What will nix my warranty?

520fd

550+ Posts
Aug 9, 2010
Davenport, Iowa USA
I would like to add a stage 1 air filter. I know I will have to have the dealer do a download for that. As far as Exhaust, I would like to get rid of the Catalytic converter in the head pipe and get true duals. Other than that, that's what I want to do for now. I'm hoping I can get around that. I've done that on other new bike I've bought, but things have changed. Jerry

I would like to add a stage 1 air filter. I know I will have to have the dealer do a download for that. As far as Exhaust, I would like to get rid of the Catalytic converter in the head pipe and get true duals. Other than that, that's what I want to do for now. I'm hoping I can get around that. I've done that on other new bike I've bought, but things have changed. Jerry

According to HD almost anything will kill the warranty, thus saving them $$ lolol:laugh:

A smart dealer will not rat ya out to the MOCO ! They simply fill out the warranty form , submit it , get reimbursed , and have a good day.

If the MOCO requests a part to be returned for inspection , and finds it's been tampered with , then ya might have a issue. Don't worry- Be happy :D

When I had my Ultra, this statement was in the big/thick accessory catalog:

Any unapproved part or modification or any approve part or modification not installed or performed by a certified HD technician at an authorized HD dealership will void the warranty.

Might not be the exact wording but, that's the meaning!

Also, found out that even if a part sold/installed by a HD dealer is not HD approved it may void warranty claim if said part is determined to have caused the failure!!!!

There are many that think the MM act protects them from warranty refusals. Those that believe this are poorly informed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

In part:

The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner

There have been many threads on many forums about this very subject over the years. Doing a search on Warranty will give you many view points, Some informative and many misleading.

My dealer said I could do anything I wanted to the trike as long as I had any warranty work done there, if I was 100 miles away then it would be flagged and lose my warranty, my warranty is up in April of next year, I may hold off until then. I'm wanting to put a hitch on, new head pipe, etc etc. So I guess you will have to decide if that is what you want to do, keep warranty or lose it, really depends on your dealer, some are forgiving and some are not.

All for now Trampas

Warranty Issue

My dealer has suggested that if its staff performed the work, that the warranty would not be affected. I retain my OEM take off parts in the event that a sudden return to OEM is necessary. Another argument that a dealer would probably be reluctant to defend is why did you install the "_____________" if you knew that it would breach the warranty?

Removing a Catalyst Converter is considered Tampering with emissions controls...

And i know some dealers will remove it for you..IE; True Duals..ETC.. But they are playing the odds against getting a hefty fine.....:Shrug:

My dealer has suggested that if its staff performed the work, that the warranty would not be affected. I retain my OEM take off parts in the event that a sudden return to OEM is necessary. Another argument that a dealer would probably be reluctant to defend is why did you install the "_____________" if you knew that it would breach the warranty?

I'm sure that if one of his staff had a issue with there ride, they would shove it thru :Dorag:

Unless it's something major, eng , trans , etc. forgetaboutit :confused:

If you and your riding partner exceed the suggested "weight limitation" for the bike......it will void the warranty.

8~\o

The Burden of proof is on the Dealer and The MOCO

Now, they will try all the scare tactics they can fnd

However They MUST PROVE what u did caused the named part to fail

Does NOT happen much any more

IMO DO NOT let them bully u into the download

SAVE your money Buy a Power Vision from D K Customs here, U will be Money ahead and thank us later

Here lies another glitch. I purchased the trike when I was at Sturgis this year. I live 900 miles away. When I got home, I called my local dealership and asked them if they had a problem with them doing the servicing and warrenty work. They said no. But I know they were pissed at me for not buying from them (I've bought 12 bikes from them). The last time I bought a bike from someone else, they took me to the office and chewed my ass out. Oh well.

Her lies another glitch. I purchased the trike when I was at Sturgis this year. I live 900 miles away. When I got home, I called my local dealership and asked them if they had a problem with them doing the servicing and warrenty work. They said no. But I know they were pissed at me for not buying from them (I've bought 12 bikes from them). The last time I bought a bike from someone else, they took me to the office and chewed my ass off. Oh well.

Familiarity **breeds** contempt......You bought too many bikes from the same dealer....

Shoulda spread the wealth....

**[spelled it right this time]:laugh:**

Her lies another glitch. I purchased the trike when I was at Sturgis this year. I live 900 miles away. When I got home, I called my local dealership and asked them if they had a problem with them doing the servicing and warrenty work. They said no. But I know they were pissed at me for not buying from them (I've bought 12 bikes from them). The last time I bought a bike from someone else, they took me to the office and chewed my ass off. Oh well.

WOW I would FIRE them

Guess they dont want u to spend money there on anything?

Just about any thing nowadays cost 100.00 @ a dealer ThumbUp:censored:

The Burden of proof is on the Dealer and The MOCO

Now, they will try all the scare tactics they can fnd

However They MUST PROVE what u did caused the named part to fail

Unless you are a lawyer , Or know one that will work for Gratis.....And don't mind having you trike sitting for months unrepaired, Lots a luck with that...:Shrug:

And if you had the cat removed they can refuse to do any work.

Just ask the lead mechanic at your local dealer, he"s the one you have to deal with for warrenty work anyway. Mine didn"t have any problem with it, as he said not many people leave stock exhaust on a Harley anyway.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png