Easy Steer and wobble

Oct 11, 2010
Seoul
I have a 4 degree Fatboy rake kit on my softail trike which makes steering effortless. The problem is I can't take my hands off the bars for more than a second as the trike starts to wobble immediately. Do any of you know if there's anything I can do to the neck to tighten this up without purchasing some sort of dampening system for the steering?

I have a 4 degree Fatboy rake kit on my softail trike which makes steering effortless. The problem is I can't take my hands off the bars for more than a second as the trike starts to wobble immediately. Do any of you know if there's anything I can do to the neck to tighten this up without purchasing some sort of dampening system for the steering?

The neck bearing nut should be really tight. Much tighter than when it was a two wheeler. Should have very little free movement when you let it go from a full left lock position when it is off the ground.

The neck bearing nut should be really tight. Much tighter than when it was a two wheeler. Should have very little free movement when you let it go from a full left lock position when it is off the ground.

tmigala: Is this something I could do externally or do I need to take it to a shop? Also, would it negate the "easy" in easy steer? Thanks.

I put an ez steer on my wife's 05 RK Motor Trike conversion and it cured the wobble and of course turned it into power steering. Just went by the instruction's as far as stem nut torque. Best money spent, next to the S&S 111 inch motor I installed.
SR

Ted is correct. Get out your service manual, and go through the 'fall away' test. Tighten the stem enough to stop the forks in the first swing. If you installed the raked trees, then you should have the knowledge to do this, if not, have your installer tighten it up for you. A steering damper May still be required, however, and those are relatively inexpensive on eBay and elsewhere. Tightning the stem and/or adding a damper will not affect the power steering feeling you are enjoying. One question for you: Where did you get the 4 degree trees? I'm asking because there are some brands out there that will bottom out the stem threads before you can get fall-away tightned enough.

tmigala: Is this something I could do externally or do I need to take it to a shop? Also, would it negate the "easy" in easy steer? Thanks.[/QU

Bones I'm afraid it's a little complicated. The nut in question is on top of the top triple tree. It is usually covered by body wear on most Harley's. It's not a hard thing to do for someone with moderate wrenching skills. I suggest getting the maintenance manual for your bike if you are going to try this. Just follow the directions for setting the "FALL AWAY", but instead of 3 swings you want one to less than one. No it does NOT negate the easy steer.

Most of the aftermarket raked trees have the stem nut on the bottom. Makes it much easier to get at, especially on a FL-type softail with tins.

After installing the trees did you make sure the fork tubes were the same distance from tree to axle? If not the wheel will be out of alignment and case a bag wobble.

When I changed out my triple trees on my harley after my DFT conversion I also added 2 inches to the fork tubes. If I remember correctly we went 3 deg over stock on the triple trees. This was on a 96 FLHTCU.

Your symptom suggests loose tree bearings.
Did your new tripple tree include new bearings and races? If so, the new races MAY not have been fully seated and since you have driven it the races may have moved into the seated position, making the bearings loose now.

Double check the neck bearings and let us know what you find.

Regards,
Chuck

after purchasing the 2011 Tri Glide Ultra I think installing a dampener would have been the way to go. Doesn't matter... taking it back to two and selling the Frankenstein kit if I can - don't need two trikes! Thanks all.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png