Second cooling fan issue.

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
Back around June the right factory cooling fan would work sometimes and sometimes not so i had the dealer install a new one under warranty.So yep back again after Daytona For another right cooling fan.I have had this bike in for more warranty work than any HD I have had.And before ya say never buy the first year motor change the engine has been flawless,its all the electrical crap that is the problem.

Back around June the right factory cooling fan would work sometimes and sometimes not so i had the dealer install a new one under warranty.So yep back again after Daytona For another right cooling fan.I have had this bike in for more warranty work than any HD I have had.And before ya say never buy the first year motor change the engine has been flawless,its all the electrical crap that is the problem.

I am sorry but NOT surprised to see this happening

My 17 so far with 14k miles has had NO electrical issues yet BUT I do c some comming

I guess the reason I say this is the can bus electrical system now employed is run on such low voltage I think HD did not do ALL the home work like the car industry has

I hope I am wrong time will bare this out

Good Luck and keep posting on your fixes so we ALL can learn

2014 with 31k+ miles. Recalls for clutch and brake system issues. Warranty = 1 cooling fan replaced, 1 parking brake cracked paul replaced. Otherwise just normal oil changes and adjustments.

ALL high tech in vehicles is subject to failure, being outdated in time, and made obsolete with new tech.

My tech changes in my life AM > AM/FM > 8-track > Cassette > CD > USB / Magneto > points and condensor > Computer control.

Problem is .... nobody builds stuff to last any more .... cheap China junk.

Bob :Dorag:

I had a slight issue with one of my fan's not work too. But it only happened one time. I think it was the right side. It hasn't happened again though.

Problem is .... nobody builds stuff to last any more .... cheap China junk.

Don't know about that......Cars nowadays are built to last, Think back to the cars of the past, You had to be a handy man/ mechanic to keep them running more than two years.

The Big 3 car companies made junk AKA Planned Obsolescence.......And it worked well till they ran out of WW2 and Korean Vets who would ''Only buy American so it paid to sell junk..

Then the Japanese came into the market and cleaned their clocks...

Don't know about that......Cars nowadays are built to last, Think back to the cars of the past, You had to be a handy man/ mechanic to keep them running more than two years.

The Big 3 car companies made junk AKA Planned Obsolescence.......And it worked well till they ran out of WW2 and Korean Vets who would ''Only buy American so it paid to sell junk..

While I was still on the job (firefighter). We had a lot of car and truck fires. Mostly Fords. Ford had all their wiring harnesses made in Mexico. Hence there lies the problem. Actually, a lot of car makers had the wiring made in Mexico. But Ford was the worst. Just saying. If you look at some of the parts on Harley's , there made else wear.

Japan, China, Mexico. It's all about money.

YES! We have a 2008 Prius with 140k and it has only needed oil changes / air filters / wiper blades / tires / 1 battery. No other maintenance. Still has original mini brake pads. All electrical items work fine.

I kind of enjoyed replacing points and condensor and adjusting the timing with a timing light way back! Spark plugs were easy to get to!! LOL I guess I will always be "old school". :D

1971 XLCH 12-07-1971.jpg

When you think about all the new tech on current bikes, it is amazing it all fits. What is more amazing is the tremendous vibration, elements (rain, snow, ice, dirt, sand, etc.) it is subjected to.

Just one of many examples....controls for cruise, blinkers, etc. are out of the elements in a car...they get pounded by the elements on a motorcycle.

When working on a HD I am constantly amazed by how much all fits into the small spaces (think about ABS on the 2 wheel bikes) they have to work with...then on top of that how, most of the time, it all keeps working, even when being abused by riding on roads like they have in the Yukon Territories....

ToWL28_zps8a0544bd.jpg

...or The Haul Road.

ToAC7_zps8ec0c7fb.jpg

Yeah, some of the stuff is less than ideal design (reverse motor), but in general, it all works very well 99.9% of the time.

For the times it doesn't, that is whey on these new bikes with all the expensive electrical components, I have a warranty/ESP.

Kevin

YES! We have a 2008 Prius with 140k and it has only needed oil changes / air filters / wiper blades / tires / 1 battery. No other maintenance. Still has original mini brake pads. All electrical items work fine.

I kind of enjoyed replacing points and condensor and adjusting the timing with a timing light way back! Spark plugs were easy to get to!! LOL I guess I will always be "old school". :D

View attachment 50030

Its been so long since i use a timing light, I don't even own one any more, Except one that i made back in the 70's to set the timing on my dune buggy and bugs. I still use it as a circuit tester......

Expect more from Mexico

This is where most of the Delphi parts on our bikes comes from

The TBW on HD bikes is 1 of them

My 15 went down with less than 5 k miles

It is a CHEESIE design IMO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png