Tools of the Road (VW oriented must haves )

Aug 19, 2017
Oak Run Ca. USA
OK so I have ability to bring a moderate amount of Tools & small spares in my box if no helmet is in there .(Any recommendations greatly appreciated ) so far I have some of my Hazet vintage VW bug spare tire toolbox spares (Hazet/DIN metric wrenches , Hazet channel lock pliers , Hazet screwdrivers , champion gapping tool , long funnel ,Hazet small pliers, medium crescent wrench...

OK so I have ability to bring a moderate amount of Tools & small spares in my box if no helmet is in there .(Any recommendations greatly appreciated ) so far I have some of my Hazet vintage VW bug spare tire toolbox spares (Hazet/DIN metric wrenches , Hazet channel lock pliers , Hazet screwdrivers , champion gapping tool , long funnel ,Hazet small pliers, medium crescent wrench...

Balling wire, Vice Grips, Flashlight ...Insurance card with towing package....

With the quality of ignition components, condensors and also the electronic points replacer modules, both are troublesome.

Lots of the car people set up a distributor and get it tuned and running well then remove it with the clamp still on it. So then it can be dropped in and in time and running. This one put in the box and a new clamp and distributor installed.

So if the ignition quits. Pop off the cap. One nut off the clamp. Out with the old and in with the new. One nut. And the cap. Back running.

I personally have had both a condensor and an electronic module quit on me in the trike. But I was lucky and close to home. I now have ford ignition on mine.

I carry a complete toolbox I made up with a lot in it

but what I use most are

A few good knifes

Zip ties

Side cutters

Flat tip

Philips

wrench to adjust idle

wrenches to adjust shiftier

Extra throttle cable

robber gloves

Have not had to use on the road yet

Fuses

wiring repair kit

electrical tape

spark plugs

spark plug wrench

Lug wrench

Fix a flat

extra helmet

I now have my trike covered under AAA.

It was not covered a few weeks ago when my clutch went out. The tow home was expensive

I think I may have a pliers and one of those screwdrivers you can flip the tips around on. That don't take care of it, credit card and cell phone will have to do.

I carry a complete toolbox I made up with a lot in it

but what I use most are

A few good knifes

Zip ties

Side cutters

Flat tip

Philips

wrench to adjust idle

wrenches to adjust shiftier

Extra throttle cable

robber gloves

Have not had to use on the road yet

Fuses

wiring repair kit

electrical tape

spark plugs

spark plug wrench

Lug wrench

Fix a flat

extra helmet

I now have my trike covered under AAA.

It was not covered a few weeks ago when my clutch went out. The tow home was expensive

A Longtime Shop in Redding is closing (Al's Kraut Car Repair) and Al (Retiring VW Guru of the Far Nor Cal area)has invited me for a private audience today , I will lobby to get him to let me assist as he begins cleanup /Load out from the facility/Shop. If he bites I will negotiate my assistance in exchange for some of his troves & spares (Some listed above) should be fun digging around & sorting through 40+Years of VW Repair Shop Activity ...

Don't forget the Acme metric Allen keys .

If you guys have seen pics of my Trike it looks as though I have enough room for a Spare Tire (Lol if I could find one of the Caddy Spoke Rims ) and mount it on the back like they are mounted on a Ural sidecar or WW2 BMW or Zundapp ...:Coffee::qpnmt::Joker3:

and a good flash light!!!!

I unused to buy cheap flashlights. Had lots of them.

I learned my lesson. I buy good/dependable flashlights now

Good flashlights are like good sunglasses.....I always wind up losing them, Or in the case of good sunglasses sitting on them...

The cheap ones never walk away....:laugh:

Handle bar tool bag:

Tool roll with a selection of metric and SAE wrenches, ratchet with 2 extensions, small screwdrivers, a magnetic pick up and feeler gauges. A multi-tip screwdriver, pocket knife, a selection of small allen wrenches and allen sockets, 1 pair each diagonal cutters, channel locks and needle nose pliers, a small pair of vise grips, tire gauge and some stuff I can't recall.

Frame bag:

A lighter, crimp connecters, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, fuses, solder and a length of wire for electrical repairs. Pencil torch with a small can of fuel, 1/16th cable, solder and flux for making throttle cables. Points, condenser, cap and rotor, plugs. Zip ties (2 sizes). Fuel filter, extra fuel pump relay, an extra headlight relay and a small selection of nuts, bolts and screws common to the machine.

Saddle bags:

2 gallons extra fuel, 1 quart of oil, rags, extra cargo nets, straps, metric/SAE 1/4" drive socket set, small first aid kit and a flashlight. I leave a little room for other stuff as needed.

Now most of you are reading this and screaming over kill. Hell, I could probably pick up a mile or two to the gallon if I'd ditch about half of it, but truth is, over the years I've either used or needed every bit of it at one time or another. Such are the joys of riding a home-built, and like I tell the guys I ride with, "Ain't no dealership for these at every off ramp, so if it breaks, you gotta be ready." And there's been more than once when they were glad I carry all that stuff as well.

PEACE and ride safe!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png