helmet question

Nov 23, 2009
Novato, California
I'm about to order a new helmet with speakers. Have 3 in mind. They are the Nolan N-103, Nolan N-43 trilogy, and the Shark evoline 2. I'd like the Shark but have read that there could be problems with fitting speakers and mike to the helmet. Anyone out there with recent experience with any of these? I'll be using J&M 629 electronics. Thanks......Alan

Can't help you with the configuration you are looking at. I am considering the N43 trilogy, but would use the N-com system with it. I'm just trying to decide if I really want to spend that much money on a helmet or not.

I was wearing a $90 JCWhitney helmet when I rode the first end-over-end on my motorcycle and then face planted about 4 1/2 years ago. Did not even have a concussion. You can't convince me that paying 5 times that amount is going to protect me so much more that it is worth paying that much. YMMV.

I'm about to order a new helmet with speakers. Have 3 in mind. They are the Nolan N-103, Nolan N-43 trilogy, and the Shark evoline 2. I'd like the Shark but have read that there could be problems with fitting speakers and mike to the helmet. Anyone out there with recent experience with any of these? I'll be using J&M 629 electronics. Thanks......Alan

go to the j and m website as they also sell helmets with systems already installed, then you might have the answer you are looking for

Alan<br />
<br />
I have the Trilogy and really do like it. I got mine at Wing Ding this year. I had been using Arai Classic but the Nolan Trilogy seems much lighter. It fits well and I am very pleased<br />
<br />
Alan

Ive owned and sold every line of helmet out there and Nolan is what I wear every day. Its the lightest, best fitting and most functional helmet out there IMHO.

I like Nolan and Arai Helmets, but can't ever seem to get the exact fit I find in Fulmer, Shoei, and Scorpion Helmets for "my head shape"...:laugh:.... I also use various versions of Open Face, Modular (my favorite type when I find a reasonably quiet, good fitting one), and Full Coverage, depending on Trip Length, Area Ridden, and Weather.....:wtg:

Finally, I had to talk to John Lazzeroni owner of J&M electronics. I have a Shoei RF 1100. J&M have just come out with a very thin speaker that will recess far enough into the helmet crevice to allow your ears adequate room inside the helmet. I had put an elite headset, it was too large, <br />
then a performance slightly better, but it still bent my ears back. Now with the new thinner spearker success.<br />
<br />
<br />
I am a big fan of Shoei helmets as one saved my life last year in combat with a deer.

I like Nolan and Arai Helmets, but can't ever seem to get the exact fit I find in Fulmer, Shoei, and Scorpion Helmets for "my head shape"...:laugh:.... I also use various versions of Open Face, Modular (my favorite type when I find a reasonably quiet, good fitting one), and Full Coverage, depending on Trip Length, Area Ridden, and Weather.....:wtg:

ScalpHunter got us matching Scorpion 'Transformer' helmets last spring, but I chose to wear the full face option (it 'transforms' to a 3/4) when we went back East in June. He put comm in them which worked well, but the clear shield microwaved my nose, cheeks, lips & chin, and I looked like a boiled lobster for about three weeks. If you choose this helmet, PLEASE consider a smoke or dark smoke, or even a mirrored, shield. They're great helmets, but full face, clear shield, is not suitable for hot summer travel if you have light skin.

Was looking for a full face helmet a couple of years ago. Visited a lot of shops and found two of the lightest full faceStreet helmets. They were Arai and the Shoei RF 1000.

Arai beat Shoei by less than an ounce. However the Arai was $647 while the Shoei was $306. I bought the Shoei. On Oct 18, 2009 I hit a deer going 70 MPH. I rolled four times on the asphalt and each time my helmet scraped along the visor and the other parts of the helmet.

Unfortunately, my face looks like it does because of birth. The helmet was destroyed. My face and neck - unscathed. Needless to say when I replaced the full face helmet, it was another Shoei. Just got the thinnest speakers J&M make installed and the helmet with speakers fit my noggin like a glove.

After much research, I chose the HJC IS-33 Motorcycle Helmet (Color: Anthracite) I have the headphones and microphone installed and it works well. While riding last years Rolling Thunder, Ride For The Wall, temperatures reached 98°F. The helmet was cooler (with vents open) than riding in a doo-rag.

It's a three quarter helmet with a face shield which offers 95% UV protection. Inside it also has a integrated smoke-tinted sunshield that deploys and retracts quickly and easily. Plus, at $125, is a bit more cost efective than other brands.

HJC IS-33 Motorcycle Helmet - SafeRacer

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Deacon

The Shark Evoline is the most comfortable and versatile helmet you will ever own !

You can choose to wear it as a full face or an open face and you have a sun visor that retracts into the helmet.

When you ride with it in the open position the chin bar goes all the way to the rear of the helmet so you don't have the wind trying to pull your head back and you can still use the face shield in the open face position.

I usually take the face shield off during the summer months because I really don't need it and it cools the helmet bit better.

I installed the J&M headsets and they work great. The boom mike works in either position.

As I said - it is a great helmet with a lot of versatility.

Tom

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png