Two Wheels to Three - any regrets?

Hello group. New to forum. In recent months I’ve become really intrigued by trikes, specifically Tri-Glides. I have a friend who has one and he loves it. If I buy one, I would have to give up my Street Glide (can’t own two mc’s). For those of you that have made the switch to three wheels - any regrets? I know the riding experience is completely different, and I’m concerned that I might miss the sportiness of my two wheeler. Appreciate your comments.

No regrets, my wife was no longer comfortable riding on the back of the Ultra. We stopped at the dealer and she saw the Tri Glide, I was in the parts dept. by the time I got over there she was talking to the salesman. Needless to say we bought a Tri that day. We've ridden it for 2 summers now and really like it.

Welcome to Trike- Talk Steve...:wave4:

As far as Regrets...None, My first street trike was back in 2008, I did keep my two wheelers in-till last Summer, Now i just have the 2017 Tri-Glide...You'll always will miss the two wheels, But at some point i realized its more fun to ride all year then to park a bike all winter...

And at my age 72, the fear of death, over rides the joy of speed...

Welcome to Trike- Talk Steve...:wave4:

As far as Regrets...None, My first street trike was back in 2008, I did keep my two wheelers in-till last Summer, Now i just have the 2017 Tri-Glide...You'll always will miss the two wheels, But at some point i realized its more fun to ride all year then to park a bike all winter...

And at my age 72, the fear of death, over rides the joy of speed...

About sums up my view on trikes, and yes the time does come when one must part with two wheels. Just turned 73, wife and I both feel the trike was a good move.

I’m concerned that I might miss the sportiness of my two wheeler. Appreciate your comments.

I did miss it for awhile, but the advantages of having 3 wheels cured me in a short time. I traded my Road King for my 2015 Freewheeler; however, had I kept the Road King it would have stayed parked and I would have sold it long ago. I had to buy trinkets for my trike.

Reactions: MDO
Yes I have regrets, now let me explain, I have 2 other bikes both 2 wheelers, didn't ride them much, lucky if I put 200 miles a year on each of them. Been looking at trikes for over a year and was thinking I would ride it more than the 2 wheelers, not the case in my book, I still love to ride but I guess not as many miles as I used to, I only put maybe 250 miles on my 2016 triglide last year, put 10 miles on my 2002 road king, and 10 miles on my 1997 softail.

For the miles I put on the triglide, it wasn't worth putting that kind of money into the bike plus all the add on's that I did, should have just kept putting some miles on the 2 wheelers each year and been happy, now I'm just whole lot poorer than I was last year for the money I spent and invested into the 2016.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy riding the trike, but don't put enough miles on it to justify having it like most of the people on here that do quite a few miles each year, good for them, I'm not one of them anymore like I used to be.

All for now Trampas

Hello group. New to forum. In recent months I’ve become really intrigued by trikes, specifically Tri-Glides. I have a friend who has one and he loves it. If I buy one, I would have to give up my Street Glide (can’t own two mc’s). For those of you that have made the switch to three wheels - any regrets? I know the riding experience is completely different, and I’m concerned that I might miss the sportiness of my two wheeler. Appreciate your comments.

Yes - that I can no longer do both. If I could and only have one, it'd be a bike, but a trike is great in its own way. My advise: keep your bike as long as you can ride it then go to a trike.

2 vice 3

I consider myself one of the lucky/fortunate one's as I have been able (financially & physicially) to keep my 2 wheeler and the trike. Having both gives me the option (at 73 yrs) to ride EITHER. Thoroughly enjoy the bike but lean more/more to the trike!

EVERBODY 'RIDE SAFE'

:laugh:

In my case i was still able to ride two wheels,but the wife with knee surgery and foot surgery could no longer get on a two wheeler so i traded for a 2016 Tri Glide in May of 2016.To be perfectly honest i hated it but the wife was happy to be riding again.So after about 2000 miles of getting used to it,it started to grow on me we put 8500 miles on it between May and Sept of 2016.So in Sept of 16 we traded for a 17 Tri Glide,we now have a trailer for it and we have a blast it now has 9500 miles on it.

Now i still miss two wheels and plan on getting a older bagger to ride when i go with my buddies,but as far as riding two up it will always be on a trike.I would suggest renting a Tri Glide for a couple days before you buy one.Nothing worse than buyers remorse.

No regrets on the trike experience for me. After 50 + years of riding on two wheels, it was a change but the wife and I both feel safer and more comfortable on the Tri Glide. Now in our mid-seventies, we feel it has added at least 10 more years to our riding time. ThumbUp

No regrets at all. If I had the $ and space in the garage, I might have kept the bike along with the trike. We had to make a decision that either I would ride the bike solo or my wife would be ale to ride with me on the trike. We opted for the trike and with 16,000 miles on it now, no thoughts of going back. As has been posted, rent one for a few days and see what you think. If you do, keep in mind that there are "improvements" that most of us make that will not be on a rental unit. Good luck.

NONE. I'm 74 and enjoy every second of riding. I still get a chance to ride 2 wheelers a few times each year.

Trampas, why do you even have a bike let alone 3 = 270 miles a year? That's love!! :D

I ride approx. 12K ~ 15K miles a year -3 long distance rides per year. My right hip is now starting to bother me. Will need an operation probably this year or next year. Thinking on buying a 100 ~ 200cc scooter to just ride around locally.

None at all. I just recently made the switch from two wheels to three in September, 2017. Got about 3k on the 2018 Tri-Glide and loving every mile as does my co-rider. Honestly I don't miss the two wheeler as I didn't realize just how much stress was involved (especially when loaded and two-up) when coming to stops and checking the road surface for potential issues, going slow in parking lots and being concerned about some a-hole not paying attention and forcing me to brake quickly when turning, etc, etc. While I am extremely careful and aware as always there it is much more comfortable to have that third wheel and not have to worry about a spill. I won't go back - only forward and on three wheels.

Other than the terrible NY road conditions, NO!

This year looks to be pot hole year worse than others as it has started with this January thaw. Miss them with the front and hit them with the rear, or do a lot of zig zagging.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png