2017 inner fairing removal

Dec 14, 2017
Ocala, Fl
Hi,

I bought a painted inner fairing for my 2017 Tri Glide.

I followed the manual and, while I can move the fairing up and down and back and forward, it won't come out.

The manual says to lift and rotate the top of the fairing forward to remove it-no way (at least for me).

I'm obviously missing something but I sure can't figure it out.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi,

I bought a painted inner fairing for my 2017 Tri Glide.

I followed the manual and, while I can move the fairing up and down and back and forward, it won't come out.

The manual says to lift and rotate the top of the fairing forward to remove it-no way (at least for me).

I'm obviously missing something but I sure can't figure it out.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,

Its a two man job. After you unbolt the fairing from the forks left and right side and disconnect the wiring harness, get a large flat blade screwdriver and slightly pry out on the bottom of the fairing frame mount bracket between the bracket itself and the forks while another person stands in front of the bike, tilting the fairing forward and lifting up. I mask off each side of the very bottom rear edge of the plastic fairing with painters tape during the process or the back edge of the lower fairing can get scratched (ask me how I know). A Harley Peal Ice factory touch up paint kit consists of base and clear applicators and runs $40 plus tax and no one stocks it.

Using this method you can remove the whole fairing assembly intact without totally disassembling the electronics, removing the radio and radio mounting brackets, fairing mount brackets, etc. It will all come out as a single piece. I would suggest that you label and number each male and female end of all of the electronics wiring cable plugs so you dont have to try and work by memory when reassembling. Also there will always be a few empty accessory plugs that dont plug into anything. Label these too as you will second guess yourself when you cant remember that they were empty.

When you get it off, you can lay it down on a flat padded area to disassemble and reassemble everything for remounting. This is how I do it, but you can also tear it down piece by piece off the bike if you prefer.

Whichever way you go, its not a bad idea to take lots of good close up pictures along the way of how the various cables, ground wires, antennas and wiring looms are routed and reattached to their strain relief and wire tie points. If you want, you can call me and I will answer any questions you have. My number is 334-648-0157.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png