New rider question and opinions

Good day all. I am a 47 year old able bodied male. Just took the MSF course...did great, loved it! I have test rode a few Harleys (Dynas mostly). I also spent some time on the Freewheeler and had an absolute ball on it! So really want some opinions and comments from some of you experienced 3 wheelers. Since I don't have all the 2 wheel habits to break, what are your thoughts of starting out on a Freewheeler?

thanks..

I do not see any downside. I think it is entirely your choice. I am a former MSF / Rider's Edge coach but gave it up a few years ago as scheduling was conflicting with my riding time, lol. I have heard, read and been told that it is easier to learn to ride a trike if you do not have to 'unlearn' habits from riding two-wheelers.

With that being said I just last month got a trike after riding on two wheels for over fifty years. And truthfully after about just a few miles I was pretty comfortable and now have almost 1,000 miles on the trike and have had no problem adjusting.

In my opinion for a new rider the trike would be more 'forgiving' in that you don't have to be concerned about balancing at stops and very slow speeds and stop and go traffic. Depending on how large a two-wheeler you prefer to ride would make a big difference. Large heavy cruisers and touring bikes are easy to ride at speed but can be a real handful when stopping on less than smooth pavement and at slow speed and turning at slow speed.

Don't know if any of this helps but good luck and ride safe whatever your choice.

Welcome to Trike Talk.

I love my Freewheeler, it's so much fun to ride. I started riding as a teenager, bought my trike when I was 66 so I had lots of unlearning to do. I was so used to leaning that I had to break that habit and get a grip on steering. I had been riding staggered so I had a habit of keeping my front tire too far to the left or too far to the right, had to stop that.

I went from a Road King to the trike and have not regretted my decision for one second. Go for it.

Ride sharp, ride smart.:Dorag:

Good day all. I am a 47 year old able bodied male. Just took the MSF course...did great, loved it! I have test rode a few Harleys (Dynas mostly). I also spent some time on the Freewheeler and had an absolute ball on it! So really want some opinions and comments from some of you experienced 3 wheelers. Since I don't have all the 2 wheel habits to break, what are your thoughts of starting out on a Freewheeler?

thanks..

Welcome to Trike-Talk, Jerry......:wave4:..47 and able bodied, You shouldn't have any problems on a Freewheeler or any Trike.. One thing to remember all bikes and trikes are invisible to most car drivers, So you have to drive defensively[And not lose your temper not if , But when someone cuts you off..] .....Other than that have fun out there.....

And again ;Welcome to Trike-Talk.....:clapping:

Hey Dude!

Last year during August wife and I bought a 2016 new at the time triglide...we had never ridden on a motorcycle and I certainly didnt know how to drive one......had to have it delivered to home because I didnt have knowledge or license. Taught myself how to drive it and completed the same driver course as you, then got my license.

Now, a little over a year later wife and I have racked up nearly 15K miles on trike and having an absolute blast of fun! ....best (and most risky) decision I ever made! Great to ride solo as well. Now, I mention all this because I knew nothing about what improvements to make or should make......Have spent a fortune tweaking the trike with goodies from the harley dealers to get trike to look the way I wanted!

There are 3 things that I believe are "MANDATORY IMPROVEMENTS"......GET some more pipes and exhaust system! (the boys at any Harley dealer know what you need and its pricey too) the trike will have 25% more power and run so much cooler than stock!.....Next,drop air pressure in rear wheels to improve ride comfort.......Of course, I cant officially recommend it as the manual will state to maintain 26 lbs air pressure in rears and 36 lbs in front wheel.............but most I know on trikes (not everyone) drops rear tire pressure to 22-24 Lbs......I like 22 myself.

Leave the front tires at 36 lbs as stated in manual. Every 1 lb or air pressure in rear tires will effect your ride comfort greatly on this 3 wheeler........play with it and see what you like! ...You'll need some heat shields for your seat to lower engine heat on your crotch as I don't think free wheelers have them as standard.......And finally = Get lift kit installed! (these are 2 metal plates attached to the shocks and frame) you can order them from Amazon and is simple installation (it will raise your trikes rear end appx 1 1/2" and prevent tail pipe dragging on road dips AND will increase ride comfort and handling)

Anyway, if you arent comfortable doing these things yourself then just bring your checkbook to Harley Dealer and "They'll fix you rght up!" ......You may know some or all of this info already but, this is just my 2 cents as I was where I think you are a year ago! Ride safe!

