DIY Rodesmith conversion kit

I am looking at the Roadsmith conversion kit to put on 2007 ultra classic. I was wondering if anyone has installed this kid themselves, not a dealer. I am living on a fixed income and trying to save a few bucks. I have plenty of tools and and a shop to do the Installation. I don’t want to get in over my head. I would appreciate your input on this installation.

Unless you have the correct equipt. you could get in over your head getting it put together...remember you'll have to support the Classic mostly disassembled (minus tour box, seat and everything from the swing arm swivel bolt removed) stable enough to line up and mount the 300+# Conversion assembly without body of course. I didn't do mine and I do have all the equiptment needed, lift 4' wide (not standing on my head anymore), numerous jacks and a specialized jack for the center plate behind the rearend assby. as you will have the wheels off an on many times to get it all setup correctly, jack stands (shortys) and lots of assorted tools / some metric and some american.

I just decided I would rather do what I do and have my installer do what he does and then ride my new trike in a few weeks...if I did it I would get to it inbetween doing other things ahead of this project. Yep it did cost a little more but I sure slept better during and after it was done. Just Fyi / this is not a light weight job done with standard hand tools. Hope that helps..I'm retired also!!

I went with a Champion trike kit which I ordered through a local dealer but like you I wanted to save money so I built mine myself in about 2 weeks of evenings after work! It isn't a piece of cake but I bought a repair manual and called the dealer with questions when I wasn't sure about something. One thing about it I know a hell of a lot more about gl 1800s than before! So if you decide to go for it, good luck! ThumbUp

i haven't had the pleasure of building a harley, but i have installed two roadsmiths and one csc, all good kits.

the csc took a long time to assemble on a 95 wing, but both roadsmiths were insanely simple. the latest one, a 99 valkyrie took 5 hrs. from two wheels to 3, an additional hr. for the rake kit and i was prepping for paint.

it took over half of the 5 hrs. to diassemble the old parts. once it is apart it only takes about 1 1/2 hrs. to complete the job. and take my word for it, you certainly don't need to be a rocket mechanic to do one.

i am very impressed with roadsmith. they definitly got it right. i hope no one ever experiences warrantee work, but man will roadsmith come to your rescue in a hurry.

I installed my DFT on a GL1800. It wasn't a really hard job, but it required good tools, and a safe way to lift the bike and the trike assembly, at the same time. The hardest part was installing the rake kit, and doing the bodywork and paint. I'm still not done with the paint, winter project. It might easily be harder on a Roadsmith, the DFT almost seemed to be made for DIY. The subassembly they sell is almost completely assembled, and simply bolts to existing holes, and the stock swingarm. Getting things lined up was not a piece of cake, but not that bad. There are no suspension adjustments, other than the antiroll bar, and rear shock preload.

In addition to seeing whether the trike company will sell to DIYs, you need to check how your insurance company feels. I had to change insurance companies.

I did it for the experience, and the confidence. I do most of my own work. I'm not sure it would be worth it for the money, particularly if you need to buy tools and lift capability.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png