Output shaft on GL1800

You mean this shaft ??? It used to be straight :) The one pictured is what I'm gonna call an output shaft that comes out the back of a rear engine case on a GL1800. It's the shaft that a drive shaft's front yoke slides on too. However, the output shaft of the transmission is a different shaft.

Confused ... me too ... and it's because Honda uses different names for the transmission's output shaft depending on weather one is looking in their parts fishe or their Service Manual.

In Honda's parts fishe (#6) they call it a counter shaft, in their Service manual it's a transmission output shaft.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2005/GL1800+A/TRANSMISSION/parts.html

But, the output shaft you are probably referring to is a "shaft, final gear" #3.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2005/GL1800+A/FINAL+SHAFT/parts.html

I've not seen an output shaft break, but with the cracks in this one, if it had turned a couple of more times it likely would have. This one did not come off of a RS trike.

DSCN9159.JPGDSCN9160.JPGDSCN5470.jpg

Ok i'll ask.What bent it?

A worn out front u-joint that broke out of its front yoke. This damage occurred while leaving a stop sign on a trip from AL to Sturgis. The drive shaft was never removed, cleaned, inspected, and lubed per the trikes maintenance schedule. His trike kit requires it be done every 24k, he was 170 miles over due. There is never anything wrong with doing maintenance early. Check out all the frame damage.

DSCN5420.jpgDSCN5414.jpgDSCN5472.jpgDSCN5473.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN5471.jpg
    DSCN5471.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 160
Greg,

Just curious so I have to ask: what's the plan for this machine considering all that frame damage?

Replace the frame etc and put it all back together? Or junk it for parts?

Tnx.

LJ

The Honda shop that he'd originally taken it to said nothing about it, just quoted him a price to pull the engine, replace the output shaft and the drive shaft.

Of the 4 cross members that hold the frame rails together in that area, one was destroyed, and another was cracked at its welds. The right frame rail was badly chewed up. There is little to no access to the area with an engine in.

I told him if he planned on riding it again, he had three choices. A good welder could possibly repair it (easier to do when the engine is out), replace the frame, or find something else to ride. He insisted that he had a friend who was an aluminum marine welder "who could weld it no problem."

I removed the engine, replaced the shafts, had him sign a waiver that he was well aware of the frame damage and that it should not be rode until the frame is repaired, and he trailered it home. I've since heard that he sold it. I have no idea if the frame was ever repaired.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png