water (oil) pump cover

jmhenrie

10+ Posts
Feb 2, 2016
omak, wa, usa
trailered my new trike home and the driver saw something fly off, we went back and found the cover for the water or oil pump sitting in the middle of the road. It has two hooks on top and two pins on bottom. we got home and reattached it. with about 400 miles on the trike I saw it just hanging by the hooks so I tried to kick the pins back into place the cover fell off, so I rode without it. would it be okay to put some silicon sealent on the pins and pushing back into place or is there a better solution.?

Its the cover behind the front tire down low on the frame

thanks

MIke Henire

If the dealer isnt that far from you i would have them replace it,if you cant make it there anytime soon silicon should hold it on until you can have it replaced under warranty.

I bought my TriGlide used with about 700 miles on it and noticed the cover was missing. The dealer ordered me a new one s part of the deal. I installed in after age part arrived and didn't like the way it fit, so I did the silicon seal as you suggested. 3000 mile after it is still there, but I have not trailered it. My dealership tells me that loading or unloading a trailer seems to knock these covers loose at the bottom frequently.

trailered my new trike home and the driver saw something fly off, we went back and found the cover for the water or oil pump sitting in the middle of the road. It has two hooks on top and two pins on bottom. we got home and reattached it. with about 400 miles on the trike I saw it just hanging by the hooks so I tried to kick the pins back into place the cover fell off, so I rode without it. would it be okay to put some silicon sealent on the pins and pushing back into place or is there a better solution.?

Its the cover behind the front tire down low on the frame

thanks

MIke Henire

Here is the fix

Twice I have taken my 2017 to the dealer for work and both times after I had returned home the cover fell off in the yard.

The problem is that they are not installing it properly.

There are rubber grommets that the pins go in and they usually pull out with the pins.

What happens is they stick the top hooks in and try to press the pins with grommets on them into the holes, they will stay there for a while until you hit a bump at low speed then the cover will fall off.

The fix is to remove the grommets from the pins and stick them in the holes first then push the pins in them, I have not have it fall off after that and intend to show the dealer the proper way to install the cover the next time I need to take it in.

Hope this helps

Bob

Take a dab of silicone grease, put it on the cover tips. That way the rubbers will not come off with the cover. And NO the cover will not fly off. If the rubbers are loose, replace them.

I bought my TriGlide used with about 700 miles on it and noticed the cover was missing. The dealer ordered me a new one s part of the deal. I installed in after age part arrived and didn't like the way it fit, so I did the silicon seal as you suggested. 3000 mile after it is still there, but I have not trailered it. My dealership tells me that loading or unloading a trailer seems to knock these covers loose at the bottom frequently.

If you hit the cover hard with the palm of your hand from the bottom, The cover will come off the top hooks, So i can see where if you bottom it going up a trailer ramp or hit some road debris it might come off.....

^^^^ Replaced mine with the chrome PLASTIC. Totally agree with rubber grommets and silicone advice above. 31k miles and has not fallen off.

Bob :Dorag:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png