Back ordered part.

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
About two weeks ago I took my 17 Tri in for a issue with the idle,they had to order a clutch safety switch.So after a call to the shop yesterday they told me the part is on back order with no idea of when it will come in.

Okay not all that big of an issue except i am leaving for Daytona in less then 3 weeks and i don't want to break down in the middle of Bum* Egypt.So I asked the service writer to ask the general manager about taking a switch off one sitting on the floor then just replace it with the new part.So I will soon see what kind a customer service this shop is willing to offer.

Idle problem ? Clutch safety switch ? Don't understand the connection :Shrug:

I can only answer for my 17....Because of EPA regs, The M8 has to idle at around 850rpm's And sometimes at an abrupt stop it will drop below that, And if you come off the clutch, At that moment you can stall the engine... The safety switch will give me trouble only if i don't have the leaver hard against the grip...I have an adjustable leaver and i use the #2 out of 8 settings, If i use the #1 setting[closest to the grip] it wont let the lever press against the grip, So it won't start in gear at that setting......

I can only answer for my 17....Because of EPA regs, The M8 has to idle at around 850rpm's And sometimes at an abrupt stop it will drop below that, And if you come off the clutch, At that moment you can stall the engine... The safety switch will give me trouble only if i don't have the leaver hard against the grip...I have an adjustable leaver and i use the #2 out of 8 settings, If i use the #1 setting[closest to the grip] it wont let the lever press against the grip, So it won't start in gear at that setting......

Mine will drop down to around 500 then back up to 1100 a couple times and sometimes it will stall so i will try to make sure that I have the clutch lever pulled in hard and see how it acts.

Mine will drop down to around 500 then back up to 1100 a couple times and sometimes it will stall so i will try to make sure that I have the clutch lever pulled in hard and see how it acts.

Mine never dropped that low,... When the engine is cold' Like first starting in the morning it will idle at 1100, Till the engine warms up then its back to 850...And in my humble opinion thats to low,....I staled it out a few times when i first got it, Haven't staled a bike in over 50 years till then, Since i got an adjustable clutch lever i haven't had a problem.

But the low idle at times is unnerving and feels like for want of better word's , Like its gonna faint...

I know with larger grips ya got to yank the clutch into the grips if ya start in gear. Got ta check the idle rpm thing out. The education just never seems to cease :clapping:

Mine never dropped that low,... When the engine is cold' Like first starting in the morning it will idle at 1100, Till the engine warms up then its back to 850...And in my humble opinion thats to low,....I staled it out a few times when i first got it, Haven't staled a bike in over 50 years till then, Since i got an adjustable clutch lever i haven't had a problem.

But the low idle at times is unnerving and feels like for want of better word's , Like its gonna faint...

This is exactly where mine runs... 1100 when cold, then as low as 850, but not until I am at a stop for about 5 seconds or so.

I too find the low idle on the M8s annoying to put it mildly. What I have learned from my dealer's service manager and verified in actual use is that if you enable ETIMS when it goes active it actually increases the idle speed. On my bike to just a tad under a grand. Now I know some folks don't like the sound / feel of the motor when it is active and the rear cylinder is firing. It doesn't really bother me and I like the increased idle speed.

About two weeks ago I took my 17 Tri in for a issue with the idle,they had to order a clutch safety switch.So after a call to the shop yesterday they told me the part is on back order with no idea of when it will come in.

Okay not all that big of an issue except i am leaving for Daytona in less then 3 weeks and i don't want to break down in the middle of Bum* Egypt.So I asked the service writer to ask the general manager about taking a switch off one sitting on the floor then just replace it with the new part.So I will soon see what kind a customer service this shop is willing to offer.

Which Dealer in this area ?

Revised idle speed

Harley has changed the idle speed of the '17 M8. There is an updated flash for the ECM to fix the very problem you are experiencing. I'll see if I can locate the info. It had been posted on another forum. I'm running the SE Street Tuner and Harley has updated the Stage 1 tune twice now. The first update raised the idle from 850 to 950.

Harley has changed the idle speed of the '17 M8. There is an updated flash for the ECM to fix the very problem you are experiencing. I'll see if I can locate the info. It had been posted on another forum. I'm running the SE Street Tuner and Harley has updated the Stage 1 tune twice now. The first update raised the idle from 850 to 950.

I have already had the newest upload on the ECM installed in Aug,it was ok for a while then back at it,so they claim its the clutch safety switch.

I have had the same problem .

Same problem with mu 2017. Have to keep the clutch lever hard against the grip.

The low idle has nothing at all to with keeping the cluch lever against the grip, Thats just to start in gear, The switch is a red herring, Likewise the ETIMS, The only time you can change the idle [raise] is when you put the trike in reverse ...

The more I read about the new bikes, the M8's the happier I am with my 'ole '13. Reading all these gyrations you are having with low idle issues, having to stand on you head using 3 hands to start 'em......so on and so on!!! Have 22,00 on my tricycle and plan to put many more before I'd even think about buying a new one. Smooth motor or not !! But being 73 I'll probably won't out live the '13.

8~\o

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png