What seat fits GL1800, CSC w/aux tank

Wanted to ask any GW CSC Cobra owners with aux tank, what seats will work??? I am looking into the Road Sofa specifically. I know some have a problem with the seat pan not clearing the aux tank. Anyone have this seat with the aux tank?? Any mods needed to be made? Thanks

Lectric, I have an 03 GL with a CSC kit + their aux tank. Am currently on a Diamond Custom seat. Wifey loves it on long hauls. Puts her to sleep. Me? I'd give it a 7-8 out of 10. But I have a seriously screwed up spine, so maybe it's not a fair appraisal.

I went with a Hartco Seat on mine. He did the seat on a stock Honda seat pan for me. Fits like stock, as it should. Pick up another seat to use as a donor pan. And yes I have the aux, gas tank. Very happy, and it's a custom made seat to your specs. ;) Tom :)

The prior owner tried a seat. Don't remember which one and the pan was made in a way that it hit the aux tank and would not install correctly. He said he called the manufacturer and they recommended cutting out that portion of the seat pan. He sold the seat. I bought a Saddleman road sofa from fleabay, very good price, $620. When it gets here we will see if it fits. Thanks all!!!! here's the link to the seat if anyone is interested. Goldwing 1800 GL1800 GL 1800 Road Sofa Gel Seat: eBay Motors (item 390206191211 end time Nov-04-10 09:30:57 PDT)

Last edited:
The aux. tank does not in any any way effect the seat.

That in a sense True: however the modifications under the seat that have to be done for the tank are the problem. The relays are removed from the original location ( where Honda placed them so that the seat would fit properly ) and repositioned off to the left side near the frame ( loosely to I may add ) Which means that even the stock seat has to be Forced into position ( as if it isn't already hard to get right easily ) Having done one or two ( a few ) the biggest problem has been the seat replacement, and the owners eventually call and ask; What the heck is the secret to replacing the seat,,,,,,:confused: :mad:

That in a sense True: however the modifications under the seat that have to be done for the tank are the problem. The relays are removed from the original location ( where Honda placed them so that the seat would fit properly ) and repositioned off to the left side near the frame ( loosely to I may add ) Which means that even the stock seat has to be Forced into position ( as if it isn't already hard to get right easily ) Having done one or two ( a few ) the biggest problem has been the seat replacement, and the owners eventually call and ask; What the heck is the secret to replacing the seat,,,,,,:confused: :mad:

I had a seat off an`08 GL1800 the other day installing a Kuryakyn fold down drivers backrest. The chrome side brackets are separate from the backrest support and want to spring outward so its a real PITA to hold both sides in place, thread the bolts though them, the grab handles and seat bolt holes while simultaneously forcing the seat both forward and down and hold everything just right until the bolt threads catch, which rarely happens on the first through tenth try...

So the question...what do you tell your customers the secrete is?

Correct, they did move the relays, to the side on my trike, but it did not effect the seat. Don't know if they found the magical spot or what, but my seat is just as hard to put on as it was before I triked the bike.

I didn't think about some of the after market seats having a lower pan. Not sure why they would do it, but I stand corrected. I guess one should ask the seat maker about it before ordering one of those golden eggs.

My solution was to go with Bike Solutions http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/ modification. Had mine done in 2002, and after a 100,000 plus miles on the seat, it is as good as day one. Best bang for your buck in my opinion.

I had a seat off an`08 GL1800 the other day installing a Kuryakyn fold down drivers backrest. The chrome side brackets are separate from the backrest support and want to spring outward so its a real PITA to hold both of them in place, thread the screws though them and the grab handles, simultaneously force the seat both forward and down and hold everything just right until the bolt threads catch, which rarely happens on the first through tenth try.

So the question...what do you tell you customers the secrete is?

Find a fat friend or girlfriend to sit on it while you get it on,,,,:blush:
I had to get a large fellow to help me do two of the ones I did ;)

All good info!!! The PO told me he tried an Ultimate and a Corbin. Neither would fit. When I get my new Road sofa I will carefully check the relay location. Also beveling the bolts really helps in getting them started. Just be sure you check the bolts in the threads before installing the seat, to make sure the threads are ok. It may be a week or two before I get to the seat job. But I will post my findings. Thanks All

I had trouble with a Travelcade seat years ago.
It was on my 1500.
Both myself and wife felt it to be very hard, more so for my wife.
We attended a rally that Travelcade was at and ask them what could be done to soften it.
He told me to put a tool box on the passenger seat when she wasn't riding on it and that would soften it up.
I'm not going to print what my wife told him.
Upon getting home, I sold the seat and went back to the stock one.

Hello again. I took the gamble and bought a Saddlemen Road Sofa, with the gel, backrest for driver and cover for passenger. $620 to my door from Ebay, $770 at Saddlemen site without shipping etc... Went on like a glove!!! Have not changed the passenger backrest cover, that will come later. They must have improved things as this one fit better than the one on my 2001 GL1800A. Now to break it in!!! Thanks for all the tips. here's a link to the seat in case someone is interested Goldwing 1800 GL1800 GL 1800 Road Sofa Gel Seat: eBay Motors (item 390206191211 end time Dec-04-10 08:30:57 PST)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png