Low Speed Wobble

Apr 20, 2010
Peeltown, TX
I checked the threads and didn't see a lot posted on this. My Honda dealer says low speed wobble is common to trikes and not much can be done about it. I have an 09 Wing with the Motor Trike IRS with the 4.5 rake. I'm not a super mechanic but I seem to remember having a 2 wheel wing years ago that had the wobble and a fork brace seemed to correct it. I have a new Pilot on the front as well. I am really interested in comments from the forum regarding any experiences/fixes with this issue. Thanks for any comments

Alan :Flag:

Alan,
Check the balance on the tire. I had a simular problem with my trike when it was new (2005). I installed a Super Brace (Fork Brace) and it corected the problem.

Torque check the steering head.
Check front tire for cupping/balance.
IMHO, your Honda dealer is behind the times and misinformed!
Tested many trikes before picking my conversion. The study went on for 4 years! Trike without rake kits and those with rake kits that retained the OEM type bearings, had the low speed wobble. Usually came in at about 20mph and left at around 40mph.
Those with properly installed rake kits which included tapered bearings did not have the wobble.

Last edited:
Alan, I have an '01' Goldwing with a Motor Trike kit. No rake or fork brace, and have never had any problems with wobble. I have been running an MPA or BT45 on the front for most of the 106,000 miles I have had the bike. Might suggest as Trikeleader has, check the balance and tire that you are running. Ride safe.

First thing would be to check and re torque the stem bearings. If the kit is fairly new 1000 to 1500 miles, it is standard procedure to check and re-torque the bearings. To tell if they may be loose. Lift the front up off the ground, while doing so watch the lower end of the forks, or the tire to see if it moves back any at all. If you don't notice any movement once it is off the floor a little grab the forks down low and lift toward you ( pull out ) and release if it clicks or moves any at all, you have just found your slow speed wobble. Re torque the head bearings.

OH yea call the guy that told you that the wobble was inherent to the beast, and tell him he is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

OH yea call the guy that told you that the wobble was inherent to the beast, and tell him he is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

LOL yes, call the guy on the phone (hopefully long distance) and not to his face as this may result in what we refer to as-- gettin your head oiled up! All in fun, Charley :yes:

I can let go Of my Bars at 30 and coast to 0 no wobble . I let go once at 55 no wobble. I have a 1997 Wing /DFT no Rake and a Macadam 50 rear tire on the front running backwards

My 06 vtx1800 converted to a roadsmith without rake kit, it wobbled and amplified the two cylinder vibration(shook the sh-t out of my arms. I just installed a 6% rake all the low speed wobble went away and most of the two cylinder vibration. Also, steers so easy I can't believe the difference!

REOFL

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png