2015 HD Tri-Glide Master clutch cylinder and clutch plates and reverse issue

Dec 27, 2016
SAN DIEGO, CA, USA
2015 HD Tri-Glide Master clutch cylinder and clutch plates and reverse issue

Advise please - about a year ago while riding on the freeway, 70-75 mph, my RPMs started jumping and I was loosing power. Took trike into the HD dealer for repair. They replaced the mater clutch cylinder and clutch plates.

Same problem again a couple weeks ago, but not as bad. This time replaced JUST the clutch plates, they say with Scream's Eagle clutch plates but that isn't what the invoice says, I need to check out the PN. While riding home, once in 6th the bike just didn't sound right; like it was working too hard, same in 5th. Continue home with cruise on, 70-75 mph, jump in RPMs again, twice, kicked off the cruise. Then ran fine but cruise wouldn't reset. Had to turn cruise off/on to reset. Rode immediately back to the dealer, waiting on them to look at it again.

Additional issue, maybe related....SOMETIMES when I use reverse then put in 1st, the bike does not want to go, the gear is fighting. Sometimes I can put back in reverse then 1st and it will go fine, sometimes not. This past time I had the RPM jump clutch issue, it was after the reverse/1st issue. The HD dealer can not recreate the reverse/1st issue so they can not fix.

Also, BOTH times I had the RPM jump loss of power I was in cruise mode. So so long I want to give you all the info. I have been riding trikes for 10 years, over 50k miles, so not rider error. Thanks for any info.

Welcome to Trike-Talk, Pam....:wave4:I wish i could help with the clutch problem, But I'm sure someone will chime in with answers.... As far as the reverse they been problematic since 2010, Some times while in reverse if you don't male a full stop before dropping it into first gear the reverse motor will jam on the reverse ring gear...And will cause what your describing......

Just to add an RPM jump usually is a slipping Clutch!

Again Welcome to Trike-Talk..Pam...:wave4:

Have them check the clutch push rod too and the opposite end where the hydraulic piston is located.:mega-shock:

If they keep changing clutch discs something else is wrong.:eek:mg:

When using reverse ... Never pulse motor .... engage and disengage from a stopped position. Always allow trike to drift a bit after releasing the button (to allow the bendix to retract the drive gear off of the ring gear) ... then brake ... then first gear to cancel. Never brake while button is pushed (will pop the breaker most of the time).

I have 32k on my 2014 with no clutch issues.

Rpms coming up with no increase in speed = clutch disengaging / slipping This would not be a master cylinder as that engages the clutch with pressure. I would be more prone to check the return line orifice being clogged in the slave cylinder not releasing the pressure.

I use H-D Formula+ in my primary.

welcome aboard Pamela. The reverse thing is as stated above. Got to let the drive gear on the reverse to disengage completely before putting it in gear. Sometimes we get in a hurry and hit the shiftier to soon. Most of the time we get away with it, but occasionally not.

The issue with the RPM does sound clutch related. All the cruise does is try to maintain a constant speed by adjusting the throttle, so if the clutch slips the engine RMP will increase to try and compensate. At some point the cruise will self dis-engage if the change is to high of a demand.

Sounds like you just need to have the dealer keep working on it, or maybe try another dealer.

Welcome to the forum!

All great advice on the reverse.

You might think about a different dealership if the same one keeps "fixing" the clutch issue, but it's not really fixed.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png