Long Term Storage Tips

Jul 13, 2011
Cville, IN / Leesburg, FL
I have done searches on the forum and my PDF viewer of the factory manual with no results - maybe I'm not using best Keywords - but I thought "Winter Storage" and "Long Term Storage" would yield something.

So, what kind of recommendations for long term storage do people have? My trike will be stored in a closed & unheated garage (attached though, will get down to 35 degrees.) from mid-October through March. Indiana winters. NooB snowbird to FL.

1. Change oil

2. Wash & wax

3. Trike cover

4. Battery Tender

5. Gas Stabilizer/Full Tank of gas

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

TIA

Start it monthly and bring it up to temp b4 shutting down. Lubes top of motor and moves/relocates valve springs. Also blows the muffler mice 🐁 out :Shrug:

When i would put my Two wheelers away for the winter, November to March.....In the back of my garage attached but not heated..... All i would do is ; Sta-Bil or Sea-Foam in the gas tank....And the tank filled right to the top...So less chance of condensation, Battery tender plugged in....And cover the bike with an old fitted sheet....

I don't change the oil,Dont wax the bike, And never start it up though the winter....Thats been my ritual for as long as i can remember and never had a problem in the spring..Like my old man would say..Keep it simple son...:D...I try not to over think things...

Moth balls & Dryer Sheets in all compartments & Cubbies,including the gas door. Anything with a strong odor. You'll smell like a botanical garden going down the road next spring, but it will keep the varmints out !

:cool:

This! ^^^^^^^ Mice are NOTORIOUS for crawling into the nooks & crannies, eating wires and building nests on top of the engine and in the air cleaner box. I'm a big fan of drier sheets in the air intake tubes (if applicable), in the muffler openings, stuffed in the side of the engine, etc. I'm also a big fan of putting a few moth balls on the floor (or on a surface) around the bike & under. Never had a single rodent issue with my bike and we KNOW we have them in our farm shop where my bikes were kept.

Once you enter it into storage do not start it! Worst move possible. Let her be.

Also:

1. Tire pressure correct.

2. Put on centerstand & chock front wheel

3. Trans in neutral

4. Personally, for long term storage I would remove battery and put on Battery Tender so there is absolutely no way a short could cause problems. Rodents chewing on wires could short out battery and cause fire.

I have done searches on the forum and my PDF viewer of the factory manual with no results - maybe I'm not using best Keywords - but I thought "Winter Storage" and "Long Term Storage" would yield something.

So, what kind of recommendations for long term storage do people have? My trike will be stored in a closed & unheated garage (attached though, will get down to 35 degrees.) from mid-October through March. Indiana winters. NooB snowbird to FL.

1. Change oil

2. Wash & wax

3. Trike cover

4. Battery Tender

5. Gas Stabilizer/Full Tank of gas

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

TIA

I would add topping off the air pressure in your tires.

As others have stated-do not start unless you are going for a ride.

Have a safe trip to Florida. Route 75 is a "Bummer":(

Long Tern Storage

WE store our Goldwing for the winter (Maine) pretty much do all the aforementioned but also have a cheap blue tarp under the trip. Keeps all the moisture from coming thru the cement and collecting on the Trike. I use a combo of dryer sheets and use charcoal briquettes on the floor. NO mice problems to date; and also use those same precautions on our antique car that is stored all winter. Best wishes. H..

Moth balls & Dryer Sheets in all compartments & Cubbies,including the gas door. Anything with a strong odor. You'll smell like a botanical garden going down the road next spring, but it will keep the varmints out !

:cool:

I have a silly question here:

Although I also put moth ball in and around bike during the winter..... How about all summer long when we are riding our machines, why can't mice get into the bike(s) during the summer as well??

I have a silly question here:

Although I also put moth ball in and around bike during the winter..... How about all summer long when we are riding our machines, why can't mice get into the bike(s) during the summer as well??

Rats look for a confined space to nest and keep warm. The summer months it’s already warm, then they look for A/C :Shrug:

I would follow Honda’s storage tips as outlined in an Owner’s Manual paying extra attention to the fact that there is no recommendation of starting it, putting the battery on a tender, or an additive in the fuel.

Owner’s Manual > index > storage > long term

Unfortunately, below is an example of why.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/44478-Sticking-valves-in-head

Along with most of the tips above, I do all but I always wax the bike up, especially the *real chrome areas*... hate too see rust spots on my bike...in the spring....;)

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png