2017 Tri Lost wheel bearings.

Was it the front wheel bearings?

Once they went to the sealed bearings they don't seem to last as long as the cone bearings from the earlier models.

While I do not own this Trike I am watching this post with great interest because my wife and I are considering looking at them.

Another reason I am drawn to this post is back in the 60’s my uncle used to buy old Chicago Police Trikes and he also had the front wheel bearings fail while he was riding on the expressway. It has made me pay more attention to front bearing issues. Granted progress has been made but it still raises a red flag for me.

Jason

IMO the trouble started with Chinese vendors

What ever happened to USA made bearings

I have had NEW bearings fail @ an alarming rate

Most all were import brands

I get the global economy and the bean counters@HD trying to cut costs

With the limited info the OP has given, Why all the speculation? Its the Chinese , Its the seald bearings, Its the bean counters, Maybe i won't buy a Tri. I think its the Russians causing the bearing to go bad...:laugh:

Bob, you are right in most of this post

How ever, most all bearings are now in fact made in China

Not sayin this is a real bad move

I just like USA made bearings, having worked in and around this industry most of my adult life

I have seen a down turn in quality control

Take a look next time at bearings and seals

I have never liked a sealed bearing, the cheap dust shield IMO does NOT protect the bearing

I bet it says on the package made in so and so packaged in USA;)

I pop the plastic so called seal off one end , and repack them with nice sticky waterproof grease every front tire change. Never use a powerwasher to blast the front wheel at the front spindle. its not a waterproof bearing.

;) This is a must read IMO

The thin shield will not hold out much water

If you look close at that bearing, it is VERY similar (constructed and the dust shield) to a GM alternator bearing

When I was rebuilding alternators with my dad we had a local source for those USA made bearings

As the reman market dwindled due to cheaper costs in on stock remans we could no longer get the bearings

Again, the over seas bearings, seals and other parts are just to darn cheapo

American manufacturers cannot compete

Even ALL Balls can no longer say they are USA made any more Just My 02 cents here

Unfortunately for the consumer, manufacturers in general always go to the lowest cost provider for components they use. There are are exceptions, however they are few & far between. Stock prices & company profits are #1 concerns for most companies/corporations, while quality comes in a distant second.

This is fact, and unless something changes here to lower costs of sourced parts as well as labor, energy, property taxes, etc., etc., the foreigners will continue to "eat our lunch" while most times providing poor quality goods.

On projects that I have final quality control over, I'm all about using American made parts vs off shore. Sadly at times, there is no longer an American company making the specific part needed...:mad:

Wheel bearings toast with just 36000 miles on the Tri, All fixed under warranty, I hope the new set lasts longer.

If you take the old bearings to a jobber - a parts dealer that serves auto repair shops - you will find the same generic bearing for a fraction of the cost. Generic front wheel bearings for my 1990 FLHTC used to cost about $5 a decade ago. That was so cheap that I changed them whenever I changed a front tire and kept a set in the garage just in case. As others noted, Chink bearings are not as good but you might find US made. Good luck.

While I do not own this Trike I am watching this post with great interest because my wife and I are considering looking at them.

Another reason I am drawn to this post is back in the 60’s my uncle used to buy old Chicago Police Trikes and he also had the front wheel bearings fail while he was riding on the expressway. It has made me pay more attention to front bearing issues. Granted progress has been made but it still raises a red flag for me.

Jason

Geeze .......... They rode those things year round. What with all the slush after the city would salt the streets I'm not surprised. The H-D Servi-Car : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Servi-Car

Yes being I was a Southsider I remember the winter of 1967 specifically. That was a pretty deep snow year. The policeman riding the three wheeler Harley's were kind of amazing.

Jason

I remember the winter of 67 also, The temps were in the 90+ range and 100% humidity, Also heavy rains for a month or so....:D

Sorry For Late getting Back Here,

I had 3600 miles on the Tri not 36000. I never use a power washer and have only had water on the Tri 3 times. I heard the bearing going south on my way home even with the radio on , Could feel it in the bars also and floorboards. Just made it to the dealers in time about a 10 mile ride from the time I heard and felt it. Dealer was very good at getting it back to me on Christmas week end had it back wed after Christmas.

I had 3600 miles on the Tri not 36000. I never use a power washer and have only had water on the Tri 3 times. I heard the bearing going south on my way home even with the radio on , Could feel it in the bars also and floorboards. Just made it to the dealers in time about a 10 mile ride from the time I heard and felt it. Dealer was very good at getting it back to me on Christmas week end had it back wed after Christmas.

Good to hear they took care of your quickly.

3600 miles...wow. Seems obvious it was out of spec from the get go, just took a few miles for it to grenade.

Fortunately, that does not happen that frequently.

Since HD went to non-serviceable bearings I check them every tire change. In several hundred thousand miles of riding with these new bearings I've only ever felt the need to replace one pair.

I personally don't miss having to repack the bearings every tire change.

Kevin

A while back I stopped at a local auto parts dealer and asked if they stocked Timken bearings. Pulled a set that would fit the front wheel right off the shelf. "Made in China".

I asked if he knew of any US made bearings. With a laugh, he told me no. He also suggested packing the bearings after popping out the dust shield before they even installed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png