Goldwing Trike Recommendations?

Aug 17, 2017
Vineland, NJ
I have an Indian Roadmaster CSC Trike but one of the guys I ride with wants to buy a goldwing and turn it into a trike. He is wondering what would be the top 3 choices for conversion kits to consider for his goldwing? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ed

The easiest and most obvious choice for me, after completing all the research, was the CSC Viper kit by California SideCar. Over the past 1 1/2 years, CSC spent a lot of phone and email time with me. They responded professionally, quickly and with a "solid good customer relationship" attitude.

I had the opportunity to speak with Dwight (in operations), Cassidy (in customer service) and Will (in tech support) on the Viper kits and their components. They were instrumental in helping me understand their product and all of the related accessories.

CSC manufactured and delivered the kit as originally scheduled on time.

See my build thread HERE.

I kinda jumped into the trike thing after not riding for a few years. Saw a local Goldwing with 2014 Motor Trike conversion. Was beautiful. Rode it & bought it. Read about CSC and liked what I read but it seemed they were more expensive and I wasn't certain I wanted to go there. (At least yet.) I read nothing really negative about the Motor Trike kit so I'm curious what the general opinion here is on Motor Trike? Thanks

My own follow up: I've been hopping around the forum and see some favorable and some unfavorable MT "reviews." I guess it's like anything else mechanical. Some degree of luck is going to be mixed in no matter what conversion one may buy.

I kinda jumped into the trike thing after not riding for a few years. Saw a local Goldwing with 2014 Motor Trike conversion. Was beautiful. Rode it & bought it. Read about CSC and liked what I read but it seemed they were considerably more expensive and I wasn't certain I wanted to go there. (At least yet.) I read nothing really negative about the Motor Trike kit so I'm curious what the general opinion here is on Motor Trike? Thanks

My own follow up: I've been hopping around the forum and see some favorable and some unfavorable "reviews." I guess it's like anything else mechanical. Some degree of luck is going to be mixed in no matter what conversion one may buy.

I've owned two. First was a single axle kit on a Valkyrie. No real problems, other than my stupidity. I liked to hot-rod too much back then, twisted a couple of drive shafts.

On my '07 1800, I have the Adventure kit, IRS. I bought it used with near 11K miles. Right away I installed the new "green joint" grease-able drive shaft. I have since put over 50K miles on it with absolutely no problems.

....knocking on wooden table now.....

I've owned two. First was a single axle kit on a Valkyrie. No real problems, other than my stupidity. I liked to hot-rod too much back then, twisted a couple of drive shafts.

On my '07 1800, I have the Adventure kit, IRS. I bought it used with near 11K miles. Right away I installed the new "green joint" grease-able drive shaft. I have since put over 50K miles on it with absolutely no problems.

....knocking on wooden table now.....

Not familiar with the green joint drive shaft. Will do some research on that. Thanks for the input.

Terry, if you pull the right side cover, where you check/add oil, you can see the front u-joint thru there. The original was black, I believe the second gen was gray, the final improvement had a green front u-joint, with one of the cups drilled and tapped on the end and a grease zerk installed. That end position seems kinda funny, what with all other grease zerks I've seen being installed on the cross within the u-joint. But with that zerk on the end of the cap, it is easy too push on a grease gun and give it a few pumps. About three is all mine ever takes.

But ya still gotta jack it up to get to the rear conventional u-joint. Takes all of five minutes to grease both.

Terry, if you pull the right side cover, where you check/add oil, you can see the front u-joint thru there. The original was black, I believe the second gen was gray, the final improvement had a green front u-joint, with one of the cups drilled and tapped on the end and a grease zerk installed. That end position seems kinda funny, what with all other grease zerks I've seen being installed on the cross within the u-joint. But with that zerk on the end of the cap, it is easy too push on a grease gun and give it a few pumps. About three is all mine ever takes.

But ya still gotta jack it up to get to the rear conventional u-joint. Takes all of five minutes to grease both.

Good news is that mine is green. Bad news is that the side cover doesn't reveal enough for me to access the zerk. I can see it, just can't get to it! I don't have a grease gun with the flexible hose at the end. Will have to get one and try to fish it.

Separately, I was checking the CV boots. Noticed that three allen wrench screws on the outside of the left boot were very loose! Two in fact were half way out. I tightened them best I can but not sure I was able to tighten them to spec. Think I better set up an appointment and get her checked over.

I kinda jumped into the trike thing after not riding for a few years. Saw a local Goldwing with 2014 Motor Trike conversion. Was beautiful. Rode it & bought it. Read about CSC and liked what I read but it seemed they were considerably more expensive and I wasn't certain I wanted to go there. (At least yet.) I read nothing really negative about the Motor Trike kit so I'm curious what the general opinion here is on Motor Trike? Thanks

My own follow up: I've been hopping around the forum and see some favorable and some unfavorable "reviews." I guess it's like anything else mechanical. Some degree of luck is going to be mixed in no matter what conversion one may buy.

I have a Motor Trike Razor. Love it. Turn a trike upside down and they're all sisters :0) Pick the one you like. Remember, you'll have it for a looong time. You'll hear comments from all trikers favoring the one they ride now. Conformational bias. I chose the Razor because I like the style. To me, all other mfg's trikes all look the same - and some kind of bland.

1. Just a matter of opinion. I like Ind rear. , some say more moving parts. Mine is a DFT. 20 years old. Still ticking with 70,000 on it .. I can feel the bumps on the straight axle Wife felt it even more. Rear passenger comfort better on a IND.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png