HTS model on an 08 Goldwing love it. Reasoning for roadsmith was that was the only conversion I could find I could purchase and install myself. I did all the work did all the painting and roadsmith provided a great set of instructions on how to convert. Would have loved to had a CSC but they were too damn stubborn to sell me one and let me do it myself. Did a lot of custom designs builds from scratch and road many conversions and I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the top four in the market

Did you also get to test ride a reverse trike kit or was that not on your list to consider?

Reverse trike was not on my list. I don't care for the looks of them. Plus my bike being mechanical sound was some of the reason for triking it. Buying new would have cost more then having mine triked and I didn't want to buy a used trike and then try to sell mine.

Consider a Hannigan. Top reason is the rear is off set a align w/the Wings drive shaft output. No severe angles putting constant excessive stress on U-joints! Almost maintenance free, few shots of grease each year is about it! Longer wheel base and wider stance + IRS = smoooooooth ride.

Agree!

Roadsmith, trike was my decision, and I am very happy ... 1st season on a trike, BUT I'm loving every second riding it.... Two wheels bore me now, three is the way too go!

Ronnie

For a solid axle, a MotorTrike has a similar ride to most with independent suspension.

I rode about every major conversion that was available at the time I decided to trike. Traveled several places to do so. Also studied the construction and the maintenance schedules. This took almost 4 years! Yes, maybe a ridiculous length of time but, I wanted the best for wife and I.

I also visited several conversion shops, to learn who was good and who was not, who would give a good price and who just tried to jack the price up.

Wanted to do my own install but, the brands that allow that soon fell off the list for various reasons.

One thing I will tell you, meaning no disrespect, there is no way any solid axle conversion is a "similar" ride to most IRS conversions w/the longer wheel base and the wider stance!

We ended up in Murray, Ky, one day, at the Hannigan facility. There the General Manager at the time, gave us a tour of the plant and then gave up a brand new Wing w/a GenI conversion installed, told me we close at 5p(it was 11a at the time), try to be back by then!!!! Hadn't gone 5miles when the wife said, "This is the one!" Yep, came my answer.

Begged and pleated w/the manager to allow me to do the install, even offering to go through their dealer installation traning. No luck! stan

The installer I picked was approx 400 miles from me, while there was several closer! This installer even offered a substantial discount, which none of the others would even consider! At the time, I didn't know about Papa Zook or my installer would have likely been much further away!

The biggest reason, other than the ride, Hannigan was picked was the off set rear end to align w/the Wings drive shaft output, meaning no severe angles on the drive shaft causing U-joint problems, even catastrophic failures experienced on several brands!

I rode about every major conversion that was available at the time I decided to trike. Traveled several places to do so. Also studied the construction and the maintenance schedules. This took almost 4 years! Yes, maybe a ridiculous length of time but, I wanted the best for wife and I.

I also visited several conversion shops, to learn who was good and who was not, who would give a good price and who just tried to jack the price up.

Wanted to do my own install but, the brands that allow that soon fell off the list for various reasons.

One thing I will tell you, meaning no disrespect, there is no way any solid axle conversion is a "similar" ride to most IRS conversions w/the longer wheel base and the wider stance!

We ended up in Murray, Ky, one day, at the Hannigan facility. There the General Manager at the time, gave us a tour of the plant and then gave up a brand new Wing w/a GenI conversion installed, told me we close at 5p(it was 11a at the time), try to be back by then!!!! Hadn't gone 5miles when the wife said, "This is the one!" Yep, came my answer.

Begged and pleated w/the manager to allow me to do the install, even offering to go through their dealer installation traning. No luck! stan

The installer I picked was approx 400 miles from me, while there was several closer! This installer even offered a substantial discount, which none of the others would even consider! At the time, I didn't know about Zook or my installer would have likely been much further away!

The biggest reason, other than the ride, Hannigan was picked was the off set rear end to align w/the Wings drive shaft output, meaning no severe angles on the drive shaft causing U-joint problems, even catastrophic failures experienced on several brands!

Could you PM me with the installed name and address. I've got a buddy who loves Hannigan but finds it a bit pricey up here. Thankw

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png