DNA on a Softail

Jan 3, 2018
ONTARIO CANADA
I plan on building a Softail trike soon , probably using a FLSTC or a FLSTF and a DNA kit.........has anybody got any advice or suggestions ?.......I don't want to get into tearing the front forks off for a rake kit , just want to keep it simple with no box on back.......any advice on rear wheel size ?....would 14" wheels make it ride better..........any realistic advice is appreciated !

I plan on building a Softail trike soon , probably using a FLSTC or a FLSTF and a DNA kit.........has anybody got any advice or suggestions ?.......I don't want to get into tearing the front forks off for a rake kit , just want to keep it simple with no box on back.......any advice on rear wheel size ?....would 14" wheels make it ride better..........any realistic advice is appreciated !

Welcome Jeff,

I would suggest going with a 15" wheel and tire as that is pretty much the industry standard for trike conversions and there is a much better selection of tires available in that size which also means prices will be more competitive. As for the rake kit, yes you do not have to install a rake kit, but if you dont, you will wish you did. Not just for ease of steering, but for safety.

Welcome to Trike Talk

15 inch rear wheels and tires are popular sizes for trikes

The softail front end should handle quite good for a trike

I have a friend that Trikes a FLHT with a softail front end it steers nice

Welcome Jeff,

I would suggest going with a 15" wheel and tire as that is pretty much the industry standard for trike conversions and there is a much better selection of tires available in that size which also means prices will be more competitive. As for the rake kit, yes you do not have to install a rake kit, but if you dont, you will wish you did. Not just for ease of steering, but for safety.

Thanks Papa....I believe the softail has about 3 more degrees rake than the FLHs.....32 degrees I believe , do you think that I would need more ?...also , the safety aspect , do you think I might get front end wobble ?....let me know what you think....thanks...Jeff

Recommended Rim size, back spacing and offset

Good evening all,

I have seen may posts about DNA, but unable to locate one that will tell me the specifics for the rim requirements.

For example, I see 15 is recommended.

I read that 205x65x15 is a good tire size

I read that a 7.5 inch is a good rim width.

I talked with DNA today, and they mentioned 3 3/4 backspacing,

No mention of offset.

So can I safely assume that the 3 3/4 is the max as to not hit caliper?

That I would be best server by a 2 to 3 inch back spacing?

Please advise

DRM

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png