Hey Dude!

Last year during August wife and I bought a 2016 new at the time triglide...we had never ridden on a motorcycle and I certainly didnt know how to drive one......had to have it delivered to home because I didnt have knowledge or license. Taught myself how to drive it and completed the same driver course as you, then got my license. Now, a little over a year later wife and I have racked up nearly 15K miles on trike and having an absolute blast of fun! ....best (and most risky) decision I ever made! Great to ride solo as well. Now, I mention all this because I knew nothing about what improvements to make or should make......Have spent a fortune tweaking the trike with goodies from the harley dealers to get trike to look the way I wanted! There are 3 things that I believe are "MANDATORY IMPROVEMENTS"......GET some more pipes and exhaust system! (the boys at any Harley dealer know what you need and its pricey too) the trike will have 25% more power and run so much cooler than stock!.....Next,drop air pressure in rear wheels to improve ride comfort.......Of course, I cant officially recommend it as the manual will state to maintain 26 lbs air pressure in rears and 36 lbs in front wheel.............but most I know on trikes (not everyone) drops rear tire pressure to 22-24 Lbs......I like 22 myself. Leave the front tires at 36 lbs as stated in manual. Every 1 lb or air pressure in rear tires will effect your ride comfort greatly on this 3 wheeler........play with it and see what you like! ...You'll need some heat shields for your seat to lower engine heat on your crotch as I don't think free wheelers have them as standard.......And finally = Get lift kit installed! (these are 2 metal plates attached to the shocks and frame) you can order them from Amazon and is simple installation (it will raise your trikes rear end appx 1 1/2" and prevent tail pipe dragging on road dips AND will increase ride comfort and handling) Anyway, if you arent comfortable doing these things yourself then just bring your checkbook to Harley Dealer and "They'll fix you rght up!" ......You may know some or all of this info already but, this is just my 2 cents as I was where I think you are a year ago! Ride safe!

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed information. This is great and will start the checklist. You have a very similar experience and situation that I have...really appreciate the share and info!

Welcome to Trike-Talk, Jerry......:wave4:..47 and able bodied, You shouldn't have any problems on a Freewheeler or any Trike.. One thing to remember all bikes and trikes are invisible to most car drivers, So you have to drive defensively[And not lose your temper not if , But when someone cuts you off..] .....Other than that have fun out there.....

And again ;Welcome to Trike-Talk.....:clapping:

thanks so much for the reply and welcome! I hear ya on the defensive part. I have been a cyclist my whole life...so I get it. I know it is different, but I think the mindset is the same (I hope :) )

Welcome to Trike Talk.

I love my Freewheeler, it's so much fun to ride. I started riding as a teenager, bought my trike when I was 66 so I had lots of unlearning to do. I was so used to leaning that I had to break that habit and get a grip on steering. I had been riding staggered so I had a habit of keeping my front tire too far to the left or too far to the right, had to stop that.

Ride sharp, ride smart.:Dorag:

I went from a Road King to the trike and have not regretted my decision for one second. Go for it.

Yeah, I was looking at the Road King too. I am really leaning towards the Trike though (no pun intended LOL). Thanks for the reply and help.

I do not see any downside. I think it is entirely your choice. I am a former MSF / Rider's Edge coach but gave it up a few years ago as scheduling was conflicting with my riding time, lol. I have heard, read and been told that it is easier to learn to ride a trike if you do not have to 'unlearn' habits from riding two-wheelers.

With that being said I just last month got a trike after riding on two wheels for over fifty years. And truthfully after about just a few miles I was pretty comfortable and now have almost 1,000 miles on the trike and have had no problem adjusting.

