DK Customs Trike Lift Kit Install Question.

Jul 12, 2017
Blacksburg, Virginia
For those of you that have installed the DK Customs trike lift kit. The installations instructions says to place 2 jack stands under the cross beam closest to the front wheel and another under the pulley/housing frame. Can I use the J&S trike lift jack instead of the 2 jack stands and another jack under the pulley/housing frame? Is this all that's necessary?

Thanks for your feedback.

I wondered the same thing and after looking at the installation video I came to the conclusion that since the swing arm needed to pivot it most likely not work. The jacks rear lift point is the swing arm. Even done by the instructions

I think my swing arm didn't drop enough. In the end instead of using the jack to pivot up the swing arm I had to use a bottle jack and pivot the bracket.

I wondered the same thing and after looking at the installation video I came to the conclusion that since the swing arm needed to pivot it most likely not work. The jacks rear lift point is the swing arm. Even done by the instructions

I think my swing arm didn't drop enough. In the end instead of using the jack to pivot up the swing arm I had to use a bottle jack and pivot the bracket.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The jack lift would prevent the swing arm from dropping.

The question now is how to raise it up and get the 2 jack stands under it?

You can raise it up with your J&S Trike Lift, then once you have the two jack stands on the support rails under the trunk, you can remove your J&S. That will then let the swing arm pivot.

You can see in the video below, at the 41 second mark, we use a floor jack at the same point that the J&S jack lifts at.

I have also used bottle jacks, scissor jacks...pretty much anything that will lift it up to let you get the jack stands in place.

Once the jack stands are in place, then remove whatever you used to jack it up. That will allow the swing arm to pivot. Then use a jack under the pulley guard to move the swing arm up or down to get everything lined up.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. And that cross brace under the trunk strong enough to support the weight without damage. Harley service manual says never use those cross braces to raise the bike? As you can probably tell, I'm new to trikes.

The cross braces are plenty strong enough,I put a lift kit on my buddies 09,my 16 and then my 17 using these points without issue.One note ,you may have to put 50 lbs in the shocks to help getting the rear tires off,because they don't give you a lot of clearance for the tires.

Thanks Kevin. And that cross brace under the trunk strong enough to support the weight without damage. Harley service manual says never use those cross braces to raise the bike? As you can probably tell, I'm new to trikes.

Yes, it is strong enough to use to use two jack stands on that cross brace to hold it.

I do not jack it up using the cross brace, this would be putting all the weight in one spot, and in the center of the brace...which is what HD says not to do, and I never would either.

But having the static weight spread out over both jack stands...and the stands are not in the center of the brace, but close to each side, where they are stronger.

Kevin

And for God's sake, get those jack stands as wide as you possibly can, in other words as far out towards the wheels as you can manage. Trust me, if you have them too close together and the trike starts to tilt to one side, you're going to have an extra additional step in the install... cleaning your shorts out! :xzqxz:

I didn't have any decent jackstands so I did like the manual says. I tied down my front tire and slid my craftsman yellow jack under the clutch basket. Worked like a charm...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png