Mad as a Jap

Nov 22, 2016
groesbeck texas usa
:censored:Remember I had mentioned a couple months ago about the front motor mount backing out and I had Harley fix it. Well guess what? It happened again only this time taking a chunk of head with it. Harley is coming after it next week and I'll go see what the "manager" has to say. Might even see what kind of deal we can come up with on a trade in for a new one. :Crap:

:censored:Remember I had mentioned a couple months ago about the front motor mount backing out and I had Harley fix it. Well guess what? It happened again only this time taking a chunk of head with it. Harley is coming after it next week and I'll go see what the "manager" has to say. Might even see what kind of deal we can come up with on a trade in for a new one. :Crap:

I had them come loose more times than i could count on my 11T/G....

If you do get a 17/18....Harley recommends checking them every 5k....

Even though they are a little different design, So they know the problem...

That sucks. They will fix it, or you might get a good trade...but being without it, while in process, is no fun.

Whether they "fix it" or you get a new one.

Take the bolts out, get some American made Grade 8 replacements, get some NEW lock washers and reinstall with red thread locker or teflon tape.

A good lock-washer, that really bites, seems to be the key to keeping them in place with no further issues.

Kevin

Exact same thing happened to me. First one was while I was on vacation in Virginia, dealer put new bolt in after waiting for the engine to cool down. Second time bracket broke off - Harley wouldn't replace the heads so the dealer sent it out to a machine shop to get fixed.

That sucks. They will fix it, or you might get a good trade...but being without it, while in process, is no fun.

Whether they "fix it" or you get a new one.

Take the bolts out, get some American made Grade 8 replacements, get some NEW lock washers and reinstall with red thread locker or teflon tape.

A good lock-washer, that really bites, seems to be the key to keeping them in place with no further issues.

Kevin

If you don't care to ever remove them , I didn't....#8 ''full'' thread bolts and #268 stick loc-tite.....And after that i put 12 k on the Trike when i traded it in...And they never loosened..

Sounds like a great marketing strategy on H-D's part.:cool:

Fixed the motor mount bolt problem. Neither HD not the warranty company would stand behind the work and I told them hell would freeze over before I bought a head. Just so happened they had a 2016 with 10k on the clock, it's now in my shop. But I think I'am going to change the bolts out like Kevin and every body says. It's the 103 high out put with the liquid cooled heads but I haven't seen and oil cooler on it. Suggestions?

Fixed the motor mount bolt problem. Neither HD not the warranty company would stand behind the work and I told them hell would freeze over before I bought a head. Just so happened they had a 2016 with 10k on the clock, it's now in my shop. But I think I'am going to change the bolts out like Kevin and every body says. It's the 103 high out put with the liquid cooled heads but I haven't seen and oil cooler on it. Suggestions?

If you are going to change the bolts....What i did was get two #8 bolts 'Full thread and add #268 stick loc-Tite, Tighten them up and let it cure over night....ThumbUp

Rhino, done bought the full thread grade 8 bolts and a 5 gallon bucket of Locktite high temp red. Thought I had the lock washers, wrong. Plus I'm waiting for the night time temps to get out of the low 30's so it will cure right.

Rhino, done bought the full thread grade 8 bolts and a 5 gallon bucket of Locktite high temp red. Thought I had the lock washers, wrong. Plus I'm waiting for the night time temps to get out of the low 30's so it will cure right.

ThumbUpThumbUp......That should end the problem , It did for me...:clapping:

Oil Cooler

Congrats on the 2016! DK Customs has an oil cooler for trikes.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png