In my opinion for a new rider the trike would be more 'forgiving' in that you don't have to be concerned about balancing at stops and very slow speeds and stop and go traffic. Depending on how large a two-wheeler you prefer to ride would make a big difference. Large heavy cruisers and touring bikes are easy to ride at speed but can be a real handful when stopping on less than smooth pavement and at slow speed and turning at slow speed.

Don't know if any of this helps but good luck and ride safe whatever your choice.

It helps a great deal! Thank you so much for the information and shared experience. I am looking at both Freewheeler and TriGlide. Not sure which one yet, but it feels like a $ decision really. But I am getting that if you go with something less expensive, you eventually add it up with work later on.

This is my second Freewheeler

I dunno why I waited so long

Riding is much funner now

I dont worry about balance or tipping over

Ride it like you stole it

Modify it to suit your needs

Shop around for parts

Try Boardtracker HD for parts

Free shipping, no tax and cheaper prices than any other dealer The Free shipping is 4 99 dollars or more

Best money I spent

See D K Customs on Trike Talk for after market parts tried and trued Ride safe and smart

Hi Jerry

Welcome :wave4:. I'm 49 years old and took the MSF course three years ago to get my license. I had a small, starter two wheeler but never really got comfortable with it. My husband suggested I try a trike. I was reluctant but as soon as I rode it I knew it was the right choice for me. I didn't have to unlearn much and I was having so much more fun.

The people here are great :clapping:. So helpful and willing to answer questions. One tip I learned was to be careful and remember how wide the back end is. It's very easy to forget and pull in too close to a gas pump clipping the bollards and ruining your fenders. Sit on your trike and reach your arms straight out to the side, shoulder level and that is about how wide the back end is.

Good luck with your decision. Ride Safe.

Welcome :wave4:. I'm 49 years old and took the MSF course three years ago to get my license. I had a small, starter two wheeler but never really got comfortable with it. My husband suggested I try a trike. I was reluctant but as soon as I rode it I knew it was the right choice for me. I didn't have to unlearn much and I was having so much more fun.

The people here are great :clapping:. So helpful and willing to answer questions. One tip I learned was to be careful and remember how wide the back end is. It's very easy to forget and pull in too close to a gas pump clipping the bollards and ruining your fenders. Sit on your trike and reach your arms straight out to the side, shoulder level and that is about how wide the back end is.

Good luck with your decision. Ride Safe.

Thanks so much. Great tips on width. I did get some time on one this past week and had a great time. I have so little time on a 2 wheeler, I didn't have to break any habits..etc. It was funny as the Harley shop guys kept telling me to not put my feet down...which was easy :)

thanks for sharing!

This is my second Freewheeler

I dunno why I waited so long

Riding is much funner now

I dont worry about balance or tipping over

Ride it like you stole it

Modify it to suit your needs

Shop around for parts

Try Boardtracker HD for parts

Free shipping, no tax and cheaper prices than any other dealer The Free shipping is 4 99 dollars or more

Best money I spent

See D K Customs on Trike Talk for after market parts tried and trued Ride safe and smart

Thanks...great suggestions on custom work. I will check it out. I know exactly what you mean regarding wishing you did it sooner. That is one of the reasons I am working to make a decision now and move forward.

thanks for sharing!

Oh ... and slow down in rain, or when encountering after rain road water, ...

... as a trike will hydroplane in rear easier with their usually fatter tires and their light weight.
Something I didn't see mentioned but might have missed it. Never ever put your feet on the ground while moving. Been there, done that, 8 weeks out with a buggered up ankle.

The rear wheel will roll over it.
Absolutely!

Near that same line .... had an older friend once start their trike with clutch pulled in while standing alongside, let clutch out ... away went trike dragging friend, OUCH!

The friend survived, but still hobbles some when walking.

If you think it's a shortcut, think at least once again .....

Oh ... and slow down in rain, or when encountering after rain road water, ...

... as a trike will hydroplane in rear easier with their usually fatter tires and their light weight.Absolutely!

Near that same line .... had an older friend once start their trike with clutch pulled in while standing alongside, let clutch out ... away went trike dragging friend, OUCH!

The friend survived, but still hobbles some when walking.

If you think it's a shortcut, think at least once again .....

Just curious...but why would he do that? Engage the clutch while off the bike?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png