Should I buy more Warranty?

Re-flashing the ecm and changing the air cleaner back are pretty easy, but the trailer hitch uninstall would be another issue for me if I were on the road. I had to put my Freewheeler on wheel ramps and loosen the exhaust pipes to remove and replace the frame bolts with longer ones and then reassemble. With my latest "old guy" issue, Essential Tremors, it was fun trying to get the bolts/nuts installed at the rear above the pipes. Took me a day just to do that.

I was reading some threads on the cost to rebuild an engine. Seems like it was $3,500 to $4,500 for a complete rebuild (twin cam). I'm not sure how accurate the costs estimates are, but if an extended warranty is $2,700 and you could still be denied warranty if a dealer doesn't like what you've done, seems like it isn't risking a lot to go forward without the extended warranty.

Just FYI a rebuild with a new long block for a 2015 CVO 110 is $6,000. My neighbor just got that price to have hers done at Space Coast Harley. It appears she spun a bearing with 25k on her Street Glide CVO. No extended Warrantee

It's the electrical stuff that I've used my warranty on more than anything else.

After the my first TG engine top end got replaced under warranty for heat damage, we got the heat figured out, and I've had zero power train issues since then. (over one hundred thousand miles)

I've had several reverse motors replaced, a stereo head unit, several control paks....never had the infotainment go out...but if it did, that is around $2000.

Kevin

Re-flashing the ecm and changing the air cleaner back are pretty easy, but the trailer hitch uninstall would be another issue for me if I were on the road. I had to put my Freewheeler on wheel ramps and loosen the exhaust pipes to remove and replace the frame bolts with longer ones and then reassemble. With my latest "old guy" issue, Essential Tremors, it was fun trying to get the bolts/nuts installed at the rear above the pipes. Took me a day just to do that.

I was reading some threads on the cost to rebuild an engine. Seems like it was $3,500 to $4,500 for a complete rebuild (twin cam). I'm not sure how accurate the costs estimates are, but if an extended warranty is $2,700 and you could still be denied warranty if a dealer doesn't like what you've done, seems like it isn't risking a lot to go forward without the extended warranty.

Thanks for your thoughts Ron. I've already purchased the contract. I guess though in theory I could get a rebuilt engine every year for the next 5 years from the contract. That assumes they don't find a way to deny my claim.

Just FYI a rebuild with a new long block for a 2015 CVO 110 is $6,000. My neighbor just got that price to have hers done at Space Coast Harley. It appears she spun a bearing with 25k on her Street Glide CVO. No extended Warrantee

Reports like this are what convinced me that being without a service contract on my Harley would be financial suicide.

Reports like this are what convinced me that being without a service contract on my Harley would be financial suicide.

When my Streetbob blew up I had 50 dollars out of pocket with ESP

The next day a guy brought in 1 with less miles than mine but NO ESP

It cost at 5k when said and done for him

It gets expensive really quickly when you are talking about rebuilds or replacements for the Harley motors. I sure hope the M8s hold up better than the 110" TCs. I had four failures on TC 110s - two each on two different bikes. And no, I don't abuse them just ride them very normally and harley above 75 mph or 4k rpm. Lifters and cam bearings are the culprits.

It gets expensive really quickly when you are talking about rebuilds or replacements for the Harley motors. I sure hope the M8s hold up better than the 110" TCs. I had four failures on TC 110s - two each on two different bikes. And no, I don't abuse them just ride them very normally and harley above 75 mph or 4k rpm. Lifters and cam bearings are the culprits.

Other cheap I dunno what HD was thinking with the poor lifter block and lifters design for the TC

I have seen many 110s suffer rear head gasket failures also

Dont get me going on the poor at best cam chains:p

It's the electrical stuff that I've used my warranty on more than anything else.

After the my first TG engine top end got replaced under warranty for heat damage, we got the heat figured out, and I've had zero power train issues since then. (over one hundred thousand miles)

I've had several reverse motors replaced, a stereo head unit, several control paks....never had the infotainment go out...but if it did, that is around $2000.

Kevin

That's where 90% of my issues have been with Harley and Indian. Todays bike just have way too much dependent of electrical parts are working together. You don't just up an add any electrical doodad to my Indian or you might start throwing error codes or worse. But I do agree with flashing the ECM so the machine can actually do what it was designed to do. The EPA is killing us in that area. But there have been warranty claims denied because a tune flash was different than stock. So it is an issue on the Indian side and I can see Harley doing the same at some point if not already. I do see there side of it. The brains of these new machines is much different than the days of points and condensers. And with the power they have, leaving them stock they are still more powerful than bikes of the 60's. But this whole thread will be like an oil thread. There is no one answer for everyone. So with that, that's my take on the whole thing.

I keep on hearing if something blows up just put it back to stock....And that might work if it blew up on your driveway.... Hypothetically speaking...

You are on Vacation in Moose Leg Corners Iowa, And you forgot to bring along your Snap-on tool chest and the extra stock parts/pipes... Or you had the dealer install the offending part because you didn't have the wherewithal to do it your self......Therein lies the conundrum...:gah:My opinion if anyone is worried about the warrteny, just leave the Trike stock, Or just change what you want, And why worry...Been there a few times Myself when i tried to out think the engineers...

xactly why my tri is stock w the exception of Harley tuner and cam. That way if something lets go, it is all H-D inside and out.

I just looked back on my last 7 new Harleys

All had Extended Warranties

All warranties were used saving me a lot of money and worries

1 complete engine clocked in @ a bit over 4,500.00

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png