Anyone tried the new Goldwing DCT ?

brianl

300+ Posts
May 16, 2013
leominster, ma. USA
I've been checking out the 2018 Goldwings. I'm thinking that the new DCT (Double-clutch transmission or "automatic") looks like something that might be something fun to drive. Do any trike manufacturers have a kit for it yet? I know some people will say an auto transmission takes away the real motorcycle feel but a lot of people say the same things about riding a trike. I like the idea of not having to listen to the engine or constantly looking at the tachometer to decide when to shift, but just being able to turn the throttle and spend more time enjoying the scenery appeals to me. I've driven one of the early Can-Am automatics and wasn't impressed but I'm sure Honda did a better job with theirs. They have a video where you can hear the engine and it sounds real smooth unlike the Can-Am I drove. Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this. I like it but maybe I'm just getting too lazy to shift.

Can-Am is doing real well with the Auto in the Spider....Probably 75% of spiders sold are Auto... I would guess after the initial gotta only have a manual got theirs. Then the auto will out sell the manual......That is if there isn't any teething problems with the Auto.....

And bye the way.....I don't think there are any 2018 Goldwings in this country as of yet.....

The DCT bikes you still have to shift. You just don't have to grab the clutch and shift with your foot. It is the same as the Can-am's upshifts with your thumb and let it down shift on it's own or down shift with your forefinger. A paddle shifters on the left grip.

Last edited:
The DCT bikes you still have to shift. You just don't have to grab the clutch and shift with your foot. It is the same as the Can-am's upshifts with your thumb and let it down shift on it's own or down shift with your forefinger. A paddle shifters on the left grip.

The video I watched showed using the thumb and fingers to shift was something you do only when you want to like when you're passing someone or want to down-shift going down a hill. The bike is a full automatic and will revert back to shifting on it's own once you stop using the paddles.

I watched a video, you can do full automatic mode or use the paddle shift.

I know it will be a while but if I ever buy another trike, I think that's what I'll get. (I better start saving my money now! LOL)

I ended up buying a 2017 with a Roadsmith kit. 7,200 miles on the bike, kit brand new. I looked at the 2018's and the seat just didn't look or feel comfortable. Checked reviews and that seemed to be the general opinion. The boss (I mean my wife) couldn't stand the seat and she had to lean forward to hang onto the passenger handles which she found really uncomfortable. I do wish I had the DCT transmission but this bike shifts so smooth it isn't a problem.

I had my son change the picture to show my new bike but for some reason it doesn't show when I create a post. It shows on my home page. Any suggestions?

Brian, you have the new bike picture as your Profile Picture, you need to Edit Avatar for it to show up in your posts.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biker Grandma

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biker Grandma
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png