Valve Noise

Apr 19, 2010
Greeneville, TN
What do you suppose could be causing valve noise in my 2008 Ultra-Roadsmith? The last couple of times I rode, the valve noise came in at about 2500 rpm until it was fully warmed up, then it was quiet. The oil is clean and pretty fresh, about 1500 miles on it. I use Amsoil 20W-50 and have exclusively since 5000 miles. I change oil and filter at 3000 miles, yea I know that's probably a waste, but I feel better about it. I now have a bit over 17000 miles on it. Any help or opinions are appreciated.

What do you suppose could be causing valve noise in my 2008 Ultra-Roadsmith? The last couple of times I rode, the valve noise came in at about 2500 rpm until it was fully warmed up, then it was quiet. The oil is clean and pretty fresh, about 1500 miles on it. I use Amsoil 20W-50 and have exclusively since 5000 miles. I change oil and filter at 3000 miles, yea I know that's probably a waste, but I feel better about it. I now have a bit over 17000 miles on it. Any help or opinions are appreciated.

Here's your solution. Hands down the best and most quiet lifters on the market today. I've installed them on several bikes and they are as quiet as a church mouse. Stock pushrods or adjustable, makes no difference.

We have done side-by-side comparison on stock touring HD bikes same year and about the same mileage (20,000 miles). No more lifter or rocker arm clicking sound at start up, idle or when cruising.

Black Ops Lifters

Lifters

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Wizzard. I will consider these. It sounds like maybe the stock lifters are not holding until the engine is warmed up to operating temp. The problem just now started, however the noise seems to be in the top of the engine. I guess that the lifters not pumping up to the max would place the slack in the rocker area, thus the noise?????

There are many things that can cause "lifter" noise; coil bind, rocker to spring cap interference, spring cap to stems, guide length, coil bind, oiling problems, high lift cam profile causing some loft, overheating motor, wrong oil/viscosity for expected ambient temperatures, low oil pressure, chain or gear drive wear, on and on, ad-nauseum, but if you are sure all of those things are OK, and the lifters still are rattling, I strongly recommend the AMS-Hylift Lifters. I'm as convinced on these, just like Wiz is convinced with the ones HQ is selling, hell, they may be the same ones, LOL. These lifters are duplicates of the original twinkie lifters used in 1999-2001. Why are they better?
Here's the write-up:
From 1999 - 2001, Johnson-Hylift supplied lifters to Harley-Davidson...
Johnson-Hylift designed and produced a special piston and valve body
to work across the temp ranges and varying oil psi typically encountered
on a Harley engine. Since 2001, in a cost-savings move, HD has used
Delphi hydraulic lifters, (basically chevy hyd roller lifters) which explains Harley's p/n change from
18538-99 to 18538-99A, and after some problems, a second Delphi lifter
was used, p/n 18538-99B. However, Delphi still did not use a 0.655"
hi-volume / hi-pressure plunger and valve body like those specifically
designed for Harley by Johnson-Hylift. After some research AMS learned
Delphi 18538-99B lifters bleed down rather quickly due to the
higher engine temps and heavy valve spring pressure found on most
Harley Twin Cam's. The oil reservoir inside the lifter is too small,
allowing the lifter to clatter, and likely causes many Twin-Cam bikes
to be noisy. Note: ALL lifters bleed off during operation and even
more-so when the bikes sits, engine off.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it, LOL. I've installed several sets of these in twinkies, and they do work. Like I stated above, I have not tried the H.Q. lifters that Wiz recommends, and they may or may not be better, just offering another choice.

Automotive Machine & Supply :: Parts for Harley Motorcycles

UB

Update: Seven of us rode to Key West last week and returned this Wednesday (boy am I tired!). On two occassions, my lifters had leaked down and the noise was as bad or worse than before. It was only at start-up and quieted down after about 1/2 mile. I'm convinced that the noise is caused by the lifters leaking down. I am running Amsoil 20W50 and a Baisley Spring. The oil pressure is good, better than before with the stock oil pump spring. My riding partners all ride 2009 96" Harleys. They don't have this problem, although one has more mileage on his than mine. I am considering the Black Ops, AMS and Woods. The Woods are about $260 for a set, way high but are they actually that much better? Any experience out there?
Jim

After getting my FLHX Streetglide with an oil pressure gauge, I was shocked at how little oil pressure was generated at idle and at cruise! No wonder the lifters leak down..my oil pressure at idle was somewhere around 5 lbs., and at cruise I was lucky to see 35 lbs! I was not ready for that. I also used the AMSOIL 20w50 and had no problems...it has 12,000 miles now with no extra noise.

Here's your solution. Hands down the best and most quiet lifters on the market today. I've installed them on several bikes and they are as quiet as a church mouse. Stock pushrods or adjustable, makes no difference.

We have done side-by-side comparison on stock touring HD bikes same year and about the same mileage (20,000 miles). No more lifter or rocker arm clicking sound at start up, idle or when cruising.

Black Ops Lifters

Lifters

I had a 2010 TG in here last week with 11K miles on her. Stock trike 103.

Did the usual upgrades, TTS tuner, Fullsac X Pipe, Ness AC, but we kept the stock mufflers. Owner went Woods 555 cams, adjustable rods and HQ Black Op liters.

Forgot to soak the lifters before installing... is what it is...

Installed them anyway dry, right out of the box. I pulled the plugs and cranked her for about 45 seconds and saw oil pressure come up on the gauge then went back and adjusted the rods again.

When she fired up there was one tapping (exhaust rear). Within 60 seconds of idling she quieted down. Owner was impressed as to how quiet the motor was now.

Anyway... several test runs up to hitting rev limiter for the tuning she's back on the road. The combo of the Woods 555 and Black ops is hard to beat.

...btw.. hot idle at 5 pounds and cruise at 35 is fairly common Chris although I would rather see 10 pounds at idle there are more 5 pounder bikes than 10 if that makes any sense.

Forgot to soak the lifters before installing... is what it is...

Installed them anyway dry, right out of the box. I pulled the plugs and cranked her for about 45 seconds and saw oil pressure come up on the gauge then went back and adjusted the rods again.

When she fired up there was one tapping (exhaust rear). Within 60 seconds of idling she quieted down. Owner was impressed as to how quiet the motor was now.

Besides a soak I normally take a pump oil can I have and pump oil in the hole on the side until I see air free oil come out the top.

A simpler consideration.
What was the outside temp the "last couple times"?
Did you let the motor warm up before you rode?
If it was cold weather-what weight oil are you using?
Cold weather = warm up for the motor w/lighter weight oil.

I have a lifter tick in the rear cylinder at idle with18-20 pounds (I run the hydraulic tensioner upgrade kit with the larger pump)....doesn't seem to matter. I have not been able to "adjust" it out, not a pushrod cover and no evidence of the rocker arm hitting the cover. It's not as noticeable with dino. I make the assumption it's slack in the rocker. I consider it a built-in feature and run the he!! out of it. I can't hear it at 75-mph anyway.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png