Front tyre puzzles

May 30, 2015
Perth Western Australia
I have a Valk trike, with an Avon AV71 tyre on the front wheel. HOwever ut does not have "Trike" on it anywhere that I can see, so I assume it's noit actually a trike AV71.

Is the true Trike version of the AV71 fairly recent? The tyre's age I do not know, so maybe it was the best at the time.

I often read that bias tyres are best for trike front ends, yet the AV71 Trike is radial. Puzzled.

My other question is: if it's for trikes, why such a round profile? I realise that a flat car tyre could be awful on the front, because trikes do still lean their front wheel into a turn, due to the rake. I have a 6 Deg rake kit on the Valk trike and if I am using a third of the tread on this tyre I would be surprised. Why not a tyre that is dished and not totally bike-shaped round?

I know that there are trikes that have a lot more rake than mine, and would need more rounding to avoid "the edge". But surely there is some compromise between using none of the tread in my case, and the shallowest part at that, and some trikes needing a bit more lean capability.

Genuinely interested in replies. If there is a _significant_ gain from the real Trike AV71, then I would look at changing.

OK. Thanks. revzilla. good price....did not tell me they would not ship it to Aust until right at the end of the checkout process. rrrgh!

I have found a place that has reasonable freight rates and a reasonable price on the Trike tyre. I assume you live in the US? We have to pay, after much hunting for the best price, around USD$210 delivered to Oz. :( It can go steeply upward from there...

Sounds like you're right, though. Since I asked, I have seen that the tyre I have has developed quite a "Shoulder" at the limit of use by the trike. Unfortunately that renders it of low value to a biker.

So. Are there any ride gains from the Trike version, and are they dramatic? Comfort..handling? If it's just a matter of degrees, then I will wear this one out.

Nick

I'm sure there are Australian companies that carry & offer the trike tire (Avon is based in the UK if I'm not mistaken).

If your tire has life left in it, might as well use it up either way.

There are multiple threads on this forum about the trike tire from other riders, at the upper right corner of the trike talk page there's a small white box that says "Advanced Search" just underneath it. If you were to type in Avon trike tire you'll see find pages & pages of discussions in regards to it. I'd rely on feedback found there far more than mine as it's feedback from other riders such as yourself that have used the tire on their trikes and have first hand experience with it.

Thanks very much for the input.

Hmmm...Oz sellers.....not many and some of those simply redirect to the USA! There are a couple that sell direct...and I have not found one yet that was not more $$ than importing from the USA. There would be a small market here for this tyre I reckon.

OK yeah I will wear my present one out.

OK yeah I will search and see what is said.

Thanks Again

Nick

Hi.

It was when I revisited the ads for the Trike tyre I saw the diameter problem :mad:

Yeah I have looked at the D404. ATM I have an Avon AV71 radial non-Trike tyre on the front. It's a 150/80. It is a front cruiser tyre (which AFAICS is where the 71 comes in, not 72.). I really like the extra width, mainly I have to admit for the sake of appearance (and of course NONE of us is concerned about THAT! :D). I reckon it has a nice chunky look that goes well with my meaty, black and chrome Valk lady. SO the D404 may well be suitable.It's a radial as well, for a softer ride.

I may have posted this as a separate post, but you are the horses's mouth here, since you actuallky ride the D404 reversed. What's the story about water dispersal. The tread pattern looks very specifically designed to squeegee the water out to the sides and reversing it may get in the way of that.

Nick

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png