Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1996 Road Hawk Handicapped Trike

10+ Posts
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Default Thank you fo rthe info.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryA View Post
    hawkmtn33...... check the valve lash, valve springs, especially the intakes.....if a spring is broken or lash is too tight the piston coming up on compression will blow your intake fuel/air mixture back out f the cylinder ......making starting and idle almost impossible....also I'm assuming a good blue spark at cranking rpm, and timing set around 10 deg. if a miss shows up after the engine warms up........again check valve lash....better a tad loose than too tight. These, and most engines don't have to be perfect to run pretty darn good! good luck on your trouble shooting!
    Once again thank you for the info, all I get I pass on to my mech, hopefully it will be running good real soon.

10+ Posts
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Default Carb's

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnuSnu View Post
    You keep saying carbs.....as in plural.

What carbs do you have?

Stock or stock type solex or kadron single barrel carbs can corrode and plug up solid in the low speed fuel circuit.

I had an empi copy of a solex that was so plugged that I was wondering if I was wrong or if it had not been machined from the factory. After several attempts I did finally get a wire through it. Just kept breaking wires out of the wire brush and stabbing at it.
    I believe there duel webers. Thank you for the info

200+ Posts
    User ID

If they are dual Webbers this article over in Samba also covers them. Breaking them down, some of the troubles with each one, what others do to correct it. This is one place I learned more about my Kad's and how they work and some of their issues.

I will have to figure out how to https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=572107 copy and paste the link.

Yes it is a bit long, but this thread covers a few different carb models and has a lot of user input on the tips and tricks about them.

Mechanical or electrical fuel pump, if they work for idle one thinks they will work all the time, not always true, maybe just check out put pressure of the fuel pump a

at a low RPM and a high RPM.

I do not know if you can copy that thread to a thumb drive or DVD to have so you could get the info to your mechanic friend. He might find it very useful in the future.

Hope all is going forward and you are getting ever closer to riding again.

TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID

Okay ... once you get the mechanics figured out ... your gonna have to paint it red ... or paint your chair purple ...
    2003 Gold Wing - Helga, 2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn, 2008 Gold Wing with Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2, 2001 Goldwing - Tweety, 2015, HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl, 2011 HD Ultra - Raven, 2006 K1200LT - Vianca, 2007 HD Ultra - Ice Blue, 2006 HD Ultra - Arctic Blast, 2004 Honda Goldwing - Snow White, 2001 Goldwing - Crimson Pearl, And Many More

10+ Posts
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Default Running

Picked it up from the mechanic 2 weeks ago, been to 1 parade with it already and on the way home she was back firing like crazy. I picked up some seafoam and poured that in with a fill up of high test and opened her up for a good couple a miles that seemed to clear out whatever was clogging the carbs and no more back firing. Have put about 300 miles on her in the last week and a half. Still have some bugs to work out but she's coming along and fun as all heck to ride Will keep posting as I go along, come Winter will be looking to take her in for a new coat, not sure what color yet or what theme I'll be going for, but whatever it is I'm sure she'll be hot

200+ Posts
    User ID

time to pick the bugs off your teeth, LOL

So glad to hear it and it is so awesome you are enjoying it, keep safe our friend.

10+ Posts
    User ID
    FT Author
    1 Thread

Default Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpanystrom61 View Post
    time to pick the bugs off your teeth, LOL

So glad to hear it and it is so awesome you are enjoying it, keep safe our friend.
    Just wanted to say thank you to all those here in this forum. The people and the info that one can find in here is truly amazing and so very helpful. I will be sure to keep everyone up to date on my progress.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123