Erratic RPMs

Jun 6, 2017
Moville, IOWA
Don't know if this is an issue or not but when in neutral and throttling at 1100 RPMs I get an erratic RPMs that jumps from 11 to 1500 up and down but do not have this at any other RPMs.

Note do not have an issue when driving down the street if I'm cruising at 1100 RPMs just when standing still.

Also my GL 1800 - 08 model has 61000 miles on it and no record of any type of preventive maintenance other than me changing the oil every season. Im looking at spark plug changes maybe coolant flush and possible check valve clearances any other recommendations or suggestions here appreciate it.

Don't know if this is an issue or not but when in neutral and throttling at 1100 RPMs I get an erratic RPMs that jumps from 11 to 1500 up and down but do not have this at any other RPMs.

Note do not have an issue when driving down the street if I'm cruising at 1100 RPMs just when standing still.

Also my GL 1800 - 08 model has 61000 miles on it and no record of any type of preventive maintenance other than me changing the oil every season. Im looking at spark plug changes maybe coolant flush and possible check valve clearances any other recommendations or suggestions here appreciate it.

I think it is time to clean the throttle body. Do it either with carb cleaner, and a tooth brush, or some Seafoam throttle body cleaner. Dirt gets piled up under and over the throttle blade, and causes the symptoms that you describe.

After starting and during warm up while in "N", is there a noticeable change in PRMs when you pull in and then let the clutch lever out ???

no change in RPMs clutch in or out have not been able to make this do it again

Then your "off idle surge" between 1,100-1,500rpms is very normal ... in other words, they all do it.

As for maintenance items, do you have an Owner's Manual ??? If so and for reliable travel, follow Honda's maintenance schedule to a tee.

Thanks for the reply back Greg. Yes I do have a manual and bought the bike used with 30,000 miles on it 3 years ago I put 30,000 on it and triked it out myself two years ago the only thing I've done is just kept the oil changes up. I have own 3 gold wings and this is my first 1800 and never have check valve clearances I'm assuming this is something I should probably do plus all the other recommended maintenance items.

Thanks for the reply back Greg. Yes I do have a manual and bought the bike used with 30,000 miles on it 3 years ago I put 30,000 on it and triked it out myself two years ago the only thing I've done is just kept the oil changes up. I have own 3 gold wings and this is my first 1800 and never have check valve clearances I'm assuming this is something I should probably do plus all the other recommended maintenance items.

Follow the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual or Service Manual. I would start by doing all maintenance items under the 24,000 mile column. Then also replace the spark plugs and do a valve adjustment. Many DIYs only do the items they feel comfortable with, however, the list includes evaporative emission control system, secondary air supply system, clutch system, brake system, and reverse operation. Notice in your schedule, brake pad wear is listed separate then the brake system. Be thorough and do it all.

However, to me Honda's maintenance schedule has a couple of short comings. For example, I always test the battery, clean the connections, and test the alternator output also. With the bike running, your garage door closed to block out light, and with your shop lights off, check all the thumb control lighting ... the lower control panel(s), handle bar switches, and the radio.

In addition, because you have a trike, follow the maintenance schedule for your trike kit. You can usually find that info on your manufactures web page.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png