Selling a Trike

When selling a Goldwing trike, what is the proper response to a prospectus buyer when they ask

to take your trike for a "test ride"?

I am against the idea.

Your opinion is important to me, Cheers!

No way no how......Unless they hand you the asking price in cash.....But a way to avoid the question is to take the plates off and just say...Can't ride it...

Think about the Allstate Mayhem Man....

When selling a Goldwing trike, what is the proper response to a prospectus buyer when they ask

to take your trike for a "test ride"?

I am against the idea.

Your opinion is important to me, Cheers!

I find this a dilemma also because I know I would not buy a trike before driving it. I guess the best scenario is to first make sure the person has a motorcycle license and then try to accompany them on another bike or vehicle. I don’t know how insurance works about this. I’m sure several folks will chime in here with some good information. Glad you brought this up.

Pretty simple answer: As long as you have current, full coverage/comprehensive insurance that covers anyone who may ride your trike, its all good.

I'd make sure they handed the "deductible" amount on your policy over in cash before any "test" along with their drivers license as well, for safe keeping until after the test ride. All of that being "non negotiable" if they want to take a solo ride.

If you no longer carry insurance on it, No test pilots allowed...

here's my take on the situation.

before I would let anybody test ride my trike I would want to know, positively have they ever ridden a trike before.

if not then no way.

most people feel that just because they've ridden a bike for 20 years they can handle a trike.

they are not ready for the difference between the 2 vehicles.

if they are experienced with a trike then I would definitely at least want the deductible in my hand before they take off.

with a signed paper stating that if they wreck it or damage it the deductible is kept to repair said trike.

if you don't have full coverage on the trike then I'd want the asking price in my hand before them taking it out.

with a signed paper of course.

if they still insist then I tell them hop on the back seat and i'll take them for a ride.

Let me relate my experience when selling one of my trikes. Even back then I wouldn't let anyone test ride my trike, period! I had a VW trike for sale and a prospective buyer came over to look at it. He had never ridden a trike before and wanted a test ride so I accommodated him by letting him ride on the back. During the test ride I took it through all the gears, took it through some twisties, used the brakes, etc. I also stressed the differences between trikes and 2 wheelers like Think Wide (Don't hang a rear wheel on something.), DON'T PUT YOUR FEET DOWN WHILE STOPPING, how a trike leans "the wrong way" in a turn and especially how a trike's handlebars move when you come out of a driveway on an angle (usually causing a novice rider to freak out and roll the throttle on). He was satisfied and we completed the transaction.

He happily hopped on the trike and headed of down the street and pulled into the gas station lot at the end of the block to turn around and go back down the street the way he had come. The whole world went into slow motion as he came back out of the gas station lot on an angle, the front end wobbled, he freaked and rolled the throttle, pulled the front wheel, went across the street on 2 wheels, caught a diagonal guy wire for a power pole, and flipped the trike completely upside down in the street! Needless to say, the money was already in the house out of sight.

He came out of the crash with a pretty nasty scrape/road rash on his leg but otherwise OK. His first response upon reaching him was "I don't think I want this thing." at which time I informed him that he broke it, he bought it and hoped things wouldn't get ugly.

Luckily it all worked out. He went to the hospital and got his leg fixed up and returned the next day with a trailer for the trike. Luckily the damage was all cosmetic and the trike was mechanically sound. Never saw the trike again but did hear it was still on the road 6 years later and by the same owner.

My advice: Put them on the back and put it through the paces that they want so they are satisfied. If that's not good enough, there will be another buyer.

This dilemma is why I never sell or buy from a private party. I know two or three dealers i've felt with for years that are really fair. Couple of them will sell on consignment for a couple hundred bucks.

NO NO NO... A guy I worked with let someone test ride his 2 wheeler. Last he saw it ,it was turning the corner !!!!

That happened to a friend of mine. The prospective buyer arrived via car with a female driver who took off right behind his Harley. Her license plate was MIA so he never saw his Harley again.

We bought both of our trikes here in west Texas from private sellers. Both sellers allowed us to test drive the trikes without any obligation and without chaperone. I might add that when Jim bought his Piper Cherokee it was the same...in fact the owner offered to let Jim take it for a week and then decide (which we did not do). I don’t know...maybe west Texans are a little more trusting than should be. Like Pioneer11 I would never buy any vehicle without a test drive. Having said this, in selling a trike or bike I put it on consignment at the dealer as he told me his insurance takes care of any possible negative scenario. I feel his fee is well worth my not having to deal with the sale hassles.

I would not buy a used bike or tike without being able to test ride it, private or dealer. Also may allow a test ride if selling a bike or trike as long as the buyer has proper credential, then only in a open parking lot.

Sold quite a few scooters/bikes, my policy is to tell the looker to bring selling price cash as that will get you the test ride. Crash/brake it you own it. Also ask to see there m/c license, at least ya got a chance it will come back in one piece.

I trust NO ONE!

Back in 2000, 5 of us went to bike week in Daytona and ate at the Red lobster. Parking lot was full in front, so we parked on the side, all locked up , steering locked etc. After dinner one bike was missing. Local LEO said the outlaws drive around in extended vans, put the front wheel on a skateboard and into the van it goes never to be seen again.

Do Not Take Any Thing For Granted. :nonono:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png