Trailer Hitch

I know this is a thread about hitches but I think this needs to be said. If you actually plan to pull a trailer behind either a TriGlide or a late model (6 speed) HD you should think seriously about a gear change. This may not effect the 2011 TriGlide as they have changed the front pulley to a 30T. My 09 TriGlide, loaded for a 10 day trip, two up, struggled to maintain legal speeds with any kind of wind blowing. Many miles of this trip were done in 5th gear. For reference I weigh 215, the missus weighs quite a bit less (CYA guys;)). My 07 Ultra/CSC kit suffered through the same problems until I changed the gearing. The new CVO/Champion conversion that I'm building will start out with the 30T front pulley for the above reasons. I did have a trailer hitch on the CSC but only used it for a cooler mount.

Dwight

I know this is a thread about hitches but I think this needs to be said. If you actually plan to pull a trailer behind either a TriGlide or a late model (6 speed) HD you should think seriously about a gear change. This may not effect the 2011 TriGlide as they have changed the front pulley to a 30T. My 09 TriGlide, loaded for a 10 day trip, two up, struggled to maintain legal speeds with any kind of wind blowing. Many miles of this trip were done in 5th gear. For reference I weigh 215, the missus weighs quite a bit less (CYA guys;)). My 07 Ultra/CSC kit suffered through the same problems until I changed the gearing. The new CVO/Champion conversion that I'm building will start out with the 30T front pulley for the above reasons. I did have a trailer hitch on the CSC but only used it for a cooler mount.

Dwight

You have a very good point, I know my 2010 was the same way when I 1st bought it and boy was I ticked. Last winter I installed the SE255 cams, Fuelmoto jackpot head pipe and tuned it with a SEPST. Talk about night and day different, took the same trip with the wife and the hills the trike was sucking wind on going up the previous year it sailed up last year. This winter I swapped out the SE255 for the Woods TW-555 and changed the transmission sprocket to a 30 tooth, switched the tuner to a TTS so I could calibrate the speedometer. A couple days ago I took it for a short little jaunt so I could heat it up and change the oil to get the assembly lube out of it. My 1st impressions is this thing is going to rip once its tuned.

Yep...and installation must be by your authorized dealer or your warranty is void.

You'll also have to buy the $79.95 special ball mount to slide into the Harley 1.75" receiver. Of course there will be the Chrome version with laser engraved bar and shield for $125.95.
images
Your warranty will be void if you install or the dealer installes the hitch.

Chuck

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim because of an aftermarket part, unless the part in question actually CAUSED the problem that the warranty claim is about.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim because of an aftermarket part, unless the part in question actually CAUSED the problem that the warranty claim is about.

You are correct, but how many successful out comes have you seen where someone battled the MoCo and came out on top. I have first hand experience on what happens when the dealer or the MoCo rep is unhappy about a modification even with their own parts. My dad had issues with the dealer and a MoCo rep not willing to trouble shoot his Triglide with SE255 cams installed by me. When mention of legal action and the MM act was brought up the owner of the dealership said my dad was more than welcome to persue any legal means he wanted. He also went on to state he would not allow any of his technitians to work on the engine. The MoCo rep flagged the power train warranty with a note that all claims had to be reviewed and cleared with the MoCo on a case by case basis.

Take it for what its worth, if you want to try the MM act I hope you have deep pockets and willing to spend years in court fighting it while you bike or trike sits broken or you fix it out of pocket.

I just bought a 2011 tri-glide and a mchitch for it but the bolt holes are not threaded and the rear holes are partialy blocked so you cannot put bolts in them unless you drill them or grind some of the plastic or fiberglass brace out. Both mchitch and dmc said i have something odd because the holes should be threaded to install the hitch. I think harley changed it so you can't mount the hitch.

Mu dealer says no way. It all depends on who you talk to. Call HD Customer Service and ask them.Their # is 414-343-4056
Liability, liability, liability !!!!! That's all I heard, every other word. If they haven't tested it it will void your warranty. Actually told me that somebody might put a hitch on and pull a lawnmower, warranty voided. ??? Serious !!!!

I said something about putting a 300# rider and a 300# GF on there and having a wreck. Have they tested that??? Actually told me there is a posted weight limit on each bike and if that limit is exceeded they could void the warranty...!!!!

I said they could basically void just about anything and he said yes....!!!!

8~\o

You all responded to a 4-year thread? Boy, must be really slow around here!!!!
Yep, might be old but when circumstances arise that effect you directly it becomes a current issue. I read thru all the 'old' responses and they could have been posted yesterday. Felt instead of starting a new thread to just add to the old. There are some 5-6 threads here addressing the same issues, re-inventing the wheel.

AND at my age "old" is good. :cool:

8~\o

It's interesting that this thread is posted in the Harley Conversions page where all manufacturers of conversions offer a trailer hitch option, rather than the triGlide page!

I had a hitch for my 2014 Triglide and I would install it when needed but take it off when going to the Harley service because once a dealer flags your vin it is in the system. I never pulled a trailer only used it for a flag holder a few times. My Harley dealer just shrugged his shoulders and said hitch I don't see no hitch ;) but all dealers are not the same.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png