Kuryakyn ISO Grips over Heated Grips. (review/tip)

Dec 30, 2014
Grand Junction, Co. USA
i really like the ISO grips as I have small hands and the larger grips give me a better feel. IMHO

I bought a set and installed them yesterday. Had some insights during install that may help others.

The installation instructions REALLY stress not pinching the wires. Good Idea. When putting the chrome cage on, the instructions recommend using a wire tie to help bring the cage halves together. I tried that, but found the amount of force needed to get the halves together was causing the rubber of the grip to move and not seat right in the cage. It was real hard to pull the wire tie tight and still "massage" the rubber back into the cage. I just don't have enough hands. I decided to use hose clamps instead of wire ties. This gave me very precise control on how much I pulled the halves together, allowing me to "massage" the rubber as I went.

I was a little afraid that the hose clamps (I used three) might scratch the cage. The rubber sticks up enough to protect the chrome on the cage (at least in my case). Just a tip to maybe help someone else that goes with these grips.

The grips do still heat up and you can feel the heat even through the ISO's. Takes a tad longer to feel it and it might not be as warm, but, this was not a big concern as I have a full set of electrics (Jacket liner, Gloves, pants, socks ... It's amazing how after I turned 60 I've become more sensitive to the cold ... LOL ... and I used to think a bagger was an "old man's ride" :Shrug:).

I love the extra feel of the fat grips.

Like you cold hurts me a lot more, I'll be 68 in two weeks. My GW CSC came with the ISO chrome grips. They sure do make for a larger grip area. I'm trying to decide if I like them or not. If I remove them do you think the OEM grips will still be OK?

Bill

If I remove them do you think the OEM grips will still be OK?

Bill

Yes ... if your ISO grips were installed correctly, their should be no damage to the OEM ones. Be sure to carefully separate the chrome pieces, usually they are not reusable once they are removed, so don't be afraid to "break" them off or away.

Also, when you remove the rubber from the ISO's, spray windex or other glass cleaner between the rubber and the OEM grip. This will help to allow them to slide off. If necessary, you can cut the rubber with a razor knife. Just be careful to lift the rubber away from the OEM grip before cutting, or you will cut the OEM grip.

Also, when you remove the rubber from the ISO's, spray windex or other glass cleaner between the rubber and the OEM grip. This will help to allow them to slide off. If necessary, you can cut the rubber with a razor knife. Just be careful to lift the rubber away from the OEM grip before cutting, or you will cut the OEM grip.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

When you install these if you will cut the rubber along the mold parting lines and separate it into two halves you can install the rubbers into the cages first then mate them together. Make things a little easier.

i really like the ISO grips as I have small hands and the larger grips give me a better feel. IMHO

I bought a set and installed them yesterday. Had some insights during install that may help others.

The installation instructions REALLY stress not pinching the wires. Good Idea. When putting the chrome cage on, the instructions recommend using a wire tie to help bring the cage halves together. I tried that, but found the amount of force needed to get the halves together was causing the rubber of the grip to move and not seat right in the cage. It was real hard to pull the wire tie tight and still "massage" the rubber back into the cage. I just don't have enough hands. I decided to use hose clamps instead of wire ties. This gave me very precise control on how much I pulled the halves together, allowing me to "massage" the rubber as I went.

I was a little afraid that the hose clamps (I used three) might scratch the cage. The rubber sticks up enough to protect the chrome on the cage (at least in my case). Just a tip to maybe help someone else that goes with these grips.

The grips do still heat up and you can feel the heat even through the ISO's. Takes a tad longer to feel it and it might not be as warm, but, this was not a big concern as I have a full set of electrics (Jacket liner, Gloves, pants, socks ... It's amazing how after I turned 60 I've become more sensitive to the cold ... LOL ... and I used to think a bagger was an "old man's ride" :Shrug:).

I love the extra feel of the fat grips.

The advantage of window cleaner (windex, not like a spray foam) is that it dries fairly quickly and when it does your grips won't slip. I would think dish soap might take awhile to dry. Make sure the grips don't slip before riding. See multiple warnings about this in the instructions. If the warning is there, someone messed up and probably died.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png