Broken welds on rear end tubing on solid axle Champion.

Jan 9, 2018
Omaha Nebraska
Doing some searching, looking for as much info i can find. I bought my 2006 flhtpi in march, put 2500 miles on it, and enjoyed all of it. After thorough inspections i noticed a strap over the top of axle tube was snapped. I figured winter was coming and i would wait to fix. Winter is here. Axle is split to repair. I have rewelded and am almost ready to put back together. Can i seperate aluminum belt pulley from the aluminum differential? Can i remove allen bolts from diff and repack with hi temp grease. Not much good looking grease that i can see through the splined hole? Not sure if i am even posting this any where. I hope so. Thanks if so.

:welcome:Mr. Billbo Baggins, :wave4:Don’t rush into it, there is a thread on the rear diff. Just can’t find it. I’m sure you will get your answer before days end .

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I am in no hurry to repair my trike. Another snow storm coming in again! I will search this site for any and all info before i make any changes. Local harley dealer is of no help, unless i am buying a new trike.

Hers a pix of a 2012 HD Bill, don’t know if yours is the same or not. There is no serviceable parts involved. Other than popping the seals on the case bearings to repack them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 273
Doing some searching, looking for as much info i can find. I bought my 2006 flhtpi in march, put 2500 miles on it, and enjoyed all of it. After thorough inspections i noticed a strap over the top of axle tube was snapped. I figured winter was coming and i would wait to fix. Winter is here. Axle is split to repair. I have rewelded and am almost ready to put back together. Can i seperate aluminum belt pulley from the aluminum differential? Can i remove allen bolts from diff and repack with hi temp grease. Not much good looking grease that i can see through the splined hole? Not sure if i am even posting this any where. I hope so. Thanks if so.

I am confused by your description of the broken welded part. I cannot figure what strap might have broken .... maybe a PINCH BLOCK CLAMP ??

Champion offered 2 distinctly different rear axles on their straight axle models at that time. One had large tubing (pipe) that held the two halves of the axle assembly (2 big bolts) and the other had spider shaped cast aluminum flanges (3 big bolts).

These units came without drive pulleys up to 2004 and after they had pulleys installed. It can be disassembled with care and NO POWER tools since you are working with aluminum and steel fasteners.

I spoke with Champion ... a year or so ago about a similar differential question. They told me that they were sealed and had never experienced a failure or need for service.

Take that for what it is worth.

If it was assembled, it can be disassembled. The bolts are probably loctited so great care should be taken.

I am confused by your description of the broken welded part. I cannot figure what strap might have broken .... maybe a PINCH BLOCK CLAMP ??

Champion offered 2 distinctly different rear axles on their straight axle models at that time. One had large tubing (pipe) that held the two halves of the axle assembly (2 big bolts) and the other had spider shaped cast aluminum flanges (3 big bolts).

These units came without drive pulleys up to 2004 and after they had pulleys installed. It can be disassembled with care and NO POWER tools since you are working with aluminum and steel fasteners.

I spoke with Champion ... a year or so ago about a similar differential question. They told me that they were sealed and had never experienced a failure or need for service.

Take that for what it is worth.

If it was assembled, it can be disassembled. The bolts are probably loctited so great care should be taken.

I also dont understand exactly what Bill is describing. The bike, he says is a 2006 Police Roadking and if the Champion kit is a 2006 also, it should be the newer star style with three bolts, unless the kit was a holdover of the older style.

Bill, can you post a picture of the broken part you are describing along with a broader pic of the whole rear end assembly?

I also dont understand what Bill was describing. The bike, he says is a 2006 Police Roadking and if the Champion kit is a 2006 also, it should be the newer star style with three bolts, unless the kit was a holdover of the older style.

Bill, can you post a picture of the broken part you are describing along with a broader pic of the whole rear end assembly?

Zook, there is a lot of weird trikes out there.

He might have a Motortrike.

Newer bikes with older kits is getting to be common place.:Shrug:

Look at the one I just put together.

Pictures would sure be nice and maybe prerequisite to any technical questions too.:)

Broken welds on solid axle champion.

Problem is fixxed besides some fresh paint, i welded a piece of 3/16 × 1 like a truss over the top of previously broken piece. The bike is 06 electra glide police model, 50,000 on the bike now trike kit was put on at 21,000. I have had the bike for almost a year i put 2500 on it. I called champion this week to see if i could ship the broken part to them and have it repaired by them, gentleman asked if the rearend was the triangle type with three bolts, or the one with aluminum carrier powder coated tube type with two allen bolt. I told him it was the powder coated one , he told me there is nothing he could do for me, that this is obselete. I would love to add some pictures, but i am working from my cell phone and im not sure how to proceed.Thanks again for putting up with my posts.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png