Getting diagnostic codes from 2001 gl 1800 trike

turboman1354

Reaction score
My F1 light came on for the first time last week. Trike seems to be running ok but I have lost a little bit of gas mileage. I’ve reset ecm. How do we get the codes since we don’t have a side stand? Tks for any help in advance

‘01 – ‘03:

Make sure the kill switch is 'on', then:

To read the ECM memory of problem data, perform

the following:

- Remove the seat- Short the service check connector terminals with a jumper wire.

- Turn the ignition switch to “ ON.”

- If the ECM has no problem data in its memory, the MIL will come on and stay on.

- If the ECM has problem data in its memory, the MIL will start blinking.

- Read and record how many times the MIL blinks.

Long blinks have a value of 10, and short blinks have a value or 1. So, 2 longs and 6 shorts add up to 26 (10+10+1+1+1+1+1+1=26).

Since there can be several stored codes, I find it best to have pen and paper in hand. Between each code is a long pause. You can turn off the key at any time to start the sequence again. It's important to know which code flashes first and second, and so forth.

CEF9AABE-.jpg

Unfortunately Honda's picture is incorrect. The Service Connector port is a female and not a male. I believe it is red in color.

Another way is to move the kick stand switch into the down position, but this way is probably easier since for any diagnosis the seat will need to come off anyway.

Tks Greg

Well so much for it running ok. Every thing went south big time. All I could do to get home from 30 miles. I can’t think of any one or two sensors that could make it as bad as it did. I think she has given up the ghost (ECM). I hope I’m wrong but it’s what I’m thinking. I really have money for new ECM I hope I might find low mileage ECM. MIne is 2001 so if anyone knows where their is one I sure would appreciate it. Tks Greg. If you have anything I can check that might cause complete loss of power no idle and gas mileage doubling tks.

If you have anything I can check that might cause complete loss of power no idle and gas mileage doubling tks.

Your ECM is probably failing. ECMs are like any part, they only last so long, and many of the 2001-03 are failing ... it's an age thing, not mileage. However, condemning an ECM is foolish without first doing so simple tests. So start by follow the steps in post #2, and report back what codes are stored.

As for used ones, unless you have money to gamble, buying a used one can be an expensive lesson. I recently repaired one that had code 26 when he pulled into a Honda dealer. Their fix was to install a used ECM. When he got to me, less then 1000 miles later, he had code 25. Both code 26 and 25 are left and right knock sensors circuits, respectfully. They represent the most common circuits to fail in the older ECMs.

Here is what happened. To correct code 26, they installed a used ECM that had a failing code 25 circuit. So he left with a great running Wing, only to have the exact same poor running conditions later down the road. To correct his issue, I installed a new ECM. Basically he got screwed the first time and ended up paying a lot of money twice.

I am constantly amazed by the wealth of information and knowledge that folks have on this site. That is what makes Trike Talk such a great source for the Trike rider. I have never experienced this specific problem, but if I did it is nice to know that someone who reads these posts will probably know the answer.

I am constantly amazed by the wealth of information and knowledge that folks have on this site. That is what makes Trike Talk such a great source for the Trike rider. I have never experienced this specific problem, but if I did it is nice to know that someone who reads these posts will probably know the answer.

And maybe one of us will remember.:Shrug:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png