trike Platform,work stand.

Oct 3, 2010
vineland NJ USA
Hey guys...just curious if any of yall ever fabricated a platform,moveable type with casters to move 'er around...out of the way.

I'm building one for my trike,it will be constructed of 1 1/2" angle iron for the frame with 1/2" treated ply on top of the frame held down by screw nails,the type you can drill in to the steel frame.
It will have 1 1/2"square tubing for legs with 2 swivel and 2 fixed casters on the bottom of the legs.
I'll use 2x12" lumber for ramps...supported underneath so the weight of the trike wont collapse the ramps halfway up to the platform:cool:

It's raining here in south jersey today,so I wont be doin any build'n outside.I'll keep yas posted on my progress....Include dimensions and see if I could post some pictures of what she'll look like!:D

In the meantime....if any of yall have built would I'm doin...please comment on it,maybe toss up a picture or 3!!!:cool:

haven't built one b4 but I personaly think that having all 4 wheels swivel would be better,sence I work in a museum were we have to move exhibits around alot we have found that having all swivel wheels makes it easer to put them where we need to alot easer than having to make sure that we have it at the rite angle to get it where we need it (front,back and side to side.

Frozenshrimp and bibs,
don't mean to butt in, but what kind of muesuem you work at?
Bibb you'd be better off getting a platform from harbor freight and modify it to suit your needs, it is cheap price at harbor freight and work very well too.
Ray

Frozenshrimp and bibs,
don't mean to butt in, but what kind of muesuem you work at?
Bibb you'd be better off getting a platform from harbor freight and modify it to suit your needs, it is cheap price at harbor freight and work very well too.
Ray

Ray...good advice indeed!!! but um thinkin I might cud make my own for a bit less....none the less,Harbor freight is right aroun the corner from where I live,I may just check em out....................I like build'n things,got me a nice little weldshop in my backyard.

Last night,I roughed out the frame...tacked all the angle and square tubing together.Today I hope to weld everything soild,supports and mount the casters.
I'm using a hand operated boat winch to pull the trike up onto the platform.
This platform is a Lightweight table that is "just strong enough" to support the weight of a liteweight trike!
I by no means would reccomend it for someone that has one of those big bruisers such as an aspencade or ultra-classic Harley trike,although the basic style could easily be replicated with stronger components to support same.
Dimensionally the Platform consists of 2 rectangles,made of 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle iron....24 by 54" and 24 by 84".....they are joined together to form a "T"
The height of the frame is 27"....and the casters(5") bring the platform up to a comfortable 32".
The platform has a "sub"frame to stiffen the overall table with struts for added rigidity.
The top of the platform will be 1/2"treated plywood and I'll primer the steel frame.This way here I can leave 'er outside with out too much concern about rusting up on me.
I'll try to take some pictures....and one with the trike on top.:cool:

Lets try a few more. These pictures show the table just about done except the ramp mounts and a center guide for the front wheel.
I put screw jacks on the bottom sub frame to prevent 'er from rolling around the shop floor.

The last 2 pictures show an old boat winch A brother gave me,I put new cable on it.....and it's mounted about 60 inches from the floor.The reason being is to attempt to pull the trike up with the cable reasonably level....damifino:D

Look at your creativity!!!! :)
I want to see pictures of the trike being pulled up the ramps and into place! I assume you will use regular, portable ramps?

I can promise you that from my experience while working with BIBS on his brakes....I learned that he is certainly not short on creativity. I think BIBS could build an aircraft carrier in his back yard.

Thanks NANA,1550.The table wasn't difficult to make.I used to fabricate all types of carts and wagons for the greenhouse/nursery industry...up till about 4 years ago.Had to give it up due to my Neck and back issues....along with intermittant bouts of Vertigo...which likes to have fun with me:D
I love doing as much work as I can on my trike...bikes,etc.

What I'd really love to do is fabricate an independant rear suspension suited for lighter weight bikes like mine.
I believe it wouldnt be hard to do...and I'm determined to do it...myself if it comes down to it.
I'm going to start a thread entitled "building an IRS suspension for your trike"

Welp...got the ramps squared away!! I need to fashion a "bridge" underneath of them so that midway up the ramps the trike dont break them.
the weather today is rainey so I'll post some pictures in a day or so:D

Here's a picture or 2.

um goin back to the drawin board....them ramps shuda bin made out of steel,2 pc. 8 foot long total of 6 of em.
There's just too much flex in the wooden planks for my liking and it's damn near impossible to load 'er up on the table by your self.

I'm a fan of your work on the table, and in the next couple of days I'll post photos of a similar project I've worked on over the past summer (takes me a bit longer to get things done than when I was younger). But for me, a winch would be the only way to go - I don't think I've got the guts anymore to try to drive a trike up on a table. I'll bet it really helps out in working on your trikes once you get it finished. Great job!

By the way, I also discovered that wood ramps bow enough to be quiite unnerving when they are holding up your trike.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png