Replace or not to replace

Oct 12, 2015
Albany
While having a modified exhaust put on by an independent shop they called my attention to a tiny rock chip right smack dab in the middle of the final drive belt. As we were launching for Sturgis 77th in two weeks (great time!) I took it to Salem, OR Harley to replace the belt. To his credit the service manager candidly said to not worry as the hole was in middle of belt, belt wasn't cut at edges, etc but I went ahead & shelled out $1,000 & change to replace it.

So..... did I waste my money riders:(??!! My '97 Wide Glide lived for 40K miles with the same condition & I sold it like that;).

While having a modified exhaust put on by an independent shop they called my attention to a tiny rock chip right smack dab in the middle of the final drive belt. As we were launching for Sturgis 77th in two weeks (great time!) I took it to Salem, OR Harley to replace the belt. To his credit the service manager candidly said to not worry as the hole was in middle of belt, belt wasn't cut at edges, etc but I went ahead & shelled out $1,000 & change to replace it.

So..... did I waste my money riders:(??!! My '97 Wide Glide lived for 40K miles with the same condition & I sold it like that;).

I wound't have , But you did...Why worry over spilt milk...:Shrug:

your ride u decide

The last bike I built was a 99 Sporty with aOEM belt

The customer wanted a new 1

Sportys are easy, your bike NOT so much

I have NEVERreplaced any of mine since 1988

The belts are tougher than a timing belt

I think you'd have probably been OK too but am sure of one thing: I broke a belt about 10-12 years ago and it cost me $400 on a Electra Glide. If they only charged you $1000 for a Tglide where the whole rear end has to be removed I think you got a pretty good deal. That's a guess on my part, but I think it could have been much worse.

PC

The belt on my wife's 93 FXLR had a small rock hole in it in about the middle.Noticed it around 25,000 miles finally replaced it at 50,000 because we were putting new wheels on it.That FXLR is probably 500 lbs lighter that a trike.The point is if its in the middle it shouldn't hurt the life of the belt,but if it gave you peace of mind it was worth every penny you paid.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png