Diamond cutting

redneckray

Tour Captain
Jan 27, 2010
Has anyone ever had this process done to the fins on the motor of yout trike or other?
And did you like it or not?

Do you know of anyone else doing them, there prices are a bit high for me and donot cut vw heads and jugs?

I've had mine done, I believe around $450.00 to $500.00 is the going price, CNC cut. When I was first going to do it I looked into doing it myself as I was doing engine Mods & porting cylinders at the time, so I had all the tools, but the cutting bits required to do the job cost $125.00 ea. and you needed 2 of them. So taking all that into consideration, time involved and doing it by hand or CNC, it was a deal to send them out......

Diamond heads started out doing them by hand, before he went to a machine to do HD type heads and jugs. I would think that he could still do VW stuff by hand if he wanted to. With your apparent skills Ray, you should give it a go!

i hear what you are saying about DIAMOND HEADS AND I REMEMBER A FEW YEARS BACK, WHEN FRIENDS OF MINE WAS CUTTING TOO, AND AS APPROACHED BY THE FAT WOMAN AND MAN AND STARTED A BUNCH OF CRAP ABOUT THEM HAVING A PATENT ON THE PROCESS, SO WE ALL PITCHED IN AND LET THE FUN BEGIN,
SO , WHATEVER FLOATS THERE BOAT, BUT WHEN I CALLED AND ASKED ABOUT A PRICE FOR MY HEADS AND JUGS , I WAS TALKED TO IN A RUIN MANNER AND WAS TOLD THAT IF I DID THEM MYSELF, THEY WOULD FIND ME AND SUE ME, LOL, SO BE IT, GOOD THING THEY ARE IN VEGAS,
I MAY DO MY OWN, OR NOT DO THEM AT ALL, JUST MY 2 CENTS

Ray: I'll try & find the info on the Guy I was talking to about doing them myself,this was back in'04 & like I said the bit's cost $125.00 each. I know he got sick and his kid was helping him out. He also had prints on how to go about it. On the other hand we had a CNC machine @ the shop that we used for some cylinders & the cost of that bit was outta site. I did alot of snowmobile cylinders by hand and breathing that aluminum was not healthy, you would wear a mask but when you took it off to examine your work, alot of times you never put it back on. If you have some junk cylinders around you could practice on them........

Apprecite the help, if you could find out where to get the bits, that'd help a bunch.
Thanks,
ray

Kinda like knurling on round objects. Really dresses up the engine. Especially if it's painted.
0807_hbkp_02_z+diamond_heads+.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Now it's easy to see why CNC would be preferred. The uniformity is nice looking. You can use parrafin on a high speed bit to keep the bit from cloging, spareingly though, it is flammable, use slow speed light feed rate, careful cleanup, and with hand work some very interesting patterns could be achieved.

Keep it "CIVIL" Folks, and on the subject of Diamond Cutting (Nice Stuff, and actually very interesting)....let's not veer off into the "Bash-A-Business-World".......Every Business out there gets "Praises and Boos"...just goes with the Territory of runnin' a Business.......;):cool:

Have to jump in here especially with the Handle of DiamondE8. First used this handle about 25 years ago on the CB and of course the co-rider's handle is Diamond-Cutter (just to keep me in my place). Don't mean to hi-jack the thread.

Bill

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png