Freewheeler front tire/replacement recommendations

MDO

Oct 11, 2017
St. Louis, MO USA
This ? is for Freewheeler owners wo have already replaced the front tire.

On my 2017, I have only 4,300 miles, mainly highway, but am seeing the wear on the OEM Dunlop.

I run air pressure by the book at 36psi front & 26psi rear. I am considering dropping the front to 34psi as it seems like it's wearing in the middle part of the tread.

I am mainly looking for long life, as handling really isn't an issue on 3 wheels.

So, what brand/model have you used on the front & how's it working out?

Also, if anyone has data on the rear tires, i.e. how long did the OEM Dunlop's last & what you used for replacements, that would be great for future reference. So far, I am happy with the rear tires, but looking at the price for replacements, I'm sure their are options worth discussing.

Thanks for your comments.

I changed my front tire at @ 16k to the Michelin Commander II. So far it is wearing nicely. Too soon to tell if it will last longer or not. It handles my style of riding (I like going through the twisties with out slowing down much at all).

I changed my front tire at @ 16k to the Michelin Commander II. So far it is wearing nicely. Too soon to tell if it will last longer or not. It handles my style of riding (I like going through the twisties with out slowing down much at all).

Thanks for the input Keystone. The Michelin is on my short list. Just curious, what pressure do you run it at?

Michael, your rear tires are nothing more than T rated passenger car radials

You can buy them anywhere cheaper than HD

Toyota Camry's used to run your size tire

You will have to carry them in to have them mounted

Most shops do not want to take the liabilty of mounting a non motorcycle tire

This is laughable IMO a T rating is a Speed Rating

I have 14K on my stock front tire with even ear, I do run it 2 lbs lower for even wear, it will go 16K miles easily, then I will get a tire

https://www.jakewilson.com/t/1742/M...MI_paz57yR1wIVgoZpCh1gGwf2EAAYASAAEgKIrfD_BwE

Michael, your rear tires are nothing more than T rated passenger car radials

You can buy them anywhere cheaper than HD

Toyota Camry's used to run your size tire

You will have to carry them in to have them mounted

Most shops do not want to take the liabilty of mounting a non motorcycle tire

This is laughable IMO a T rating is a Speed Rating

I have 14K on my stock front tire with even ear, I do run it 2 lbs lower for even wear, it will go 16K miles easily, then I will get a tire

Thanks Jack. I looked at the rears also & saw no reason to pay the asking price for the stock Dunlop Sig​natures that came on there. They look like they will be on there awhile.

I had good weather yesterday & went about 110 miles just for fun & when arriving home, that's when I took a good look at the front OEM Dunlop & it just seemed a little overinflated at 36psi. when I check them cold I will drop it 2PSI.

Are you leaning toward any particular Mfg. replacement for the front?

When you look for a front tire you will find there isn't much available thanks to the size 19 tire. I am going to try Pirelli Night Dragon next month.

When you look for a front tire you will find there isn't much available thanks to the size 19 tire. I am going to try Pirelli Night Dragon next month.

Dunlop

Avon

Pirelli

Metzeler

Michelin

What more could you need. If you shop, you can find them all for $110-125

About one tire per brand will work on the stock rim. Minor whine from me. Harley keeps changing wheel sizes every year and takes manufactures forever to catch up. Would love to put a Avon Venom trike tire on, but only two sizes are available, Tri Glide and Goldwing

About one tire per brand will work on the stock rim. Minor whine from me. Harley keeps changing wheel sizes every year and takes manufactures forever to catch up. Would love to put a Avon Venom trike tire on, but only two sizes are available, Tri Glide and Goldwing

Check out the Avon AV71 Cobra

It's very similar to the dedicated trike only front tire.

After doing some reading on the mileage that riders are reporting getting with the Michelin Commander II, I have moved it to the top of my list. The reviews are truly impressive.

Due to be bored in the rain, I decided to revive/update my own 18 month old thread.:D

I settled on the Avon Cobra Chrome(AV91) front tire for my Freewheeler. It also has a $20 rebate(for 1, $60 for 2)

you can submit online. I believe it's good till 8/19. I received it a few days back & it looks awesome!

As far as getting the front tire mounted & balanced, I have done some research in my area & have a couple options.

I got my new Avon tire from Cycle Gear, which we only have 1 locally.

If I carry the wheel in, they will mount & balance for $25.

All shops in my area, both HD dealers & Indy, are charging $60 for tires bought elsewhere.

My local HD dealer, Doc's HD will also give me a 10% Veterans discount

If bought from them, a few will do it for $50.

Is everyone else finding the same prices...

I went to Cycle Gear to order a few things & talk to them about mounting & balancing my new Avon front tire & they do a lot of tires. They had done 3 before noon & told me then never have any trouble or damage wheels. They don't need an appointment & will get it done within 24 hours, but usually quicker.

The quality of work looked great, so I may give it a try. $25 is hard to beat.

I wanted to give Cycle Gear a shout out for excellent customer service.

I mentioned to them that I ordered my new Avon front tire online & did not see a way to request my 10% Veterans discount & they said "just let us know" & they refunded me $13.50.

With the $20 rebate, my final tire cost will be just over $100. :cool:

Due to be bored in the rain, I decided to revive/update my own 18 month old thread.:D

I settled on the Avon Cobra Chrome(AV91) front tire for my Freewheeler. It also has a $20 rebate(for 1, $60 for 2)

you can submit online. I believe it's good till 8/19. I received it a few days back & it looks awesome!

Is there a trike specific tire in a 19"?

Reactions: MDO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png