Hardtail on V8 trike. Is that crazy?

I have gathered up a load of major components for my trike. I am going to fabricate a fairly short and fairly narrow machine.

I want to keep it pretty short and not use a driveshaft or CV joint.

My plan is to use double #100 roller chain & sprockets as a coupler from the trans output to the 3rd member input.

I have two rear axle already.

1. 2005 Ford T-Bird IRS, brand new and complete. It's 66" wide. Needs narrowed.

2. 1976 Ford Maverick 8" ring, used, needs freshened up. It's 56" wide. PERFECT WIDTH!

I would have to narrow up the T-Bird IRS in order to use it. But I'd make it a lot simpler to use the 56" Maverick and no suspension.

I wondered if it is possible to have a driveable trike with a solid (unsprung) rear axle.

Much obliged,

Mustang Gregg

New guy here.

Thanky, Rhino 2.

This forum looks like a great one to get trike info.

I worked as a machinist and got into aircraft maintenance, so I'm not afraid to tackle a trike myself (with some helpful advice). LOL

Much obliged,Mustang

Last edited:
welcome aboard. I would think you would want some suspension. With the 2 wheels in back and acting together because no suspension it would be really a rough ride.

Welcome to the forum.

I have seen "sprung" setups that mount the rear end rigidly to a subframe that the motor is mounted to and the whole assembly is pivoted at the front of the engine. The subframe has springs at the rear end. This way you wont need a driveshaft and will have a little less unsprung weight and a little softer ride.

Research about sprung vs. unsprung weight and how it affects handling and you will probably want to do the extra work to reduce your unsprung weight to save your kidneys.

I rode a rigid Harley in my younger years and hitting the brakes on the washboard pavement at a red light could be quite exciting. When you put on the brake and hit the first bump, the rear tire would come off the ground and the brakes would lock up. Got exciting when the rear tire came back to the ground and wanted to skid rather than turn.

Spend some time in the old forum posts and you'll get a lot of good ideas. Check out the Tech,Tech... sticky thread in VW trikes forum for a lot of good general information.

Most important......post pictures of your build. We like pictures!

Interesting design!!!

VWBug72501:

I was pondering good springs under the seat and using some really good foam in the upholstery, but your idea sounds cool. :cool:

So I am interested in the whole power unit pivoting like you described.

That would definitely keep the wheelbase about 12" shorter.

I would sure like to see one under construction or in use.

Do you have any idea where I can find any photos of such a design? :confused:

Thanking you!

Mustang

I have gathered up a load of major components for my trike. I am going to fabricate a fairly short and fairly narrow machine.

I want to keep it pretty short and not use a driveshaft or CV joint.

My plan is to use double #100 roller chain & sprockets as a coupler from the trans output to the 3rd member input.

I have two rear axle already.

1. 2005 Ford T-Bird IRS, brand new and complete. It's 66" wide. Needs narrowed.

2. 1976 Ford Maverick 8" ring, used, needs freshened up. It's 56" wide. PERFECT WIDTH!

I would have to narrow up the T-Bird IRS in order to use it. But I'd make it a lot simpler to use the 56" Maverick and no suspension.

I wondered if it is possible to have a driveable trike with a solid (unsprung) rear axle.

Much obliged,

Mustang Gregg

personally i would not build a trike with no suspension "again"... wasnt horrible... but i was about 20 then and didnt know better... i did certainly bounce a lot as mentioned...

to each his own but i have used t bird, mazda rx7, and subaru rears... all i rs... which i left pretty much stock width... dont think i would go much narrower....as it is i have been on 2 wheels a couple times,,, but as i said to each his own

Attachments

• Copy_of_rears111.jpg
    Copy_of_rears111.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 184
  • HDDIFF3.jpg
    HDDIFF3.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 178
  • sP1010040.JPG
    sP1010040.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 184
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 217
  • img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 186
  • rf 110.jpg
    rf 110.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 174
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 177

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png